Strategy for October with regards to timing

DC_Patent_Law

Strategy for October with regards to timing

Postby DC_Patent_Law » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:55 pm

Hey guys,

I’ve been studying for the LSAT for the last 5 months or so and have managed to drag my score up from 142 to 156. I took testmasters which helped me to get all the concepts down and raise my score. I’m taking the October LSAT and really want to score a 170+. My sticking point is I can’t complete the damn test. I miss around 5 questions on each LR section, 1 logic game and 1 RC passage on each practice test I’ve taken so far. I’ve sped up a lot over the last 5 months but still can't complete the test on time. My accuracy is hovering around 90% across LG, RC and LR so I guess I can afford to speed up at this stage. What should I do to speed up without sacrificing my accuracy?
I’m thinking:
a). Do timed sections for LG and LR and try to work on reducing the time it take till I can get to all the questions; and/or
b). Do preptests 30-63 (2 per week) and hope that I can get through all the sections by the time October rolls around.

Any ideas, comments or suggestions? Thanks.

- DCPL

zozin

Re: Strategy for October with regards to timing

Postby zozin » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:02 pm

What's your pace on LR? If you have the concepts down and are a decent reader, you should be able to finish the first 10 in 10-12 minutes. The first 10-15 questions on LR set the pace for the rest of the exam, if you aren't finishing Q15 in 15-20 minutes, you're in trouble, because those questions tend to be easier than the rest.

How rushed do you feel as you're reading RC and doing LG that you do get to?

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:04 pm

For LG/RC, the timing issue comes down to reading/diagramming balance. How much time do you spend setting up your diagram and making inferences? How much time do you spend reading the passage on your first go?

If the answer is 3+ minutes on either, you can trim that down considerably.

DC_Patent_Law

Postby DC_Patent_Law » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:24 pm

zozin wrote:What's your pace on LR? If you have the concepts down and are a decent reader, you should be able to finish the first 10 in 10-12 minutes. The first 10-15 questions on LR set the pace for the rest of the exam, if you aren't finishing Q15 in 15-20 minutes, you're in trouble, because those questions tend to be easier than the rest.

How rushed do you feel as you're reading RC and doing LG that you do get to?

I do about the first 10 in 12-15 minutes. The next 10 take a lot more time. I was thinking about doing the first 10, then doing 20-26 and then coming back for 11-19. I think I'm a little too careful on the easier ones (1-10) which might be slowing me down for the harder ones. Plus, formal logic and parallel reasoning q's really throw me off. Might just have to practice those.
Definitely feel like I'm rushed doing the RC and LG that I do get to.

incompetentia wrote: For LG/RC, the timing issue comes down to reading/diagramming balance. How much time do you spend setting up your diagram and making inferences? How much time do you spend reading the passage on your first go?

If the answer is 3+ minutes on either, you can trim that down considerably.

Yes, it is 3+ on some of the LG's but the deductions seem like they are worth it when the problems roll around. Of course, its 3+ only for the tougher games. For RC, the more time I spend reading, the faster I answer the questions. I guess the question is how to improve on speed for both LG and RC to be under 3 minutes while maintaining accuracy?

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:38 pm

You can't do it all at once. Can you think of times reading the passage that you don't end up using?

DC_Patent_Law

Postby DC_Patent_Law » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:18 pm

incompetentia wrote:You can't do it all at once. Can you think of times reading the passage that you don't end up using?

Absolutely. Would you recommend reading the RC questions first so that I know what I'm looking for? Same for LR?
For LG, some games require that you get deductions because even the first question off the bat uses the deduction. For others, deductions are a waste of time. I guess for LG I could just start on the game and make deductions as I go along?

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:37 pm

I wouldn't start with the questions, but I'd read lightly enough so that you don't spend TOO much time, and then refer back more heavily once you know what you're looking for.

As for stem first/stim first, that's something you're going to have to try out yourself.

As for LG, I'd really recommend that you cap your diagramming at about 2 minutes if time is an issue. If you need the inference, you'll make it eventually. If you're having trouble even getting to the inferences within 2 minutes, then translating the words into a diagram is going a bit too slowly and you might want to hink about something else.

DC_Patent_Law

Postby DC_Patent_Law » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:23 pm

incompetentia wrote:I wouldn't start with the questions, but I'd read lightly enough so that you don't spend TOO much time, and then refer back more heavily once you know what you're looking for.

As for stem first/stim first, that's something you're going to have to try out yourself.

As for LG, I'd really recommend that you cap your diagramming at about 2 minutes if time is an issue. If you need the inference, you'll make it eventually. If you're having trouble even getting to the inferences within 2 minutes, then translating the words into a diagram is going a bit too slowly and you might want to hink about something else.

Thanks, I think with my accuracy numbers I can afford to skim the RC passages. With LG, I'll try not to do too many deductions/scenarious and report back. Cheers!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”