Plan of Attack for Oct LSAT?

User avatar
Chambo
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:38 pm

Plan of Attack for Oct LSAT?

Postby Chambo » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:47 pm

So I just cancelled my June LSAT after a good deal of contemplation. I began prepping by taking a TM course that started in April. My first diagnostic was a 155, and by test day I was hitting 163-165 on my practice tests. This consisted of -8 to -10 on LR combined, -8 to -10 on LG and -2 to -4 on RC. I really only concentrated on improving LG.... didn't hardly do any prep for LR at all, and only did a bit on RC to get my timing/pacing down. My goal is to be at 170+ and I feel like this is rather doable, considering I have got four months and have one glaring weakness that most people say is learnable.

My question for you guys is where I should go from here. Many of the study schedules on here and other places suggest doing a weekly PT on the weekends and reviewing the answers during the week. This sounds good, but I've got a ton of uncompleted TM homework that I could do that focuses on specific question types etc... that may be more beneficial than just taking and reviewing entire sections at a time.

I already ordered the LGB and workbook that I'll be working through for the next week or so, as that was my weakest section by far. It would also save me some money if I didn't have to buy as many PTs on their own, but I certainly wouldn't hesitate if it really is the best way to improve. Let's face it, I won't be going out much between now and October...

User avatar
zozin
Posts: 3733
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:13 pm

Re: Plan of Attack for Oct LSAT?

Postby zozin » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:54 pm

Don't worry about PTs yet, because -8 to -10 on LG means you should learn how to do games first before you waste limited PTs. Did you not do the homework LG questions in the TM volumes?

Study each chapter of the LG Bible, and drill those types of games. You should be able to read the setup and rules and have a diagram within 1-2 minutes, with all the necessary inferences to attack the questions.

-5/LR section is also improvable. Again, did you not do the practice stuff TM provides? There's easily 1500 LR questions between the 5 volumes.

User avatar
Chambo
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:38 pm

Re: Plan of Attack for Oct LSAT?

Postby Chambo » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:02 pm

zozin wrote:Don't worry about PTs yet, because -8 to -10 on LG means you should learn how to do games first before you waste limited PTs. Did you not do the homework LG questions in the TM volumes?

Study each chapter of the LG Bible, and drill those types of games. You should be able to read the setup and rules and have a diagram within 1-2 minutes, with all the necessary inferences to attack the questions.

-5/LR section is also improvable. Again, did you not do the practice stuff TM provides? There's easily 1500 LR questions between the 5 volumes.


I did almost every LG TM provided, but I had pretty limited time until my school semester ended, and thought that I could see the best results by focusing on my greatest weakness and just doing PTs. I improved pretty significantly in the three weeks that I really had time to prep, and certainly think that the TM stuff helped give me a solid foundation for me to grow on, but I just didn't have the time to see the results I wanted. Fortunately, I've got a clearer schedule between now and October.

User avatar
tyro
Posts: 648
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:23 am

Re: Plan of Attack for Oct LSAT?

Postby tyro » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:56 pm

Chambo wrote:
zozin wrote:Don't worry about PTs yet, because -8 to -10 on LG means you should learn how to do games first before you waste limited PTs. Did you not do the homework LG questions in the TM volumes?

Study each chapter of the LG Bible, and drill those types of games. You should be able to read the setup and rules and have a diagram within 1-2 minutes, with all the necessary inferences to attack the questions.

-5/LR section is also improvable. Again, did you not do the practice stuff TM provides? There's easily 1500 LR questions between the 5 volumes.


I did almost every LG TM provided, but I had pretty limited time until my school semester ended, and thought that I could see the best results by focusing on my greatest weakness and just doing PTs. I improved pretty significantly in the three weeks that I really had time to prep, and certainly think that the TM stuff helped give me a solid foundation for me to grow on, but I just didn't have the time to see the results I wanted. Fortunately, I've got a clearer schedule between now and October.


Posting here because I had somewhat similar results last October, don't want to start a new thread, plithypike's guide didn't match my situation, etc. I'm also studying for this October's test (as a re-take for me).

The question I have (which you might also have) is if some members might have suggestions for books that focus primarily on advanced strategies/concepts (the forum search wasn't working, I tried). I went through the 6 Blueprint books in about three months which I thought were decent but definitely inferior to the PowerScore series, still a lot of review/similarities though. I'm doing the bibles now.

