Love letter to all you TLS crazies from a lurker!

dr123

Re: Love letter to all you TLS crazies from a lurker!

Postby dr123 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:29 pm

OhOkay wrote:
rad law wrote:
zanda wrote:(kinda like the guy who says he goes to school in New Haven or Cambridge rather than at Yale or Harvard...

When some pretentious ass says to me "I go to school in Boston; well, not really in Boston, but near Boston," I always say, "Oh! Do you like Tufts?"

What would you rather he say? That he goes to Harvard? Would you judge him as any less of a pretentious ass?

Yes. If you go to Harvard, and someone asks you where you go to school, answering "Harvard" is not pretentious at all.

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:33 pm

You can't teach for Kaplan if you didn't get less than a 170. Just be thankful you weren't fired you talentless sack of sh**

dr123

Postby dr123 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:35 pm

Total Litigator wrote:You can't teach for Kaplan if you didn't get less than a 170. Just be thankful you weren't fired you talentless sack of sh**

No, Kaplan's requirements are 90% and above.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:05 pm

I grew up near a guy who went to Wharton. You don't know elitist or crazy until you've met this guy. He benched his 8 year old from a week's worth of hockey games because the kid didn't know the difference between a "high" and a "low" zone.

He is filthy rich though, and makes more in a month than I will in my lifetime.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:07 pm

minnbills wrote:I grew up near a guy who went to Wharton. You don't know elitist or crazy until you've met this guy. He benched his 8 year old from a week's worth of hockey games because the kid didn't know the difference between a "high" and a "low" zone.

donald trump?

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:08 pm

minnbills wrote:I grew up near a guy who went to Wharton. You don't know elitist or crazy until you've met this guy. He benched his 8 year old from a week's worth of hockey games because the kid didn't know the difference between a "high" and a "low" zone.

TBF that kid does sound retarded though.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:10 pm

fatduck wrote:

donald trump?

No, though kind of similar. He's more like Gordon Gekko.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:56 pm

dr123 wrote:
OhOkay wrote:
rad law wrote:
zanda wrote:(kinda like the guy who says he goes to school in New Haven or Cambridge rather than at Yale or Harvard...

When some pretentious ass says to me "I go to school in Boston; well, not really in Boston, but near Boston," I always say, "Oh! Do you like Tufts?"

What would you rather he say? That he goes to Harvard? Would you judge him as any less of a pretentious ass?

Yes. If you go to Harvard, and someone asks you where you go to school, answering "Harvard" is not pretentious at all.

Yes. Most of the people who go with "school near Boston" are falsely modest.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:10 pm

dr123 wrote:
OhOkay wrote:
rad law wrote:

It's so much more pretentious to think you are going to hurt my feelings.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:11 pm

rad law wrote:
dr123 wrote:
OhOkay wrote:
rad law wrote:When some pretentious ass says to me "I go to school in Boston; well, not really in Boston, but near Boston," I always say, "Oh! Do you like Tufts?"

Yes. Most of the people who go with "school near Boston" are falsely modest.

Just say "oh Northeastern, that's okay I guess."

seancris

Postby seancris » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:31 am

theanswer wrote:Even in practice now I feel like my partner passes me over in favor of other associates who were able to crank it out on the first LSAT.

lol wut

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:06 pm

dr123 wrote:
Total Litigator wrote:You can't teach for Kaplan if you didn't get less than a 170. Just be thankful you weren't fired you talentless sack of sh**

Yup. I took a free practice test at the local Kaplan test center after buying one of their books online, so they had my LSAC number and contact info. They called twice to ask if I wanted to apply to teach an LSAT course after I got a 165 (after freaking out and getting a 158 the first time). Um, really? I'm glad I didn't pay for your course then, because I'm so not qualified to teach that. Did you notice the part where I consistently got half the logic games questions wrong because I'm too slow? Yeah, I guess not.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:13 pm

Lawst wrote:
dr123 wrote:

Yup. I took a free practice test at the local Kaplan test center after buying one of their books online, so they had my LSAC number and contact info. They called twice to ask if I wanted to apply to teach an LSAT course after I got a 165 (after freaking out and getting a 158 the first time). Um, really? I'm glad I didn't pay for your course then, because I'm so not qualified to teach that. Did you notice the part where I consistently got half the logic games questions wrong because I'm too slow? Yeah, I guess not.

