Some basic LSAT questions

Excel

Some basic LSAT questions

Postby Excel » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:07 am

Not the obvious; havent been able to find answers for these.

1. Is every test in the room the same? Same section order, with same sections, etc? Are the tests that are for sale exactly as they appeared for everybody who took them?

2. Is the experimental section labeled?

3. Does the break mandatory? I can see myself in the zone and wanting to move onto the next section, do I have to chill out?

Curry

Re: Some basic LSAT questions

Postby Curry » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:10 am

Excel wrote:Not the obvious; havent been able to find answers for these.

1. Is every test in the room the same? Same section order, with same sections, etc? Are the tests that are for sale exactly as they appeared for everybody who took them?

3. Does the break mandatory? I can see myself in the zone and wanting to move onto the next section, do I have to chill out?

1. No

2. No

3. Yes

Excel

Postby Excel » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:16 am

The sections are just in different orders, then? Everybody still has the same lg, etc, right? I ask because I was trying to figure out what takes so damn long to grade them.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:19 am

1. My understanding is that the section order can vary for test takers even in the same room, and the experimental section can vary across takers (one person my have a RC experimental and another person an LG experimental). But the actual graded sections (4 of them) are identical and found in the same sections for everyone (even if the sections aren't in the same order; the section order thing is something you may need to research further though--it may just be the experimental that varies, and LSAC's policy on this may change).
2. No, it is not labelled. I believe it is always one of the first 2 or 3 test sections, and in some cases you may be able to legitimately figure out-- toward the end of the test--which of the earlier sections was experimental. You can research how this might be possible. But it is not something that will particularly aid you during the test. At most it could help in some situations as to whether or not to cancel the score before it is finalized.
3. Yes; you can only work on the section that is being administered. You must stop when that section's time is up, and you can't work ahead if you finish early.

I feel quite confident about my answers to 2. and 3., but a little uncertain about 1. (though I believe it is generally accurate). I'm a little curious about these questions though. Especially with the first one I almost get the impression that you are wondering if you can somehow cheat by copying others' answers. But I'm not saying that's the case, and I do understand how this could simply be basic curiousity.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:34 am

What are you hoping to gain or trying to accomplish with accurate answers to your questions? Your specific questions indicate that your intentions may not be good ones.

The important basics: 5 administered sections, 35 minutes per section. 4 of them are scored, the other (which you are not supposed to know which section # it is) does not count towards your score. You get a break of about 15 minutes between sections 3 and 4 to use the bathroom and eat a snack. Other than that, focus on answering as many questions correctly as you can.

Excel

Postby Excel » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:45 am

It comes across like I am hoping to spy on my fellow test takers answers, which is completely correct...ha no, I am just kidding.

It has to do with scoring. My friend, whose prepping for the DAT, was wondering what took so long to score. Obviously if every test is exactly the same, and thus has the same answer key for 4 sections, than Idk what takes weeks to figure out. But, if every section is in different places, they need to be scored on essentially a test by test basis. Thats what, 24 possible variations, not including the experimental section?

There are no bad intentions.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”