Testing Center Irregularity Questions Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
postn0bills

Bronze

Testing Center Irregularity Questions

Post by postn0bills » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:27 pm

Wondering a couple of things... our proctor failed to call five minutes on the third section of Monday's LSAT... is this worth reporting to LSAC? What does one do to report such an irregularity? What happens once it is reported?

I ended up being a little thrown off but ultimately OK with it because I had a watch on my desk and was keeping track of time, but after the section time was called several of us spoke up that she had failed to call five minutes. She adamantly refused to accept that she did not call five minutes, but the entire room of about 50 people started chiming in that they hadn't heard her call it. One girl had even asked another proctor in the room if there were five minutes left around the time that there were five minutes left, and the other proctor shrugged and shook her head no.

Thanks guys!

glitter178

Silver

Re: Testing Center Irregularity Questions

Post by glitter178 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:35 pm

my guess is that other people in the class are going to do it for you.
i wouldn't, though. i never trusted the proctor enough to call 5 minutes, that's the point of having your own watch to keep time. would be different if the proctor cut the section time down five minutes or something insane like that.
plus, if you were keeping time and it didn't mess you up, what are you hoping for other than a score delay?

seancris

Silver

Post by seancris » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:49 pm

If you do that, your score is likely to be delayed for weeks from what I've heard. If that doesn't matter to you, go ahead and do it. If it matters, it's just a matter of doing some cost/benefit analysis on your part.

postn0bills

Bronze

Post by postn0bills » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:53 pm

I guess I am a woman of principle. And while for the most part it did not mess me up, I was still certainly thrown off. But mostly on principle. I would hate for myself or anyone else to get stuck with this proctor again.

That's also why I'm asking these questions.. what would happen essentially? What's the process? I am new to this so just trying to get information. Thanks!

LockBox

Bronze

Post by LockBox » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:56 pm

So besides possibly reprimanding the proctor, what does the OP have to gain by reporting this irregularity?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

glitter178

Silver

Post by glitter178 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:58 pm

LockBox wrote:So besides possibly reprimanding the proctor, what does the OP have to gain by reporting this irregularity?
PRINCIPLE, duh.

postn0bills

Bronze

Post by postn0bills » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:59 pm

LockBox wrote:So besides possibly reprimanding the proctor, what does the OP have to gain by reporting this irregularity?
That's sort of what I am asking.. what happens when something like this is reported? Is it just.. reported? Or is there a re-test or does it go to law schools I apply to or what? So, I don't know that there is any point to reporting it beyond on principle.

postn0bills

Bronze

Post by postn0bills » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:00 pm

glitter178 wrote:
PRINCIPLE, duh.
Indeed.

postn0bills

Bronze

Post by postn0bills » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:20 pm

This is not where I intended the thread to go. I really just wanted to find out general information. I don't even know what occurs when something is reported, or how something is reported. I think my question could help a lot of TLSers, so aside from the unwarranted/snide comments, I would really appreciate if someone could explain the process so I am more informed. Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:22 pm

The proctor may be disciplined & the test takers scores' delayed.

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:29 pm

postn0bills wrote:This is not where I intended the thread to go. I really just wanted to find out general information. I don't even know what occurs when something is reported, or how something is reported. I think my question could help a lot of TLSers, so aside from the unwarranted/snide comments, I would really appreciate if someone could explain the process so I am more informed. Thanks.
You could just call them and ask. 215.968.1001

postn0bills

Bronze

Post by postn0bills » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:32 pm

Jeffort wrote:
postn0bills wrote:This is not where I intended the thread to go. I really just wanted to find out general information. I don't even know what occurs when something is reported, or how something is reported. I think my question could help a lot of TLSers, so aside from the unwarranted/snide comments, I would really appreciate if someone could explain the process so I am more informed. Thanks.
You could just call them and ask.
I can try to call them when I get out of work, certainly. I also tried to look it up but there is nothing online about it that I could find. I thought maybe one or a few of my fellow TLSers would be kind enough to give me some information on it in the meantime, so I came here. :)

suspicious android

Silver

Post by suspicious android » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:36 pm

Don't know why some people are giving you such a hard time; it's a legitimate question. You need to e-mail LSAC, but I have been through this with a student before. Basically, best case scenario is that you'll get a free re-take. They may also admit there was a problem with the proctor and take unspecified action to prevent it from happening again (maybe nothing, maybe not hiring her again).

The only thing is, in previous cases I was privy to, it was a clearer case of irregularity and the student canceled. It might mean that changes thing or might not, I don't know.

postn0bills

Bronze

Post by postn0bills » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:55 pm

suspicious android wrote:Don't know why some people are giving you such a hard time; it's a legitimate question. You need to e-mail LSAC, but I have been through this with a student before. Basically, best case scenario is that you'll get a free re-take. They may also admit there was a problem with the proctor and take unspecified action to prevent it from happening again (maybe nothing, maybe not hiring her again).

The only thing is, in previous cases I was privy to, it was a clearer case of irregularity and the student canceled. It might mean that changes thing or might not, I don't know.
Thank you for your response -- it's certainly helpful and appreciated. :) I had no idea if there was a formal process or what, and also in what case(s) something should be or has been reported. I probably won't end up reporting the incident because it didn't bother me as much and it seems not to be serious enough to do so, but this information is really good to know in case I decide to exercise that option.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”