The Sabbath test and non-Jews

User avatar
Ocean64
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:53 pm

Re: The Sabbath test and non-Jews

Postby Ocean64 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:54 pm

Verity wrote:Subtle anti-Semitic trolling.


No. I could care less about the subject, but it was OP who expected to go to a testing center and see what he/she wanted to see. makes you wonder why it's an issue, doesn't it?

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: The Sabbath test and non-Jews

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:55 pm

SchopenhauerFTW wrote:
Ocean64 wrote:
tng11 wrote:More important question is why you care.


i'm guessing it's due to the fact that many conservative Jews would rather not mix with what they call "gentiles/goyim" in any activity if it can be helped.**

**Check the Talmud.

Subtle anti-Semitic trolling.

True, but it's also weird that the OP started a thread about how many black people were in their administration, and that they found that suspicious.

delusional
Posts: 1190
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: The Sabbath test and non-Jews

Postby delusional » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:56 pm

Ocean64 wrote:
tng11 wrote:More important question is why you care.


i'm guessing it's due to the fact that many conservative Jews would rather not mix with what they call "gentiles/goyim" in any activity if it can be helped.**

**Check the Talmud.

WTF?! I'm going to law school dude. Pretty sure there's a good chance of encountering the odd gentile.

User avatar
soj
Posts: 7735
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: The Sabbath test and non-Jews

Postby soj » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:58 pm

I like where this thread is going. :roll:

User avatar
Verity
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: The Sabbath test and non-Jews

Postby Verity » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:01 pm

delusional wrote:
Ocean64 wrote:
tng11 wrote:More important question is why you care.


i'm guessing it's due to the fact that many conservative Jews would rather not mix with what they call "gentiles/goyim" in any activity if it can be helped.**

**Check the Talmud.

WTF?! I'm going to law school dude. Pretty sure there's a good chance of encountering the odd gentile.


RC fail. Ocean64 masterfully qualified this with "if it can be helped," which was astute, fair, and certainly non racist. This is clear anti-anti-anti-Semite bashing.

SchopenhauerFTW
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:22 pm

Re: The Sabbath test and non-Jews

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:02 pm

So... back to the question: who else would be taking the Sabbath administration other than Jews?

tng11
Posts: 95
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:37 pm

Re: The Sabbath test and non-Jews

Postby tng11 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:04 pm

...
Last edited by tng11 on Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

delusional
Posts: 1190
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: The Sabbath test and non-Jews

Postby delusional » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:07 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
SchopenhauerFTW wrote:
Ocean64 wrote:
tng11 wrote:More important question is why you care.


i'm guessing it's due to the fact that many conservative Jews would rather not mix with what they call "gentiles/goyim" in any activity if it can be helped.**

**Check the Talmud.

Subtle anti-Semitic trolling.

True, but it's also weird that the OP started a thread about how many black people were in their administration, and that they found that suspicious.

There was nothing subtle about the anti semitic trolling. And you read the OP with great selectivity and poor comprehension. I was asking a question that was of interest to me. I had no negative reaction to the people who took the LSAT with me. I was just surprised and I was interested in whether other religions would actually refrain from writing on Saturday and whether LSAC uses that test as an emergency backup for the Saturday test. There was nothing in my post or in reality to imply that I wanted a test with only Jews. It is so far from the truth that I should really have just left my response as what is this I don't even

User avatar
Ocean64
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:53 pm

Re: The Sabbath test and non-Jews

Postby Ocean64 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:10 pm

SchopenhauerFTW wrote:So... back to the question: who else would be taking the Sabbath administration other than Jews?


Anyone and everyone who is busy on Saturday should be able to take it within a few days of the original administration IMHO. And it's at a point where people can pretend to be religious in order to take it on a Monday for example, despite any dirty looks you may get from "certain groups" because of the way you look.

User avatar
Verity
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: The Sabbath test and non-Jews

Postby Verity » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:13 pm

Ocean64 wrote:
SchopenhauerFTW wrote:So... back to the question: who else would be taking the Sabbath administration other than Jews?


Anyone and everyone who is busy on Saturday should be able to take it within a few days of the original administration IMHO. And it's at a point where people can pretend to be religious in order to take it on a Monday for example, despite any dirty looks you may get from "certain groups" because of the way you look.


"Your Honor, my client, despite being a man, should be able to use the Women's bathroom if it's closer to his office, despite any dirty looks from 'certain groups' who may be shitting at such a time."

delusional
Posts: 1190
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: The Sabbath test and non-Jews

Postby delusional » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:14 pm

Ocean64 wrote:
SchopenhauerFTW wrote:So... back to the question: who else would be taking the Sabbath administration other than Jews?


Anyone and everyone who is busy on Saturday should be able to take it within a few days of the original administration IMHO. And it's at a point where people can pretend to be religious in order to take it on a Monday for example, despite any dirty looks you may get from "certain groups" because of the way you look.

Just wait until word gets out that it's not really a test - they just check if you're circumsized and give you a 175. THAT'S why the questions are never released.

