Will a prepcourse (Testmasters) teach me how to do LG?...

notaznguy

Will a prepcourse (Testmasters) teach me how to do LG?...

Postby notaznguy » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:02 am

...if I don't know how to do LG at all?

My course does not start until July 11th. Since I have had like a month or so before it starts, I am currently going over the LR Bible. I have heard that the PowerScore Bibles and TM have similar methods, so I didn't think I could go wrong with going through the LR Bible.

Realistically, I can get through most, if not all, of the LR Bible by the 11th, but I won't be able to go through to the LG Bible. Is it better to just go into TM cold and COMPLETELY clueless for LG? Are they going to teach me from day 1 "How to do LG...?" I heard it's the easiest to learn to...I'm hoping I could just "learn" LG from the prepcourse.

Curry

Re: Will a prepcourse (Testmasters) teach me how to do LG?...

Postby Curry » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:07 am

If you work hard, they'll do a good job teaching you. If you just sit there and don't work, you wont learn much.

Nulli Secundus

Postby Nulli Secundus » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:10 am

Yes, it will. Not because they work wonders, but you actually do know something about LG already. LG in its essence includes tasks like discerning order of stuff, which group stuff belongs to etc., in short, things you conciously or unconciously already do in your life every day. They will only teach you to do it faster by teaching you how to diagram efficiently. Do not panic.

cogitoergosum

Postby cogitoergosum » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:51 am

Curry wrote:If you work hard, they'll do a good job teaching you. If you just sit there and don't work, you wont learn much.

+1

I did TM last year. Great class, really bright instructor, gave me a good foundational understanding of the LSAT, but probably could have gotten more out of it by completing ALL of the super long homework assignments.

They will definitely teach you a comprehensive method for games, as well as LR, and RC.

avamango

Postby avamango » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:47 am

Logic Games, much like the rest of the LSAT, all have very similar patterns within question "types". Just like LR questions can be split into categories (inference, assumption, strengthen/weaken, etc.), LGs have innate categories. Once you learn which strategies are best for each LG type, you'll find them to be a piece of cake.

You'll eventually figure out that the beauty of prepcourses in general is that they have amassed and consolidated this kind of information for you. I truly believe that prepcourses are sufficient for getting in the 160's but insufficient for true mid-high 170 performance. Nevertheless, courses are invaluable for those who like visual learning.

Courses will save you time specifically for LG because you can watch the instructor diagram the games on the board. Watching and fundamentally understanding the proper and most efficient steps toward designing the diagrams is important.

However, if you are someone with a solid work-ethic and can understand things from textbooks fairly easily, the books should suffice for what you need.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”