Is Power Score making up their own Logic Games!!??

ericwootton
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:28 pm

Is Power Score making up their own Logic Games!!??

Postby ericwootton » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:58 pm

Hey All,

So I own every single dang prep test EVER issued by LSAC, from the modern era (Minus PT 63).

I'm talking 1-62 + the five "mystery tests".

I've also taken the Power Score full course. So for those of you familiar with Power Score's FULL course. It's divided up into 11 Lessons.

In Lesson one, in the Logic Games section, they cover pure sequencing games. Then in the Lesson 1 Homework they have 10 pure sequencing games for your practice.

Now out of those 10 games 4 of them I have matched up with actual Prep Tests. However 6 of them I can't find a match to anywhere. Which means that out of the 268 games that I own, not a single one that I could find matched any of these six games.

So I'm not going to type out the whole game because I don't want to be in any kind of copy-write law violation. But I will give you the first few words of each of these "mystery" Power Score games to see if any of you guys recognize them. i.e. Which prep tests is PowerScore getting these games from?

1. Exactly six people, Rana, Stan, Terri...
2. Christine is sorting six files...
3. LogoData employees Ann, Bora, Carl...
4. Ali, Bita, Clare, Dario, Eun...
5. Ann, Bob, Chris, David...
6. A radio station plays ten songs...

Perhaps these are pre-modern era. Any help would be greatly appreciated because this mystery is driving me nuts!


- Thanks,

Eric

User avatar
blurbz
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: Is Power Score making up their own Logic Games!!??

Postby blurbz » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:01 pm

A lot of test companies make up games. I know many of the powerscore books say that the games in them are all from real tests but that doesn't necessarily mean that all of the games used in their class will be. Why does it bother you so much? Just concentrate on taking the real games you already own and you'll be fine.

User avatar
soj
Posts: 7735
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: Is Power Score making up their own Logic Games!!??

Postby soj » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:16 pm

Sup Eric, how's working at Kaplan?

User avatar
Grond
Posts: 255
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:33 am

Re: Is Power Score making up their own Logic Games!!??

Postby Grond » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:26 pm

All of the questions used in Powerscore materials are real LSAT questions. OP is using materials that are several years old. I'll have to go find a five year old book and see which LSATs they came from.

ericwootton
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:28 pm

Re: Is Power Score making up their own Logic Games!!??

Postby ericwootton » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:28 pm

Hey Blurbz,

I generally find it annoying that PowerScore constantly says that you should never use made up games, but then they might be doing the same.

- Eric

ericwootton
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:28 pm

Re: Is Power Score making up their own Logic Games!!??

Postby ericwootton » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:30 pm

Hey Soj,

I don't work at Kaplan. I'm not sure if you are mistaking me for an instructor that you might have had with a similar name, or simply accusing me of being an employee of a prep company??

Either way, I'm not "that guy".

- Eric

User avatar
Grond
Posts: 255
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:33 am

Re: Is Power Score making up their own Logic Games!!??

Postby Grond » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:41 pm

ericwootton wrote:Hey Blurbz,

I generally find it annoying that PowerScore constantly says that you should never use made up games, but then they might be doing the same.

- Eric


Why are you using five year old materials?

User avatar
blurbz
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: Is Power Score making up their own Logic Games!!??

Postby blurbz » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:50 pm

ericwootton wrote:Hey Soj,

I don't work at Kaplan. I'm not sure if you are mistaking me for an instructor that you might have had with a similar name, or simply accusing me of being an employee of a prep company??

Either way, I'm not "that guy".

- Eric



In fact, I think you're exactly what people think of when they think "that guy."

Image

User avatar
suspicious android
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Is Power Score making up their own Logic Games!!??

Postby suspicious android » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:05 pm

What's with the bum's rush on the OP? It's an interesting and legitimate question, I think.

ericwootton
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:28 pm

Re: Is Power Score making up their own Logic Games!!??

Postby ericwootton » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:10 pm

Hey Blurbz,

You're right I'm totally that guy. I'm the guy that just registered for this forum thinking that if I wrote out a detailed question that someone would actually try to answer my question rather than ask me why I care, or why I own old materials etc.

Thanks for all of the help!

- Eric

User avatar
soj
Posts: 7735
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: Is Power Score making up their own Logic Games!!??

Postby soj » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:44 pm

Honestly, I don't think we can locate the PTs just by that information, and even if we could, we wouldn't (too much work).

Possible explanations are:
1) The games do come from PTs and you just haven't found them
2) PS sometimes paraphrases real games
3) PS uses fake games in their full course

d34d9823
Posts: 1915
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: Is Power Score making up their own Logic Games!!??