SchopenhauerFTW
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:22 pm

Re: The Sabbath test and non-Jews

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:16 pm

Ocean64 wrote:Anyone and everyone who is busy on Saturday should be able to take it within a few days of the original administration IMHO.

Why?

User avatar
Ocean64
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:53 pm

Re: The Sabbath test and non-Jews

Postby Ocean64 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:17 pm

SchopenhauerFTW wrote:
Ocean64 wrote:Anyone and everyone who is busy on Saturday should be able to take it within a few days of the original administration IMHO.

Why?


Convenience.

SchopenhauerFTW
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:22 pm

Re: The Sabbath test and non-Jews

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:22 pm

Ocean64 wrote:
SchopenhauerFTW wrote:
Ocean64 wrote:Anyone and everyone who is busy on Saturday should be able to take it within a few days of the original administration IMHO.

Why?


Convenience.

Seriously? It's the LSAT, not a salon appointment.

User avatar
Ocean64
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:53 pm

Re: The Sabbath test and non-Jews

Postby Ocean64 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:28 pm

Ocean64 wrote:Seriously? It's the LSAT, not a salon appointment.


Yes seriously. If I have to work on Saturday or have other important matters to attend to on that specific day, taking it the Monday immediately after would be more convenient to my life. simple as that, even if it means that I'm gonna have to pretend to belong to a certain religion or group, or to pretend to be religious altogether.

SchopenhauerFTW
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:22 pm

Re: The Sabbath test and non-Jews

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:31 pm

Ocean64 wrote:
Ocean64 wrote:Seriously? It's the LSAT, not a salon appointment.


Yes seriously. If I have to work on Saturday or have other important matters to attend to on that specific day, taking it the Monday immediately after would be more convenient to my life. simple as that, even if it means that I'm gonna have to pretend to belong to a certain religion or group, or to pretend to be religious altogether.

There are enough administrations of the test throughout the year for you to plan your life around though.

Edit: Unless your religious affiliation prevents you from doing so (which goes without saying at this point).

User avatar
Ocean64
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:53 pm

Re: The Sabbath test and non-Jews

Postby Ocean64 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:36 pm

Ocean64 wrote:There are enough administrations of the test throughout the year for you to plan your life around though.


OR you can register for a Monday instead of Saturday at the same administration period. Which one is easier?...do tell...this is getting ridiculous lol

SchopenhauerFTW
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:22 pm

Re: The Sabbath test and non-Jews

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:39 pm

Ocean64 wrote:
Ocean64 wrote:There are enough administrations of the test throughout the year for you to plan your life around though.


OR you can register for a Monday instead of Saturday at the same administration period. Which one is easier?...do tell...this is getting ridiculous lol

Hurrrr alrighty. Well you could, but maybe LSAC wants to have as many people take the same test rather than have a bunch of people scattered between two different LSATs (?).

User avatar
Rock-N-Roll
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:16 pm

Re: The Sabbath test and non-Jews

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:49 pm

Ocean64 wrote:
tng11 wrote:More important question is why you care.


i'm guessing it's due to the fact that many conservative Jews would rather not mix with what they call "gentiles/goyim" in any activity if it can be helped.**

**Check the Talmud.


Ocean64. I am really upset over your post. Did you mean this as a joke?

The Talmud is the main collection of Jewish oral law and traditions and its study is the cornerstone of our religion. The Talmud is not racist, and I for one have not ever encountered a quote or sentiment similar to the one in your post. If you are knowledgeable enough to have a meaningful talmudic discussion then by all means please specifically quote the passage that your post references.

If on the other hand though, you have no idea what you are talking about, and your post is a backhanded attempt to disparage the Talmud and Jewish religion, then consider yourself checked.

And generally, if you want to criticize the OP for creating this asinine thread then you should keep the focus of your criticism on the OP's posts and not make this thread about the Talmud or the Jewish religion.

User avatar
blurbz
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: The Sabbath test and non-Jews

Postby blurbz » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:54 pm

You're sharp, but I bet you didn't spot me in the back because I was wearing this:

Image

delusional
Posts: 1190
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: The Sabbath test and non-Jews

Postby delusional » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:20 am

Rock-N-Roll wrote:
Ocean64 wrote:
tng11 wrote:More important question is why you care.


i'm guessing it's due to the fact that many conservative Jews would rather not mix with what they call "gentiles/goyim" in any activity if it can be helped.**

**Check the Talmud.


Ocean64. I am really upset over your post. Did you mean this as a joke?

The Talmud is the main collection of Jewish oral law and traditions and its study is the cornerstone of our religion. The Talmud is not racist, and I for one have not ever encountered a quote or sentiment similar to the one in your post. If you are knowledgeable enough to have a meaningful talmudic discussion then by all means please specifically quote the passage that your post references.

If on the other hand though, you have no idea what you are talking about, and your post is a backhanded attempt to disparage the Talmud and Jewish religion, then consider yourself checked.

And generally, if you want to criticize the OP for creating this asinine thread then you should keep the focus of your criticism on the OP's posts and not make this thread about the Talmud or the Jewish religion.

