strategy for logic games without scratch paper

senorhosh

strategy for logic games without scratch paper

Postby senorhosh » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:13 am

I know you don't get scratch paper except on the writing section.

How are you supposed to diagram on the logic games when it has advanced, multiple variables and there is barely any space?

Do you just write extra small? or is there a blank back page we can use? I never took the test so I don't know how it works. Thanks

tdicks

Re: strategy for logic games without scratch paper

Postby tdicks » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:23 am

there's usually a pretty decent amount at the bottom of the page. i do my main diagram down there, and then do little baby skeleton diagrams next to the individual questions as needed. i suggest printing out/getting hard copies of actual tests and just practice getting used to the space. if you're decent at diagramming, it shouldn't take long at all to adjust to the smaller amount of space.

senorhosh

Postby senorhosh » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:51 am

oh man ive been using a 8x11 blank paper for each problem.

now this is ANOTHER problem i have to deal with.

sigh.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:26 am

Definitely practice on actual exams. Also, make sure you practice with the real wooden pencils you'll. I got screwed up the first time I took it because my pencils were too dull to write as small as I needed. If I were you, I'd bring a fresh, very sharp pencil for each LG game in addition to the ones you'll use on other sections.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:25 am

senorhosh wrote:oh man ive been using a 8x11 blank paper for each problem.

now this is ANOTHER problem i have to deal with.

sigh.

eh, don't panic just yet!

If you are early into your LSAT prep learning about the LG section (game types, diagramming, techniques, etc.), it is ok to work through the lesson games on scratch paper. This applies to the games you do slowly while learning and drilling the basics to get familiar with all of it.

Once you have the basics down and start testing yourself timed to try and gauge your current scoring ability, do not use scratch paper while taking timed sections or individual games.

There is plenty of room on each page per LG for diagrams as long as they are organized and you use a decent shorthand set of diagramming conventions.

fosterp

Postby fosterp » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:48 pm

I always used a huge notebook to practice LG when I was learning, it wasn't till I was taking the last 15 or so PTs when I started using the actual test books and it wasn't a big deal. Except for the real test on dec10 where the first LG had literally no place to diagram.

fastforward

Postby fastforward » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:05 pm

It's okay to start with 8 by 11 paper, but wean yourself to small diagrams as you progress. This is a very important part of your prep. DO NOT COUNT on adequate space to diagram; this is part of what threw so many on the notorious dinosaur game and it happened again on a very recent test. Plan ahead how you will deal if you are confronted with this on test day.

cmckid

Postby cmckid » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:21 pm

Bring 5 pencils and a handheld sharpener, and practice on the real exam. YOu won't run out of space if you've been practicing a lot and don't draw uneccessary dead-ends.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:31 pm

Write small. Not even freakishly tiny, just neat and small. There's plenty of room.

citykitty

Postby citykitty » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:38 pm

I took 5 pencils that I resharpened after every section. I am obsessive about sharp pencils. Write neat and small. There's plenty of room. I never used scratch paper. Just practice. You have plenty of time before October.

avamango

Postby avamango » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:54 am

citykitty wrote:I took 5 pencils that I resharpened after every section. I am obsessive about sharp pencils.

As I kept sharpening my pencils in between sections, I would re-adjust their alignment on my desk based on increasing length.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:21 pm

Jeffort wrote:There is plenty of room on each page per LG for diagrams as long as they are organized and you use a decent shorthand set of diagramming conventions.

For me, this is the most important part. Have a plan for how you're going to organize your setup. I generally block off an area on the bottom left corner of the page and write "SETUP" on top so that I know not to alter it. The setup is at the top, the rules are underneath, and any scenarios are immediately to the right of the setup. Then, I do the problems either to the right of that or, if there's room, by the problems.

Whatever you come up with, though, stick to it and the small room to work with ends up being a non-issue (well, at least 90% of the time).

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”