Going through the PowerScore LR Bible in 1 month?

notaznguy
Posts: 318
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:48 am

Going through the PowerScore LR Bible in 1 month?

Postby notaznguy » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:19 am

For those that went through the entire LR BIble in a month, how many hours a day did you study/do practice-drill problems?

Also, was 1 month enough for your to "master" LR? Like, were you getting -1 through -3 by the time you were finished?

When I took my diagnostic test a year ago, my raw score was something like 23 correct and 27 wrong. or something like that.

User avatar
Helicio
Posts: 483
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:22 pm

Re: Going through the PowerScore LR Bible in 1 month?

Postby Helicio » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:33 am

I'm curious too, since I just bought this.

User avatar
TheFutureLawyer
Posts: 3878
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 2:28 pm

Re: Going through the PowerScore LR Bible in 1 month?

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:04 am

A month should be more than enough time to go through the LR Bible, unless you're incredibly busy, in which case I hope you plan to start studying for the LSAT very early.

I didn't drastically improve immediately after going through the LR Bible (though it's hard to say since I only did 1 PT beforehand), but as you go through the PTs, you understand better just what is being asked and how to answer.

By and far the most important part of studying for the LSAT is doing the PTs (I did the 30 most recent, and that's what I tell people they should do at a minimum, I regret not starting way early and doing all the PTs) AND thoroughly reviewing the aftermath. For EVERY SINGLE QUESTION you should know why the right answer is right. For EVERY QUESTION YOU GET WRONG you should know what you did wrong. For LG, know how to diagram as best as possible. If you can't diagram well, you sink. If you do, you swim to the next section. The LG Bible teaches you how to diagram very well. That is why LG Bible is king of LSAT prep (though the PTs are the LSAT prep).

futureonel80
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:09 pm

Re: Going through the PowerScore LR Bible in 1 month?

Postby futureonel80 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:14 pm

Have you looked into the Getprepped materials? They are surprisingly decent.

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Going through the PowerScore LR Bible in 1 month?

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:21 pm

It took me less than a month to get through the LRB, and that was while working FT and devoting only an hour or two everyday after work to getting through it. I saw improvements right away -- I went from missing 8-10 total to missing 1-4 total. I'd highly recommend the LRB. I would, however, also recommend doing more than just the LRB because that's all I did in terms of prep work for LR, and my scores would still occasionally dip lower (ie into the -5 to -10 range).

User avatar
Helicio
Posts: 483
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:22 pm

Re: Going through the PowerScore LR Bible in 1 month?

Postby Helicio » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:30 pm

I've been going through it and it is great. But to study with it, did you guys just go through it once and do all the exercises, or did you read and re-read the chapters?

Also, I thought Powerscore's Primary Objectives were a little weird. I'm taking a lot of their advice, but I'm not taking their advice on reading the stimulus first before the question stem. I still read the question stem first.

Did you guys who used PS LRB do this too or did you listen to their primary objectives? I am taking most of the advice and think it is really helpful, but the Primary Objectives stuff...meh.

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Going through the PowerScore LR Bible in 1 month?

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:43 pm

Helicio wrote:I've been going through it and it is great. But to study with it, did you guys just go through it once and do all the exercises, or did you read and re-read the chapters?

Also, I thought Powerscore's Primary Objectives were a little weird. I'm taking a lot of their advice, but I'm not taking their advice on reading the stimulus first before the question stem. I still read the question stem first.

Did you guys who used PS LRB do this too or did you listen to their primary objectives? I am taking most of the advice and think it is really helpful, but the Primary Objectives stuff...meh.

I only read through it once, though multiple readings might be helpful as well. And I've always read the stimulus first. Have you tried reading stim first to see if it has an effect on your accuracy?

cubswin
Posts: 618
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 4:40 pm

Re: Going through the PowerScore LR Bible in 1 month?

Postby cubswin » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:45 pm

I went through it in about 2 weeks (the 2 weeks right before the exam). Didn't really do any drills aside from the problems at the end of each chapter. I probably could have gotten more out of it, but it helped me cut down my LR sections from an average of -4/-5 to -2 on test day.

User avatar
Helicio
Posts: 483
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:22 pm

Re: Going through the PowerScore LR Bible in 1 month?

Postby Helicio » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:54 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Helicio wrote:I've been going through it and it is great. But to study with it, did you guys just go through it once and do all the exercises, or did you read and re-read the chapters?

Also, I thought Powerscore's Primary Objectives were a little weird. I'm taking a lot of their advice, but I'm not taking their advice on reading the stimulus first before the question stem. I still read the question stem first.

Did you guys who used PS LRB do this too or did you listen to their primary objectives? I am taking most of the advice and think it is really helpful, but the Primary Objectives stuff...meh.

I only read through it once, though multiple readings might be helpful as well. And I've always read the stimulus first. Have you tried reading stim first to see if it has an effect on your accuracy?


Hm, I'll try to do it and see what happens.

ErictheRed
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:45 pm

Re: Going through the PowerScore LR Bible in 1 month?

Postby ErictheRed » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:05 pm

I went through it in a day (which I'm sure was less effective than breaking it into smaller chunks) and even that was a big help in increasing my score. I just worked right through it and then as I tackled some PTs afterwards and saw what type of questions I still needed to work on would go back and use it as a reference guide.

User avatar
FantasticMrFox
Posts: 592
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: Going through the PowerScore LR Bible in 1 month?

Postby FantasticMrFox » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:06 pm

A chapter a day and you will be done in around 20 days but some chapters are relatively short so if you have the time, do more.

User avatar
cany
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:15 pm

Re: Going through the PowerScore LR Bible in 1 month?

Postby cany » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:57 am

I am starting the LRB today.I am excited.I am giving myself atleast a month.June 9-July 9.
Since,once the concept and understanding of LR type is rock solid there is low probability of getting questions wrong.
:) We can do this!!!!
notaznguy wrote:For those that went through the entire LR BIble in a month, how many hours a day did you study/do practice-drill problems?

Also, was 1 month enough for your to "master" LR? Like, were you getting -1 through -3 by the time you were finished?

When I took my diagnostic test a year ago, my raw score was something like 23 correct and 27 wrong. or something like that.

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Going through the PowerScore LR Bible in 1 month?

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:21 pm

Helicio wrote:Hm, I'll try to do it and see what happens.

Yeah I mean, it seems kind of silly to invest all this time in a book and not even attempt to implement one of the main tips it gives you...if you try it on a couple of sections and don't see any improvement, then maybe reading the q first helps you, but I think they advise you to read the stimulus first for a reason.

User avatar
warandpeace
Posts: 301
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:43 pm

Re: Going through the PowerScore LR Bible in 1 month?

Postby warandpeace » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:56 pm

i'm another who seconds the idea of stimulus then stem, but i think it depends person to person.

User avatar
Helicio
Posts: 483
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:22 pm

Re: Going through the PowerScore LR Bible in 1 month?

Postby Helicio » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:05 pm

Update: On Chapter 6 now (Conditional Reasoning). The Logical Reasoning Bible is WAY better than anything else I've gone through so far. It is thorough and I think just going through it once helps more than in other books because the exercises at the ends of chapters reinforce what you learn.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: VMars, Yahoo [Bot] and 10 guests