Above medians.... should I retake?

colorando

Above medians.... should I retake?

Postby colorando » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:12 am

I'm above the medians for LSAT at all the schools I'm looking to apply in the fall. I'm also either at or above their 75th percentile scores.... (I got a 166, and I was PT pretty consistently 169-171).

Given that the most I can hope for is a greater security of acceptance/more money, should I endeavor to take the LSAT again? I would think that as I'm already above the median (and 75th percent if schools even consider this), that a few points wouldn't make a huge difference in scholarship offers if I can otherwise convince schools of my candidacy.

Am I misguided here? I'm not afraid of the test but I'm realistic in knowing that it will take me at least 2 monthes to assure even a modest point gain, and taking the Oct LSAT will delay the consideration of my applications a little bit.

booboo

Re: Above medians.... should I retake?

Postby booboo » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:23 am

Do you have the time to spend or can you do something more fruitful (read: profitable or life enriching)? If yes, then sure. There are many cases where people practice harder on retakes and end up going to schools above their original target. If no... Just ponder on how comfortable you are with your target school, and the expected loans.

colorando

Postby colorando » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:33 am

I'm pretty set on my target schools. While the idea of cracking the top 10 is intriguing, it doesn't really offer me a whole lot more in terms of career goals (no big law ambitions) and it would compromise my quality of life. So I'm not shooting myself in the foot by staying with my current score?

seancris

Postby seancris » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:28 am

You're good to go. Fuck everyone who disagrees with my assessment.

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:11 pm

colorando wrote:I'm above the medians for LSAT at all the schools I'm looking to apply in the fall. I'm also either at or above their 75th percentile scores.... (I got a 166, and I was PT pretty consistently 169-171).

Given that the most I can hope for is a greater security of acceptance/more money, should I endeavor to take the LSAT again? I would think that as I'm already above the median (and 75th percent if schools even consider this), that a few points wouldn't make a huge difference in scholarship offers if I can otherwise convince schools of my candidacy.

Am I misguided here? I'm not afraid of the test but I'm realistic in knowing that it will take me at least 2 monthes to assure even a modest point gain, and taking the Oct LSAT will delay the consideration of my applications a little bit.

If you can bring up your score even 1 or 2 points, it will outweigh the lateness as schools don't really do much till around thanksgiving regardless. you'll also get more $, and maybe realize you need a top 14. this all changes if you're african american in which case you're in a top 5 regardless.

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:22 pm

Oct won't delay your applications too much. If I were you, I'd go ahead and sign up, then see if you can get your PT's consistently into the mid 170s. It's pretty much a free shot because most schools will take your highest score anyway. I see very little downside except for the time spent prepping.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”