Looking for Eith/or Clarification Please - Game #2, Oct 04

lsatprepguy

Looking for Eith/or Clarification Please - Game #2, Oct 04

Postby lsatprepguy » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:22 pm

**This game is on page 153 of LG bible **

The fifth rule of this game states, "The site visited third dates from a more recent century than does either the site visited first or that visited fourth."
And for those of you without the bible handy, the three century variables are 8, 9, and 10.

So here is my confusion
In the LR Bible, on page 143, it states that either/or statements on the LSAT can be interpreted as "at least one of the two."
So based on that, this rule leads me to believe that the only thing we can determine is that the third site will NOT be century number 8.

However, the LG bible goes as far as to say, "The third site cannot date from the 8th century, and the first and fourth sites cannot date from the 10th century." To me this seems like they have taken the implications of the rule too far because either or does not necessarily indicate both.

For instance, why is it that the following situation is invalid?
--First site be from century 8
--Fourth site from century 10
--Third site be from century 9
In that case, the third site is still from a more recent century than the first site, which satisfies the rule because its at least one of the two??

I'm sorry for the inevitable confusion that this post will cause, and if anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.

suspicious android

Re: Looking for Eith/or Clarification Please - Game #2, Oct 04

Postby suspicious android » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:42 pm

Very interesting question, I've done this game many times and never really considered this angle. To make a long story short, "either" can have different functions depending on how you use it. Consider these sentences:

Tom is older than either of his brothers Joe and Bob.
Tom is older than either Joe or Bob

These sentences both mean that Tom is the eldest of this three brothers, not that he is older than at least one of this brothers but possibly younger than the otre. Tom is the subject of both of these sentences and "either" is qualifying the comparison between Tom and his brothers, asserting that the comparison "older" is true for Joe and Bob.

Now what about the sentence:

Tom is either older than Joe or Bob.

This has a very different meaning, it's possible that Tom is the middle child here, right? If I was better at grammar and semantics, I'd know the name of this difference, but maybe someone else will come along and lable it.

SanDiegoJake

Postby SanDiegoJake » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:38 pm

Android is right, and so is the LR Bible.

Just because either/or CAN be read as "at least one", that does not mean that it MUST be read as "at least one". Android correctly illustrates the different ways either/or can be used.

So in this case, the site visited 3rd cannot be from the 8th century, and neither the site visited 1st nor the site visited 4th can be from the 10th century, as the LR Bible says.

The lesson here is that you don't want to get in the habit of saying "x" always means "y". x means x. y means y. Each word on the LSAT is important and chosen specifically to represent certain logical truths. You'll want to consider what each one means individually.

You'll see: "At least one", "At least one but not both.", "Either A or B". "Either A or B but not both." Etc...

p.s. Also take note when the LSAT (and the LR Bible) choose to use the word "can" or "could" as opposed to "must."

lsatprepguy

Postby lsatprepguy » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:05 am

Ok, I understand the difference now. Thanks guys.

Nulli Secundus

Postby Nulli Secundus » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:32 pm

And here I was thinking you were a Cornell alt looking for Eit. Son, I am disappoint.

aerokfohp

Postby aerokfohp » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:27 am

This is EXACTLY what I wanted to ask. THANKS OP and those who provided answers to the question : )

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”