Reading this made me think of the LSAT

loomstate

Reading this made me think of the LSAT

Postby loomstate » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:03 pm

hope some TL schoolers enjoy the implications of neuroscience as much as I.. I do feel like LSAT practice makes me think better

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... re_twitter

sarahlawg

Re: Reading this made me think of the LSAT

Postby sarahlawg » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:28 pm

I thought it was interesting, thanks for sharing. I do wonder why the effects only lasted 3 months after the training. I suppose sifting through the bs is something we continually have to work on :)

wolfpack37

Postby wolfpack37 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:15 pm

sarahlawg wrote:I thought it was interesting, thanks for sharing. I do wonder why the effects only lasted 3 months after the training. I suppose sifting through the bs is something we continually have to work on :)

They may have just stopped following up on the children after 3 months. I'm not saying that's the case and I have no idea how these scientific studies work so I'm not even saying that's likely, but it is at least a little ambiguous as to whether they lost their gains, or if simply 3 months later, they still had gains, but stopped following up/published the study.

FantasticMrFox

Postby FantasticMrFox » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:36 pm

wolfpack37 wrote:
sarahlawg wrote:I thought it was interesting, thanks for sharing. I do wonder why the effects only lasted 3 months after the training. I suppose sifting through the bs is something we continually have to work on :)

They may have just stopped following up on the children after 3 months. I'm not saying that's the case and I have no idea how these scientific studies work so I'm not even saying that's likely, but it is at least a little ambiguous as to whether they lost their gains, or if simply 3 months later, they still had gains, but stopped following up/published the study.

By the way they worded that sentence about three months, it doesn't seem like they just stopped following up but the children (probably the majority, not all) stopped showing gains and plateaued (or even deteriorated?) It makes sense seeing the point of the article was that even though our brains aren't equal, there are still marginal changes we can make through exercises etc. (but can't change a not-intelligent kid to an intelligent one)

Interesting; child development is definitely fascinating (if I were good at science, neuroscience would have been my first choice major :lol:)

db616

Postby db616 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:10 am

Thanks for sharing!

Here's another good article that deals with n-back tasks and increasing fluid intelligence:

--LinkRemoved--

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:31 am

Cool post Loomstate!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”