Bibles: How much improvement to expect?

neuroticjew

Bibles: How much improvement to expect?

Postby neuroticjew » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:59 pm

Hi everyone!

New member here. I purchased the three Powerscore Bibles and they are waiting for me at home in the U.S. (I'm in China until the end of June). Before my trip I took three diagnostic PTs of sorts (in that I didn't have any Bibles to help improve my score), with very consistent results: 162, 163, 162. (My section averages are pretty consistent as well: about -7 on CR, -8 on LG, -8 on combined LR.)

I figure that's a decent place from which to start (could already get into a T50 state school with those scores and my GPA, with no LSAT studying yet), but am curious: everybody praises the Bibles, but how much improvement can one actually expect from three months of using them and PTing? Is topping 170 likely if I stay focused and disciplined, or is that pretty rare from a 162 starting point? I'd love to get into a T14 but should probably mention that during the key study period (August-September) I'll be working part-time, taking a full load of undergrad classes, and running a very large student organization. I should have about three evenings a week to PT, though, and obviously July and the first part of August are wide open for studying. How much improvement did you see from the Bibles, and how much do you think can be expected? Is the sky the limit? Not much change? I realize it varies a lot from person to person, but assume that I'm a pretty hard worker and a solid student.

delusional

Re: Bibles: How much improvement to expect?

Postby delusional » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:27 pm

neuroticjew wrote:Hi everyone!

New member here. I purchased the three Powerscore Bibles and they are waiting for me at home in the U.S. (I'm in China until the end of June). Before my trip I took three diagnostic PTs of sorts (in that I didn't have any Bibles to help improve my score), with very consistent results: 162, 163, 162. (My section averages are pretty consistent as well: about -7 on CR, -8 on LG, -8 on combined LR.)

I figure that's a decent place from which to start (could already get into a T50 state school with those scores and my GPA, with no LSAT studying yet), but am curious: everybody praises the Bibles, but how much improvement can one actually expect from three months of using them and PTing? Is topping 170 likely if I stay focused and disciplined, or is that pretty rare from a 162 starting point? I'd love to get into a T14 but should probably mention that during the key study period (August-September) I'll be working part-time, taking a full load of undergrad classes, and running a very large student organization. I should have about three evenings a week to PT, though, and obviously July and the first part of August are wide open for studying. How much improvement did you see from the Bibles, and how much do you think can be expected? Is the sky the limit? Not much change? I realize it varies a lot from person to person, but assume that I'm a pretty hard worker and a solid student.

Son, it's time you knew. There really isn't any magic in the bibles. The magic is inside you all along. NOW YOU GO KILL THAT LSAT!!!

mickeyD

Postby mickeyD » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:18 am

Assuming you're an intelligent enough person, the sky is the limit. Reading the Bibles alone won't do anything for you, it takes a lot of practice for you to learn how to apply them. Then more practice for you to learn how to apply them on tougher questions. Then more practice for you to apply them under time. Then more practice for you to be able see the patterns, the common tricks, eliminate your bad habits, see the traps you fall into, refine, review, refine, etc. There is ALWAYS room for improvement. I don't believe in LSAT ceilings, that is a mentality of people who have become entrenched in one approach and can't see what they are doing wrong.

The Bibles are an excellent resource, and will definitely give you a small boost, but in the end, your result is going to be how much work you put into them. It's safe to say that you will probably be capable of -3/4 on LG after the Bible, and can get to -0 consistently in a month or two if you practice games hard. LR and RC are different for everyone. I would highly suggest you don't waste your time PTing at the beginning of your prep. You don't really know what you're doing yet and you'll just be wasting good material. Take a PT every 2 weeks for now, review them hard and force yourself to understand why your answers were right and wrong. What you should focus on now is understanding the concepts and strategies in the Bibles and practice them until you can use them comfortably. Stay on TLS, read every LSAT article you can find, read old posts, join the Oct study group, ask questions. You'll find your way. Good luck!

loomstate

Postby loomstate » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:05 am

mickeyD wrote:Assuming you're an intelligent enough person, the sky is the limit. Reading the Bibles alone won't do anything for you, it takes a lot of practice for you to learn how to apply them. Then more practice for you to learn how to apply them on tougher questions. Then more practice for you to apply them under time. Then more practice for you to be able see the patterns, the common tricks, eliminate your bad habits, see the traps you fall into, refine, review, refine, etc. There is ALWAYS room for improvement. I don't believe in LSAT ceilings, that is a mentality of people who have become entrenched in one approach and can't see what they are doing wrong.

The Bibles are an excellent resource, and will definitely give you a small boost, but in the end, your result is going to be how much work you put into them. It's safe to say that you will probably be capable of -3/4 on LG after the Bible, and can get to -0 consistently in a month or two if you practice games hard. LR and RC are different for everyone. I would highly suggest you don't waste your time PTing at the beginning of your prep. You don't really know what you're doing yet and you'll just be wasting good material. Take a PT every 2 weeks for now, review them hard and force yourself to understand why your answers were right and wrong. What you should focus on now is understanding the concepts and strategies in the Bibles and practice them until you can use them comfortably. Stay on TLS, read every LSAT article you can find, read old posts, join the Oct study group, ask questions. You'll find your way. Good luck!

Yes, and practice neurotically for a few months, neurotic jew - chase those errors out. I'd say you could achieve just about any range you want. You might want to refer to PithyPike's method (stickied in this forum) or maybe even LSAT blog. I would recommend LSAT blog's study plans if you need a bit more guidance in the arena or selfstudy. Cheers

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”