Success on Arguments (LR) Really Is Attitude.

User avatar
boosk
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: Success on Arguments (LR) Really Is Attitude.

Postby boosk » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:33 pm

uh dont read the question stem before the stimulus...

Audio Technica Guy
Posts: 317
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:21 pm

Re: Success on Arguments (LR) Really Is Attitude.

Postby Audio Technica Guy » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:35 pm

Verity wrote:Maybe I'm just a jerk. Deal with it.


Read: you gotta learn TLS humor.


been here off and on for a year or so and didn't get it. My bad, I guess.

Audio Technica Guy
Posts: 317
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:21 pm

Re: Success on Arguments (LR) Really Is Attitude.

Postby Audio Technica Guy » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:36 pm

boosk wrote:uh dont read the question stem before the stimulus...


The major test prep companies are pretty split on this. I do it, I make 180s. I teach my students to do it, they love it once they get used to it. That's all I really have to say on the matter.

Audio Technica Guy
Posts: 317
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:21 pm

Re: Success on Arguments (LR) Really Is Attitude.

Postby Audio Technica Guy » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

http://edge.org/conversation/the-argumentative-theory

there is a link to the recent studies I was talking about.

User avatar
Verity
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Success on Arguments (LR) Really Is Attitude.

Postby Verity » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:40 pm

Audio Technica Guy wrote:
Verity wrote:Maybe I'm just a jerk. Deal with it.


Read: you gotta learn TLS humor.


been here off and on for a year or so and didn't get it. My bad, I guess.



1. OP uses the word "jerk" inaptly to describe an "investigative" or "skeptical" or "argumentative" attitude advantageous to logical reasoning.

2. Poster satirically acts like a "jerk" and employs irony in challenging OP's argument in a flawed way.

3. OP takes the bait. Hook, line, and sinker.



Just messing with you, OP.

Audio Technica Guy
Posts: 317
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:21 pm

Re: Success on Arguments (LR) Really Is Attitude.

Postby Audio Technica Guy » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:46 pm

Verity wrote:
Audio Technica Guy wrote:
Verity wrote:Maybe I'm just a jerk. Deal with it.


Read: you gotta learn TLS humor.


been here off and on for a year or so and didn't get it. My bad, I guess.



1. OP uses the word "jerk" inaptly to describe an "investigative" or "skeptical" or "argumentative" attitude advantageous to logical reasoning.

2. Poster satirically acts like a "jerk" and employs irony in challenging OP's argument in a flawed way.

3. OP takes the bait. Hook, line, and sinker.



Just messing with you, OP.


no, its cool. I think where I didn't get it was because I didn't mean to imply that it is being a jerk that makes them do better, what I meant to say was that certain types of jerks do better, because they have certain qualities. That is, I didn't mean to say that jerks are "investigative, skeptical or argumentative" I meant to say that they are correlated with those qualities often times. and my whole point is that you could train yourself to think that way more, by kind of being more aggressive. So then I spent most of the time trying to clarify what I was saying, not really defending what I actually said. Ha.

Anyway, it's always been one of my main problems with LSAT argument explanations. They're so detached sounding. Of course they're correct, but they often don't help students because students think that they can sort of passively judge their way through args. When you really have to attack your way through at least the flaw based argument questions.

User avatar
suspicious android
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Success on Arguments (LR) Really Is Attitude.

Postby suspicious android » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:26 pm

I disagree with you and that makes me angry!!!!


Oh, also... "question stem first" vs "stimulus first" is the most ridiculous argument to consistently get play on TLS, worse even than the curve being calculated pre-test or post-test.

User avatar
Eichörnchen
Posts: 1119
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 pm

Re: Success on Arguments (LR) Really Is Attitude.

Postby Eichörnchen » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:05 pm

soj wrote:
Audio Technica Guy wrote:jerks tend to do better on arguments

Eich, OP is saying you're a jerk! :o

Image

Hahaha Soj you're right! All this time I thought I was just a logical thinker but this flawless piece of reasoning proves it is my inherent bitchiness that is serving me well. Whatever works 8)

Image




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexandros, Baidu [Spider], Voyager and 5 guests