Another cancel thread

nj1412
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:49 am

Another cancel thread

Postby nj1412 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:18 am

So I know I only really have until Friday morning to decide, but I've been entirely conflicted on what to do about my June LSAT. I took a Kaplan course (total crap), and spent the month after finals doing a lot of PT's. I'm PTing 157-163. My goal would be around a 165-166 or higher, but I have no idea if I can score that high. And when I think back on it, I can't really decide if I prepped right in the first place. I'm looking at T40 with my reach schools being T20 (if I can pull higher than a 166 in October). Anyway my test was LG-LR-LG-RC-LR. I was really hoping that the first LG was the real one because I likely did -1. But it seems like that one was the experimental. No idea how i did on either LR, I’m usually -5,-8 on each section. The real LG did not go well, I honestly cannot remember how many I got, but I started with the balls game, which took a lot of time and I did not finish. I just remember trying to convince myself it was experimental. I know the 3rd one was hard too, and I can’t remember for the life of me how many I answered. The first two were easy, but I have no idea how many I got through. The RC is usually my worst section and (-10 on PT) and this one was the worst. I got through most questions on 3 of them but I felt like I was guessing (and I'm usually terrible when I don't feel that way). The third one I had 2 minutes for, skimmed and guessed.
While I'm not looking at HYS or really any T15 law schools, I am trying to decide if I should cancel today or tomorrow morning. I know I did not do as well as I was PTing, but I have no idea how much worse. Do you guys think it would be better to cancel this time and study and then have to keep my score then no matter what. I'm afraid there will be some circumstance that prevents me from doing so, or the LG's or RC's will be way too hard and I'll have to keep it. If I keep it and just bomb it and get a low 150 or even 140's, how badly will that reflect on my application. For schools that say they take highest or "consider the whole package", how much they will consider how poorly you did on one exam, even if you jump into the 160's the next time.
Sorry for the super long explanation, it seems like everyone here is more knowledgably about the risks and benefits than I am. input appreciated.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Another cancel thread

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:23 am

Keep your score. Many posters feel that they did not do as well as hoped for on this sitting for the LSAT. Post test anxieties are quite common, but you need an LSAT score in order to apply to law schools plus, if you retake, it can serve as great motivation.

On the other hand, your PTs were below your target scores & you felt poorly prepared by Kaplan. If you cancel, are you willing to invest the time & effort to prepare differently ?

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: Another cancel thread

Postby albanach » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:28 am

Keep your score. If it's low and you improve in October, the schools you are looking at won't care - though you might want to throw in a two sentence addendum explaining what changed to help you increase your score.

You need to get your PT scores consistently at or above your target for test day. Although applying late makes things more difficult, an extra couple of points will easily outweigh any disadvantage. Revise your study methods and don't be afraid of postponing until December if you are still not testing in range.

nj1412
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:49 am

Re: Another cancel thread

Postby nj1412 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:35 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Keep your score. Many posters feel that they did not do as well as hoped for on this sitting for the LSAT. Post test anxieties are quite common, but you need an LSAT score in order to apply to law schools plus, if you retake, it can serve as great motivation.

On the other hand, your PTs were below your target scores & you felt poorly prepared by Kaplan. If you cancel, are you willing to invest the time & effort to prepare differently ?


Absolutely. If I give myself an extra 10 minutes or so on each section I can easily score a 165-166. My big problem is getting faster at RC while still absorbing info, and getting faster at solving the hardest LG's. I think I need a better and more gradual study approach, and while it sucks, I know I can put the effort into it, plus I honestly don't think I reached a 160 so I'd be retaking regardless. (I'm just worried because I need a score to apply, and if something goes wrong in October, I am screwed). My main concern is in the worst case situation when I already know I blew RC totally and maybe did max -12 on LG and end up with an abysmal score on either side of 150, how much will that effect my application in terms of my T40 target schools and T20 reach schools

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: Another cancel thread

Postby albanach » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:25 am

nj1412 wrote: how much will that effect my application in terms of my T40 target schools and T20 reach schools


As long as you can get that LSAT up above their median they won't care.

