Advice on a Cancel..(Please hear me out)

LSATBuddha

Advice on a Cancel..(Please hear me out)

Postby LSATBuddha » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:03 pm

Hey everyone,

I have viewed these forums for such a long time and the information given here has been soo valuable. Judging by the title of this thread, I am sure you know that a seek a little bit more advice. Needless to say, I took the June LSAT and had a terrible experience. I totally panicked and freaked. The test became such an outer-body experience. There is no excuse for this, no reason why, and I never thought this would happen to me. I was one of those that believed that if you prepped enough you had nothing to fear. I prepped for about six months. My pts were from 165-170 (about 25 full ones with timed conditions, though I took multiple sections from many others, pretty much did every question). I really felt confident in my abilities heading in.

The first LR went fine but then I completely bugged on the first LG. I didn’t finish the third game (bubble guessed D on 4 or 5) although I finished the 1st, 2nd, and 4th one. Then I had another LG section which I aced. However, that was the experimental. The break really got to me. I wish it hadn't happened. My second Lr was tough and I remember stumbling hard on early Q's. When I got to like the last six questions they were all soo long. I tried to pick out the ones to do best with my time running down. I bubble guessed on 4 and really felt horrible on that section as whole. RC was last and completely destroyed me. I usually just go after the passage with the most questions the first and it just so happened to be the infamous reading passage for that test. The rest of the section went downhill and I blind guessed on two at the end.

Going in lg was my worst section. It used to be my best, but the last three preptests 60-62 really shook me with lg. I kind of had bad mindset going in. I always relied on rc to make up for that score. However, this rc really ripped me a new one. I know I can't rely on this rc to make up for my performance in lg. Honestly the test is such a blur that I can't remember how confident I am in any of my answers. I never thought this would happen and it never even popped up in my mind that it would. I choked and there is no other explanation (it's terrible but it is what is).

I just would like a little advice from you guys. Feel free to unload your honest opinion no matter how harsh it may sound. I have a 3.9 gpa from a tier 1 school. I am not delusional about going to t-14. The only school I ever told myself I would apply to if I got a 169 or above is Duke. Other than that I want to stay in the Philadelphia area (nova, temple,rutgers). If my score is terrible like low 150's to high 140's will it kill me at these schools if I take it again and get like 162-164? Honestly, the feeling is pretty sickening right now. I guess I wanna know is how low is too low to have for a first time lsat score? Is it better to cancel? (Please forgive the length of this and thanks for any advice at all)

Moxie

Re: Advice on a Cancel..(Please hear me out)

Postby Moxie » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:07 pm

LSATBuddha wrote:I just would like a little advice from you guys. Feel free to unload your honest opinion no matter how harsh it may sound.

Usually I'm of the crowd that says "get your score since you don't really know how well you did", but it seems like you did terrible so cancel.

I don't know what you expect to hear, considering this is now the 7 billionth thread in TLS history on this subject. Search them for advice, nobody is going to post in this thread with brilliant insightful information that hasn't been stated before.

LSATBuddha

Postby LSATBuddha » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:08 pm

Yea i know its the 100th one. I looked at them all and didnt see like a thread devoted to stories like these although thats a good idea. No one can make the decision but myself, that I know. Just trying to soak things up and get back to reality.

thanks for the advice moxie :)

Verity

Postby Verity » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:17 pm

With a 3.9 and a 169 or 170, you'd be looking at UPenn, especially with ED (ED application must be sent by November 15, complete by December 1, plenty of time with the October LSAT). Cancel, and retake for a 170. If you even had to guess at all you probably ended up bombing it.

seancris

Postby seancris » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:25 pm

Break it down. How many wrong on LGs on your best/worst days. Do this for each section. Then you have a raw score for best/worst case senarios. Then convert each using a recent chart out of 101. Then add 2 to the worst senario and subtract 2 from the best senario. This is your range. If a score in this range would be acceptable for nova, temple or rutgers considering your GPA then keep it, IMO.

Verity

Postby Verity » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:28 pm

Wrong. Don't throw away your GPA. 168+ gets you T14. It's not a "delusion," it's a certainty (unless you're a convicted felon or something). A bad score on your record though could harm you. I would just cancel, do a little more studying (but DON'T burn out), and try to work on keeping cool and watching your timing.

LSATBuddha

Postby LSATBuddha » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:22 pm

Totally get what you are saying verity, its just I dont know if I have such a score in me after what happened on Monday. I know my pts show its possible but my pts never made me nervous. I always finished well and paced well. Pace seemed to be the problem on the test but how do I control for that now seeing as how I have done most pts. I am gonna be quicker automatically from being slightly familiar with them. I don't know how to prepare for that.

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:51 pm

LSATBuddha wrote:Totally get what you are saying verity, its just I dont know if I have such a score in me after what happened on Monday. I know my pts show its possible but my pts never made me nervous. I always finished well and paced well. Pace seemed to be the problem on the test but how do I control for that now seeing as how I have done most pts. I am gonna be quicker automatically from being slightly familiar with them. I don't know how to prepare for that.

Come on, we all have bad days, think positively - you got yours out of you on Monday, and now you're going to come roaring back when you retake!! :D

Did you take your PT under timed conditions? Are you grading yourself strictly (ex: not giving yourself credit if you "almost" got an answer, etc.) I also did well by taking my practice tests at the same time every day (at 9am, the same time as the actual LSAT I took) which can be very helpful!

Retake, don't waste a good GPA on a crappy LSAT.

wolfpack37

Postby wolfpack37 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:16 pm

I'm of the opinion that having an actual score on record relieves some of the pressure (it did for me). Look at how schools you want to go to evaluate lower scores and decide from there. If the top 5 schools you want to go to look at only your highest score, then who cares if you have a lower score -> retake.

thegrayman

Postby thegrayman » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:07 pm

I would cancel, and spend a crapload of time on simulating real testing conditions. The LSAT that you took was the same test that you practiced with for months beforehand, the only change was that it "counting" vs just being practice threw a wrench in your methods. You need to get to the point where you can just walk in and take the thing, don't put it up on a pedestal and crack under pressure (easier said than done, obviously). I knew I was ready to take the LSAT when the night before I slept like a baby, and literally just walked in and took the thing like it was any other practice test.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”