So, worth getting some of the other PowerScore books such as the "type training" series? Also, any advanced books from Kaplan or TestMasters..or Princeton Review, or others that people thought helped to strengthen or further-develop the concepts that were introduced in the PS bibles? Thanks.

edit: I'm looking at the "advice for over 160" thread and seeing some good materials to look up which is nice. Just kind of wondering if someone might have a suggestion specific to mine and/or the OP's case.

User avatar
EarlCat
Posts: 610
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:04 pm

Re: Plan of Attack for Oct LSAT?

Postby EarlCat » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:42 am

Chambo wrote:My question for you guys is where I should go from here. Many of the study schedules on here and other places suggest doing a weekly PT on the weekends and reviewing the answers during the week. This sounds good, but I've got a ton of uncompleted TM homework that I could do that focuses on specific question types etc... that may be more beneficial than just taking and reviewing entire sections at a time.

Definitely do the TM homework over taking more entire sections. Then do it again.

It would also save me some money if I didn't have to buy as many PTs on their own, but I certainly wouldn't hesitate if it really is the best way to improve. Let's face it, I won't be going out much between now and October...

Doesn't TM give their students every PT?

User avatar
Chambo
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:38 pm

Re: Plan of Attack for Oct LSAT?

Postby Chambo » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:50 pm

EarlCat wrote:
Chambo wrote:My question for you guys is where I should go from here. Many of the study schedules on here and other places suggest doing a weekly PT on the weekends and reviewing the answers during the week. This sounds good, but I've got a ton of uncompleted TM homework that I could do that focuses on specific question types etc... that may be more beneficial than just taking and reviewing entire sections at a time.

Definitely do the TM homework over taking more entire sections. Then do it again.

It would also save me some money if I didn't have to buy as many PTs on their own, but I certainly wouldn't hesitate if it really is the best way to improve. Let's face it, I won't be going out much between now and October...

Doesn't TM give their students every PT?


Thanks for the input! As to the PT, yes and no... Their materials include every LSAT question released, but most of them are broken up and put into homework/drills. They give you the 10-15 most recent ones to take as full exams. So far I've gone through the LGB and it's been helpful because I picked up a few different tricks/techniques. I guess I'll just start plugging through the TM homework as well.

User avatar
wtrc
Posts: 2057
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: Plan of Attack for Oct LSAT?

Postby wtrc » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:17 pm

Same boat as you, essentially word for word other than that I didn't end up canceling. TM doesn't allow us access to the online center though, so finding answers might be a problem. I made screenshots of most the answer keys though, so let me know if you need them.

User avatar
mandolin
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:37 pm

Re: Plan of Attack for Oct LSAT?

Postby mandolin » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:59 pm

Chambo wrote:I already ordered the LGB and workbook that I'll be working through for the next week or so, as that was my weakest section by far. It would also save me some money if I didn't have to buy as many PTs on their own, but I certainly wouldn't hesitate if it really is the best way to improve. Let's face it, I won't be going out much between now and October...


I was in the same position as you on LG: -10 to -13 every game. I ordered the Powerscore LG bible and it helped a lot. I'll offer just one personal note about what I experienced with the LG Bible. I took timed games throughout the process of working through the LG bible, and it kind of made me discouraged. Even 3/4 of the way through the powerscore bible, I was still only finishing 2 games in 35 minutes. It wasn't until I finished the entire LG bible that I saw an improvement. The day after I finished powerscore, I took an LSAT and finished all 4 games--first time ever--and I never looked back. I thought that it must have been a super easy game set, but I have yet to take an LSAT PT since then when I was not able to finish all the games.
I bring this up to say, don't get discouraged if you don't see results immediately. Study the LG bible and soak up everything it has to offer and you will see an improvement.

User avatar
Chambo
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:38 pm

Re: Plan of Attack for Oct LSAT?

Postby Chambo » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:36 am

weathercoins wrote:Same boat as you, essentially word for word other than that I didn't end up canceling. TM doesn't allow us access to the online center though, so finding answers might be a problem. I made screenshots of most the answer keys though, so let me know if you need them.


Yeah, a friend in my class told me he was getting an answer pack (sans the explanations for the hard questions) mailed to him by TM. I'm going to hit him up for a copy, but failing that I may take you up on the offer.

Just out of curiosity, how did you weigh your decision to cancel? I knew for a fact that I could improve, and heard that a lower score and a higher score doesn't look as good as a cancel and a higher score. This is all relative, of course, but after five days of mulling it over, I decided that the margin of error was too large on the test. I also watched a youtube video put out by Blueprint that kinda helped, but really just reiterated the feelings I had in my gut and my head.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexandros, Instrumental, Pozzo and 8 guests