Best RC Prep Book?

dkang

Best RC Prep Book?

Postby dkang » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:40 pm

I'm missing 10 questions per RC section, far more than any of my other sections. What would you recommend as the best prep book to improve my RC scores?

JD2014

Re: Best RC Prep Book?

Postby JD2014 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:37 pm

Most people consider the reading comp bible to be overrated, but at -10, it can't hurt. The grouped by reading comp passage book is also very useful, especially if it's a certain type of passage that is killing you (e.g. science or humanities).

http://www.amazon.com/PowerScore-LSAT-R ... 816&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Grouped-Passage-T ... 837&sr=8-1

john1990

Postby john1990 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:43 pm

I read the reading comprehension bible and it really did not help me much. Half of the book is devoted to breaking down actual lsat passages which is helpful but not great. I still havent solved my RC woes and i still get -4 to -10 myself. Right now im just working on reading complex text on a daily basis and trying to up my natural reading speed and analysis skills

Hunterrhoid

Postby Hunterrhoid » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:44 pm

Manhattan LSAT has a great conceptual primer and method that I think is very fast. However, I do not think it is universally applicable or even optimal for all passages. For LR and LG, we learn multiple strategies to deal with the various kinds of challenges we will see in those sections, but I think it is a common (and wrong) assumption that the challenges in diagramming/noting passages are always the same.

I heavily practiced both MLSAT's method, and Voyager's RC method (Linked here:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7240) and approached the section like Mixed Martial Arts. You may have to vary your style and speed depending on what you see. Learning both helped me to default to one or the other, or hybridize if needed. RC became a cinch.

$.02

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:44 pm

glucose101

Postby glucose101 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:06 pm

MLSAT=good! best I've seen.

GoldenGloves

Postby GoldenGloves » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:25 pm

Hunterrhoid wrote:
I heavily practiced both MLSAT's method, and Voyager's RC method (Linked here:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7240) and approached the section like Mixed Martial Arts. You may have to vary your style and speed depending on what you see. Learning both helped me to default to one or the other, or hybridize if needed. RC became a cinch.

$.02

I just finished MLSAT's RC guide a week or so ago. I've started "drilling" RC passages from Cambridge LSAT's 1-38 RC compilation. I'm using a mixed martial arts method as well--based largely off MLSAT strategies & Voyager's suggestions. The key is that you have to find out what works for you, which you can only do through drilling RC passages. I think MLSAT RC & Voyager are an excellent start, but from there you'll have to find your own methods. It's my theory that the reason a lot of people have such trouble with RC is because they don't spend enough time drilling RC, making an effort to develop their own techniques.

GROUPEDbooks.com

Postby GROUPEDbooks.com » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:36 am

JD2014 wrote:Most people consider the reading comp bible to be overrated, but at -10, it can't hurt. The grouped by reading comp passage book is also very useful, especially if it's a certain type of passage that is killing you (e.g. science or humanities).

http://www.amazon.com/PowerScore-LSAT-R ... 816&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Grouped-Passage-T ... 837&sr=8-1

The PDF version on our website costs $10 less than the price on Amazon in the link above.

--LinkRemoved--

Hunterrhoid

Postby Hunterrhoid » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:47 pm

GoldenGloves wrote:
I just finished MLSAT's RC guide a week or so ago. I've started "drilling" RC passages from Cambridge LSAT's 1-38 RC compilation. I'm using a mixed martial arts method as well--based largely off MLSAT strategies & Voyager's suggestions. The key is that you have to find out what works for you, which you can only do through drilling RC passages. I think MLSAT RC & Voyager are an excellent start, but from there you'll have to find your own methods. It's my theory that the reason a lot of people have such trouble with RC is because they don't spend enough time drilling RC, making an effort to develop their own techniques.

This is especially true as you get more experience with the passages, and the more detail oriented RC questions that come up in the 40s and up. Once you have a style that is adaptable to different passages, it has to adapt to and anticipate questions. You should know from the jump that in a Comparative Reading passage, points of subtle agreement and disagreement between the two authors will most certainly be tested, and should be noted before you read the first question.

soj

Postby soj » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:01 pm

Hunterrhoid wrote:
GoldenGloves wrote:

This is especially true as you get more experience with the passages, and the more detail oriented RC questions that come up in the 40s and up. Once you have a style that is adaptable to different passages, it has to adapt to and anticipate questions. You should know from the jump that in a Comparative Reading passage, points of subtle agreement and disagreement between the two authors will most certainly be tested, and should be noted before you read the first question.

+ a million to both

RC is my worst section by far but I did improve near the end of my prep period, and I think I managed to survive June's infamous RC section (famous last words). What I realized more than anything else about RC is that RC isn't like LG and (to a lesser extent) LR for which you can succeed by simply copying PS's methods. You have to take in all the expert advice and figure out something that works for you. When marking up (or not marking up) an RC passage, you should be focusing on comprehension, not marking something just because it falls under Voyager's (or RCB's or Manhattan's or someone else's) list of things to mark up.

For the same reason, reading about different RC strategies never hurts the way reading about different LG strategies might by confusing you. You should experiment with and adopt parts of different methods to create one that's just right for you, so as long as it's not shitty (idk but I might not trust prep books published by some companies), it can never hurt to read others' advice.

MCockerill08

Postby MCockerill08 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:55 pm

I bought the RC Bible and did not have a good experience with it -- unlike games and LR, reading strikes my eye as a highly individuated section. Trite though it might be to say, explore with a lot of techniques and do whatever works for you personally.

FantasticMrFox

Postby FantasticMrFox » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:22 pm

MCockerill08 wrote:I bought the RC Bible and did not have a good experience with it -- unlike games and LR, reading strikes my eye as a highly individuated section. Trite though it might be to say, explore with a lot of techniques and do whatever works for you personally.

I think this is the right answer but at -10, maybe these prep books will give you some kind of guidelines on reading and identifying important parts of the passage.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”