User avatar
RaleighStClair
Posts: 482
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 12:10 am

Re: Another cancel thread

Postby RaleighStClair » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:32 pm

So I'm in the exact same position as you...same PT range, same goals, first LSAT (assuming it was your first) and even the same test breakdown and confidence level on each section. I think I did better on LG's however, and below my average for LR.
Anyway, I'm surprised at how confident everyone I've talked to is about keeping this score. I'm pretty sure that I'll be in the low 150s, or mid 150s if I'm lucky. It truly was an awful performance.

nj1412
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:49 am

Re: Another cancel thread

Postby nj1412 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:45 pm

RaleighStClair wrote:So I'm in the exact same position as you...same PT range, same goals, first LSAT (assuming it was your first) and even the same test breakdown and confidence level on each section. I think I did better on LG's however, and below my average for LR.
Anyway, I'm surprised at how confident everyone I've talked to is about keeping this score. I'm pretty sure that I'll be in the low 150s, or mid 150s if I'm lucky. It truly was an awful performance.


Yep, I compleatly understand. Are you canceling it? I'm just concerned that even if they take the highest score, a 140 would just reflect horribly on me and they would maybe subconsciously consider it.

To all the HYS people here. Do you guys think that if I was plain awful on this exam, and somehow happen to change my study methods enough to go up 10 points from my prep to a 170, do you think a top 10-20 school like Georgetown/ Vanderbilt/ GW would just write me off?

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: Another cancel thread

Postby akili » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:04 pm

nj1412 wrote:
RaleighStClair wrote:So I'm in the exact same position as you...same PT range, same goals, first LSAT (assuming it was your first) and even the same test breakdown and confidence level on each section. I think I did better on LG's however, and below my average for LR.
Anyway, I'm surprised at how confident everyone I've talked to is about keeping this score. I'm pretty sure that I'll be in the low 150s, or mid 150s if I'm lucky. It truly was an awful performance.


Yep, I compleatly understand. Are you canceling it? I'm just concerned that even if they take the highest score, a 140 would just reflect horribly on me and they would maybe subconsciously consider it.

To all the HYS people here. Do you guys think that if I was plain awful on this exam, and somehow happen to change my study methods enough to go up 10 points from my prep to a 170, do you think a top 10-20 school like Georgetown/ Vanderbilt/ GW would just write me off?


They honestly don't care. I had 160/160/169 and got in to to Vandy and GW no problem with late apps. The only schools that really care are the tip-top.

nj1412
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:49 am

Re: Another cancel thread

Postby nj1412 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:15 pm

akili wrote:
nj1412 wrote:
RaleighStClair wrote:So I'm in the exact same position as you...same PT range, same goals, first LSAT (assuming it was your first) and even the same test breakdown and confidence level on each section. I think I did better on LG's however, and below my average for LR.
Anyway, I'm surprised at how confident everyone I've talked to is about keeping this score. I'm pretty sure that I'll be in the low 150s, or mid 150s if I'm lucky. It truly was an awful performance.


Yep, I compleatly understand. Are you canceling it? I'm just concerned that even if they take the highest score, a 140 would just reflect horribly on me and they would maybe subconsciously consider it.

To all the HYS people here. Do you guys think that if I was plain awful on this exam, and somehow happen to change my study methods enough to go up 10 points from my prep to a 170, do you think a top 10-20 school like Georgetown/ Vanderbilt/ GW would just write me off?


They honestly don't care. I had 160/160/169 and got in to to Vandy and GW no problem with late apps. The only schools that really care are the tip-top.


That does make me feel better... but you scored a 160, which is by no means an embarrasing score. What I'm trying figure out is if they care if I do a 145-150 and go up to a 165-170.

btw, I would be interested to know what school you decided on.

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: Another cancel thread

Postby akili » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:35 pm

If you do score a 145-150 and bump up to 165-170, I would definitely write an addendum. Even then, they are just going to look at your top score.

I picked Vandy. It was between UT, Vandy and Cornell (didn't let me know until super late) and Vandy had a combination of the best fit, $$ and not being in Texas. I grew up in Austin, so I wanted something different.

nj1412
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:49 am

Re: Another cancel thread

Postby nj1412 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:28 pm

What about a school like Georgetown?