On top of that, the requirement allows them to take a Kaplan test - not a real administration - to qualify for the 90th percentile. That's just silly

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:14 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Just say "oh Northeastern, that's okay I guess."

blatant Suffolk trolling

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:16 pm

dr123 wrote:Most girls (that I interact with, at least), are impressed by any law school. You could say you go to Cooley or T4 and they'd still be impressed.

I think it is that polite impressed not the pantie melting impressed though.

lsapplicant07

Postby lsapplicant07 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:17 pm

Borhas wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Just say "oh Northeastern, that's okay I guess."

blatant Suffolk trolling

Boom. Roasted.

FantasticMrFox

Postby FantasticMrFox » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:18 pm

rad law wrote:Yes. Most of the people who go with "school near Boston" are falsely modest.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:23 pm

Just remember that you're not the psycho one... the psycho ones are the people who don't try on the LSAT, don't retake when they perform at a mediocre level, then take out 200k in debt to go to a terrible school with no job prospects, and move back in with their parents after LS. You re-took and put yourself in a better position for success, so it sounds like you're the one with the good head on your shoulders.

Although, you are going to law school, so maybe you are mentally unstable after all.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:41 pm

romothesavior wrote:Just remember that you're not the psycho one... the psycho ones are the people who don't try on the LSAT, don't retake when they perform at a mediocre level, then take out 200k in debt to go to a terrible school with no job prospects, and move back in with their parents after LS. You re-took and put yourself in a better position for success, so it sounds like you're the one with the good head on your shoulders.

Although, you are going to law school, so maybe you are mentally unstable after all.

Eh, the OP showed a shocking lack of social awareness. I'd assume he is a little psycho.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:43 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Eh, the OP showed a shocking lack of social awareness. I'd assume he is a little psycho.

When DF says you lack social awareness, you must really lack social awareness.

runplaystudy

Postby runplaystudy » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:05 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Just remember that you're not the psycho one... the psycho ones are the people who don't try on the LSAT, don't retake when they perform at a mediocre level, then take out 200k in debt to go to a terrible school with no job prospects, and move back in with their parents after LS. You re-took and put yourself in a better position for success, so it sounds like you're the one with the good head on your shoulders.

Eh, the OP showed a shocking lack of social awareness. I'd assume he is a little psycho.

:( I'm a girl, and I'm not psycho. I just got all hardcore and didn't realize other people are more cavalier about the whole "future" and "career" thing. I think TLSers have the right idea, I'm just saying that sometimes we forget that we're notttt within the realm of normalcy :P

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:35 pm

runplaystudy wrote:I'm just saying that sometimes we forget that we're notttt within the realm of normalcy :P

I'm pretty sure the meaning of that concept is relative and very flexible. :wink:

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:49 pm

Yup your just hanging out with the wrong crowd. I remember when I used to be proud of my 3.5 undergrad GPA. Apparently now its a badge of shame.

edit: that's top quarter at my state school... none of this Cornell 3.6 median bullshit...
Last edited by Total Litigator on Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

schooner

Postby schooner » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:01 pm

Actually, I think the elitist bent is a key reason why TLS is such a strong resource for aspiring/current law students. Many of the people who participate are wicked smart and earnest about offering good feedback and the wisdom they've gleaned over the years (or weeks). There is a lot of high-quality constructive advice to be found here, precisely because there are so many actual and wannabe high-achievers posting.

But there's a lot of crap & self-esteem crushing commentary around here too, and anonymity does make people mean.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:49 pm

Total Litigator wrote:Yup your just hanging out with the wrong crowd. I remember when I used to be proud of my 3.5 undergrad GPA. Apparently now its a badge of shame.

edit: that's top quarter at my state school... none of this Cornell 3.6 median bullshit...

well at least you didn't rack up $200k of debt before law school

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”