Postby d34d9823 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:47 pm

suspicious android wrote:What's with the bum's rush on the OP? It's an interesting and legitimate question, I think.

*ahem* He is doing that weird interested but disinterested thing and signing his name to posts. What did you expect?

User avatar
Grond
Posts: 255
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:33 am

Re: Is Power Score making up their own Logic Games!!??

Postby Grond » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:56 pm

soj wrote:Honestly, I don't think we can locate the PTs just by that information, and even if we could, we wouldn't (too much work).

Possible explanations are:
1) The games do come from PTs and you just haven't found them
2) PS sometimes paraphrases real games
3) PS uses fake games in their full course


Pay attention people. Powerscore uses nothing but real lsat Qs. No paraphrasing, and no fake games.

User avatar
Clarity
Posts: 110
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:05 pm

Re: Is Power Score making up their own Logic Games!!??

Postby Clarity » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:02 pm

ericwootton wrote:Hey All,

So I own every single dang prep test EVER issued by LSAC, from the modern era (Minus PT 63).

I'm talking 1-62 + the five "mystery tests".

I've also taken the Power Score full course. So for those of you familiar with Power Score's FULL course. It's divided up into 11 Lessons.

In Lesson one, in the Logic Games section, they cover pure sequencing games. Then in the Lesson 1 Homework they have 10 pure sequencing games for your practice.

Now out of those 10 games 4 of them I have matched up with actual Prep Tests. However 6 of them I can't find a match to anywhere. Which means that out of the 268 games that I own, not a single one that I could find matched any of these six games.

So I'm not going to type out the whole game because I don't want to be in any kind of copy-write law violation. But I will give you the first few words of each of these "mystery" Power Score games to see if any of you guys recognize them. i.e. Which prep tests is PowerScore getting these games from?

1. Exactly six people, Rana, Stan, Terri...
2. Christine is sorting six files...
3. LogoData employees Ann, Bora, Carl...
4. Ali, Bita, Clare, Dario, Eun...
5. Ann, Bob, Chris, David...
6. A radio station plays ten songs...

Perhaps these are pre-modern era. Any help would be greatly appreciated because this mystery is driving me nuts!


- Thanks,

Eric


Ask your instructor which PT they came from.

User avatar
Grond
Posts: 255
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:33 am

Re: Is Power Score making up their own Logic Games!!??

Postby Grond » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:10 pm

Clarity wrote:
ericwootton wrote:Hey All,

So I own every single dang prep test EVER issued by LSAC, from the modern era (Minus PT 63).

I'm talking 1-62 + the five "mystery tests".

I've also taken the Power Score full course. So for those of you familiar with Power Score's FULL course. It's divided up into 11 Lessons.

In Lesson one, in the Logic Games section, they cover pure sequencing games. Then in the Lesson 1 Homework they have 10 pure sequencing games for your practice.

Now out of those 10 games 4 of them I have matched up with actual Prep Tests. However 6 of them I can't find a match to anywhere. Which means that out of the 268 games that I own, not a single one that I could find matched any of these six games.

So I'm not going to type out the whole game because I don't want to be in any kind of copy-write law violation. But I will give you the first few words of each of these "mystery" Power Score games to see if any of you guys recognize them. i.e. Which prep tests is PowerScore getting these games from?

1. Exactly six people, Rana, Stan, Terri...
2. Christine is sorting six files...
3. LogoData employees Ann, Bora, Carl...
4. Ali, Bita, Clare, Dario, Eun...
5. Ann, Bob, Chris, David...
6. A radio station plays ten songs...

Perhaps these are pre-modern era. Any help would be greatly appreciated because this mystery is driving me nuts!


- Thanks,

Eric


Ask your instructor which PT they came from.


He can't. He isn't taking a class if he's using five years old materials.

User avatar
Jeffort
Posts: 1896
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:43 pm

Re: Is Power Score making up their own Logic Games!!??

Postby Jeffort » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:13 pm

ericwootton wrote:Hey Blurbz,

You're right I'm totally that guy. I'm the guy that just registered for this forum thinking that if I wrote out a detailed question that someone would actually try to answer my question rather than ask me why I care, or why I own old materials etc.

Thanks for all of the help!

- Eric


Hey Eric,

The question about the age of the materials you are using is relevant since prep companies change, update and improve their course materials frequently in order to keep up to date with the subtle shifts, trends and changes to the LSAT that slowly evolve over time to try to offer a better service than competitors. I'm sure the current PS coursebooks are much different than those from 5 or more years ago.