I appreciate you sticking up for the Talmud and all, but the OP was completely innocuous. To those of you who posted above, I did not say anywhere whom I "wanted" to see. Nor did I say it was "suspicious" that black people took the test with me. Honestly, I did *expect* to see only Jewish people, simply because I did not know that other people don't write on Saturday. Now that I know that there are other reasons, I look forward to taking the any possible future tests with the spectrum of ethnicities. I was wondering if there were other reasons why people would take the Sabbath test, and if so, what they might be. That is all.

User avatar
Rock-N-Roll
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:16 pm

Re: The Sabbath test and non-Jews

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:30 am

delusional wrote:I appreciate you sticking up for the Talmud and all, but the OP was completely innocuous. To those of you who posted above, I did not say anywhere whom I "wanted" to see. Nor did I say it was "suspicious" that black people took the test with me. Honestly, I did *expect* to see only Jewish people, simply because I did not know that other people don't write on Saturday. Now that I know that there are other reasons, I look forward to taking the any possible future tests with the spectrum of ethnicities. I was wondering if there were other reasons why people would take the Sabbath test, and if so, what they might be. That is all.


Well delusional, you could have easily gotten the answer to your question through google. While putting this out there as a thread makes it seem more like you are trying to make a statement rather than ask a question.

User avatar
Verity
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: The Sabbath test and non-Jews

Postby Verity » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:02 am

Rock-N-Roll wrote:
delusional wrote:I appreciate you sticking up for the Talmud and all, but the OP was completely innocuous. To those of you who posted above, I did not say anywhere whom I "wanted" to see. Nor did I say it was "suspicious" that black people took the test with me. Honestly, I did *expect* to see only Jewish people, simply because I did not know that other people don't write on Saturday. Now that I know that there are other reasons, I look forward to taking the any possible future tests with the spectrum of ethnicities. I was wondering if there were other reasons why people would take the Sabbath test, and if so, what they might be. That is all.


Well delusional, you could have easily gotten the answer to your question through google. While putting this out there as a thread makes it seem more like you are trying to make a statement rather than ask a question.


Yeah. I mean really, it's not like searching Google for anything with "LSAT" in the phrase would bring you back here. This is clearly a Jewish conspiracy.

User avatar
Rock-N-Roll
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:16 pm

Re: The Sabbath test and non-Jews

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:09 pm

Verity wrote:
Rock-N-Roll wrote:
delusional wrote:I appreciate you sticking up for the Talmud and all, but the OP was completely innocuous. To those of you who posted above, I did not say anywhere whom I "wanted" to see. Nor did I say it was "suspicious" that black people took the test with me. Honestly, I did *expect* to see only Jewish people, simply because I did not know that other people don't write on Saturday. Now that I know that there are other reasons, I look forward to taking the any possible future tests with the spectrum of ethnicities. I was wondering if there were other reasons why people would take the Sabbath test, and if so, what they might be. That is all.


Well delusional, you could have easily gotten the answer to your question through google. While putting this out there as a thread makes it seem more like you are trying to make a statement rather than ask a question.


Yeah. I mean really, it's not like searching Google for anything with "LSAT" in the phrase would bring you back here. This is clearly a Jewish conspiracy.


This was not what I was after, nor are you being funny. I was referring to a google search for other religions that observe their Sabbath on Saturday.

I am arguing against the generalization that Jews and particularly Orthodox Jews don't relate well to non-Jews. This is false, and whether it was the OP's intent or not, his unnecessary post just opened the door for people to make that false claim.

delusional
Posts: 1190
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: The Sabbath test and non-Jews

Postby delusional » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:13 pm

Rock-N-Roll wrote:
Verity wrote:
Rock-N-Roll wrote:
delusional wrote:I appreciate you sticking up for the Talmud and all, but the OP was completely innocuous. To those of you who posted above, I did not say anywhere whom I "wanted" to see. Nor did I say it was "suspicious" that black people took the test with me. Honestly, I did *expect* to see only Jewish people, simply because I did not know that other people don't write on Saturday. Now that I know that there are other reasons, I look forward to taking the any possible future tests with the spectrum of ethnicities. I was wondering if there were other reasons why people would take the Sabbath test, and if so, what they might be. That is all.


Well delusional, you could have easily gotten the answer to your question through google. While putting this out there as a thread makes it seem more like you are trying to make a statement rather than ask a question.


Yeah. I mean really, it's not like searching Google for anything with "LSAT" in the phrase would bring you back here. This is clearly a Jewish conspiracy.


This was not what I was after, nor are you being funny. I was referring to a google search for other religions that observe their Sabbath on Saturday.

I am arguing against the generalization that Jews and particularly Orthodox Jews don't relate well to non-Jews. This is false, and whether it was the OP's intent or not, his unnecessary post just opened the door for people to make that false claim.

What was not googleable was whether the observance of Sabbath on Saturday precludes Seventh Day Adventists from taking a test. Also, whether there may have been some LSAC related reason for non-Jewish people to be there.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexandros, Dondraper88, Google [Bot], Instrumental, MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] and 8 guests