I have a good GPA and really good soft stuff, (work experience, leadership, refrences) So I'm having a hard time counting myself of the top law schools just because I test poorly.

User avatar
RaleighStClair
Posts: 482
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 12:10 am

Re: Another cancel thread

Postby RaleighStClair » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:32 pm

nj1412 wrote:
RaleighStClair wrote:So I'm in the exact same position as you...same PT range, same goals, first LSAT (assuming it was your first) and even the same test breakdown and confidence level on each section. I think I did better on LG's however, and below my average for LR.
Anyway, I'm surprised at how confident everyone I've talked to is about keeping this score. I'm pretty sure that I'll be in the low 150s, or mid 150s if I'm lucky. It truly was an awful performance.


Yep, I compleatly understand. Are you canceling it? I'm just concerned that even if they take the highest score, a 140 would just reflect horribly on me and they would maybe subconsciously consider it.

To all the HYS people here. Do you guys think that if I was plain awful on this exam, and somehow happen to change my study methods enough to go up 10 points from my prep to a 170, do you think a top 10-20 school like Georgetown/ Vanderbilt/ GW would just write me off?


I don't know...I'm so confused honestly. It's pretty much the classic cancel/keep predicament. On one hand, I can hope for a mid 150s score that MIGHT get me into some backups if something goes horribly wrong again in October. And on the other, I could (like you were saying) end up with a low 150s or even 140s that would essentially get me nowhere...probably a step backwards given that I would have to write an addendum.
I'm leaning towards cancelling and just throwing everything I have at the October exam. At least there will still be December if that goes badly. But it's not going to! Forget I even said that. We're going to kill it in October.

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: Another cancel thread

Postby akili » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:53 pm

nj1412 wrote:What about a school like Georgetown?

I have a good GPA and really good soft stuff, (work experience, leadership, refrences) So I'm having a hard time counting myself of the top law schools just because I test poorly.


I was in the "small group on the special priority waitlist" but I wasn't interested in paying sticker at Georgetown so I withdrew. With a 170 you'd probably be in. If you have more questions, you can check out my LSN that is linked to my profile.

nj1412
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:49 am

Re: Another cancel thread

Postby nj1412 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:50 pm

I appreciate the input. Does anyone think I should cancel it and just intensely study for October?

User avatar
RaleighStClair
Posts: 482
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 12:10 am

Re: Another cancel thread

Postby RaleighStClair » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:11 pm

nj1412 wrote:I appreciate the input. Does anyone think I should cancel it and just intensely study for October?


NJ,

I was commenting on this thread earlier when I was trying to decide, and after consulting a few people on here and a couple of friends (who are at T-14 schools with cancels on their records), I decided to cut my losses and fax in the cancellation sheet. It was a tough decision, but I feel like it was ultimately the right one. I just wouldn't forgive myself if my score came back as a 152 (which is the average score between my best and worst possible scenarios for this test). Also, it being the first time I've taken it, I think my worst is behind me and I'll do much better in October. And if not, there's always December. With our PT's all being in the 160s and another few months of studying between now and October, I think we owe it to ourselves to have our applications show only the best score(s) we are capable of achieving. Good luck with your decision.

whipy
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:02 pm

Re: Another cancel thread

Postby whipy » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:28 pm

nj1412 wrote:So I know I only really have until Friday morning to decide, ....


No, you have another few hours yet. Cancel deadline is today, Sunday June 12th....

jim-green
Posts: 808
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:55 pm

Re: Another cancel thread

Postby jim-green » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:39 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Many posters feel that they did not do as well as hoped for on this sitting for the LSAT.
I feel the same this time. I took the LSAT before, when my feelings did match up with my score. But this test was different from that LSAT, and different from all my PTs, when my feelings did match up with scores. However, this time I really felt I did not do as well as PTs or the earlier LSAT.
How are you making this statement above: Many posters feel that they did not do as well as hoped for on this sitting for the LSAT? Is this just a general statement that happens every time - people did not feel they did well coming out of the test? Or did you find something different about the posts this time - June 2011?




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 34iplaw, bigv, BobBoblaw, Deardevil, Greenteachurro, proteinshake, Yahoo [Bot] and 16 guests