RE: whether they are games from the pre June 1991 era, maybe. Up until several years ago (More than 5+ years ago if memory serves) LSAC used to license some pre June 1991 LSAT questions to test prep companies for use in course materials but then they stopped licensing the old stuff and companies using it had to remove it from their materials.

Have you looked in the book where those games are and at the answer keys for them to see if a PrepTest reference is supplied for each? Prep books and coursebooks from good sources typically include a reference for each authentic game, RC passage or LR question telling you which test it is from. I know that the current PS books include that info. Maybe they did things differently in their books years ago, you'd have to ask them about that.

If the text you included is the precise wording of the opening sentence of each of the six games you are trying to locate, I cannot find them anywhere in currently available tests, nor do I recognize them as being games from the pre 1991 era (I'm familiar with pre-1991 materials).

User avatar
Eichörnchen
Posts: 1119
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 pm

Re: Is Power Score making up their own Logic Games!!??

Postby Eichörnchen » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:40 pm

soj wrote:Sup Eric, how's working at Kaplan?

lulzy

User avatar
EarlCat
Posts: 610
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:04 pm

Re: Is Power Score making up their own Logic Games!!??

Postby EarlCat » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:05 pm

ericwootton wrote:4. Ali, Bita, Clare, Dario, Eun...
5. Ann, Bob, Chris, David...

I'm pretty sure they don't use names starting with A-E, though they may have in the past.

User avatar
Ocean64
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:53 pm

Re: Is Power Score making up their own Logic Games!!??

Postby Ocean64 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:36 pm

i think it's someone trying to smear PS. btw...good observation about old material...11 lessons.

2lstudent
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:18 pm

Re: Is Power Score making up their own Logic Games!!??

Postby 2lstudent » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:06 pm

EarlCat wrote:
ericwootton wrote:4. Ali, Bita, Clare, Dario, Eun...
5. Ann, Bob, Chris, David...

I'm pretty sure they don't use names starting with A-E, though they may have in the past.


For what it's worth, some of the early games do use A-D (or E). See ie, the 1991 game about pilots and co-pilots flying in an air show. Early games def. have a slightly different feel to them than the more modern ones.

ericwootton
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:28 pm

Re: Is Power Score making up their own Logic Games!!??

Postby ericwootton » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:52 pm

Hey all,

I took the Full Power Score course about 1.5 years ago (which is why I can't ask the instructor). I'm not sure where the idea came from that I'm using 5 year old material. Someone mentioned that it had to do with the fact that I mentioned 11 lessons.

I was just scanning the old books that I still had into my computer. Maybe there were more then 11 lessons? Like a 12th lesson that was just a review, or practice tests. etc.

While studying my Power Score material today (pure sequencing) they made mention of the number of times that pure sequencing games were used pre-modern era. So they've been working with the LSAT since then.

I'm guessing/hoping that the questions are just pre-modern.

- Eric

P.S. Although if anyone is taking the Full Course with PS then ask your instructor for us. All of these questions are from the Lesson 1 homework.

ericwootton
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:28 pm

Re: Is Power Score making up their own Logic Games!!??

Postby ericwootton » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:57 pm

soj wrote:Honestly, I don't think we can locate the PTs just by that information, and even if we could, we wouldn't (too much work).


Actually no two games from the modern era have the same four words in them in the same order. I'll PayPal you $20 if you can prove me wrong.

As far as too much work goes, speak for yourself. If you don't want to do the work then don't.

My hope was simply that one of you guys would recognize the game.

Is it allowed for me to post more info? I'll write out the whole games if it doesn't violate this forums rules.

User avatar
suspicious android
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Is Power Score making up their own Logic Games!!??

Postby suspicious android » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:07 pm

ericwootton wrote:Actually no two games from the modern era have the same four words in them in the same order. I'll PayPal you $20 if you can prove me wrong.


"must satisfy the following" has occurred several times, just off the top of my head.

Please make a donation to Michelle Bachman's campaign fund in lieu of my $20 Paypal payment.

User avatar
glewz
Posts: 785
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: Is Power Score making up their own Logic Games!!??

Postby glewz » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:09 pm

suspicious android wrote:
ericwootton wrote:Actually no two games from the modern era have the same four words in them in the same order. I'll PayPal you $20 if you can prove me wrong.


"must satisfy the following" has occurred several times, just off the top of my head.

Please make a donation to Michelle Bachman's campaign fund in lieu of my $20 Paypal payment.

:shock:

User avatar
suspicious android
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Is Power Score making up their own Logic Games!!??

Postby suspicious android » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:13 pm

glewz wrote::shock:


Gotta make it hurt.:)




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: GioChanturia and 11 guests