Flunked June LSAT;Should I seek accom. or stick with 162?

DPR

Flunked June LSAT;Should I seek accom. or stick with 162?

Postby DPR » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:45 pm

I have narcolepsy, and was too stubborn to seek an accommodation. In December I scored a 162 which was pretty disappointing. I took an online power score course which was helpful and I was scoring 170+ on almost every practice test that I took.Needless to say, 8:30 am's a terrible start time for a narcoleptic. I got like 10 wrong on the first section and did progressively better on each section. I think I got 1 or 2 wrong on the last section. It's hard to describe what it's like taking the LSAT with narcolepsy.

This time around I thought I could do better. Going into the test I felt very optimistic, because I scored a 178 on my last practice test. Monday, the first two sections went excellent. Logic games and then logical reasoning. I'm pretty sure I got every problem right on logic games and finished in about 32 minutes. The second section I think I did very well. There were only a couple of problems that worried me a bit.

The third section however, which was logic games (and the one that counted) was a disaster. In the middle of setting up the first game the sleep attacks started to poor on. The rest of that section's a blur. I think I made it through the first game with great difficulty; if I was giving a basic 9th grade algebra 1 quiz in this state I think I would've flunked. I think I tried to do second game, fell into multiple "micro sleeps", and just made barely educated guesses on game problems, and just gave up and randomly filled in games 3 and 4 without trying any problems. I don't think I would've gotten more correct if I actually tried to complete the problem, so I figured I should try and rest my mind and if that was just the experimental I would still be on pace for a great score.

Anyways, the reading comp and logical reasoning sections were a disaster. My self imposed break + the official break+ 20 more more milligrams of adderall did nothing to lift myself out of the state I was in. I could barely keep my eyes awake and although I do not have cataplexy, I felt like I was going to collapse from exhaustion. I knew that even if the first logic games counted, and if I did as good on it and the first logical reasoning as I though, there was still no way I did better than a 162. I filled in the part of the answer sheet to cancel my score, and brough my stuff up to the main proctors and told them I was not feeling well and had to leave.

Anyways sorry to bore you with all the details; I think I'm insecure about having narcolepsy, since I was not diagnosed until 18. I was always thought of by others as being lazy prior to my diagnosis and I've always bought into it. I always seem to feel that if I try to get an accommodation or mentbring it up that others will think I'm just using it as a crutch, which is why I feel like whenever I bring it up (which is ultra rare as an undergrad I never registered with my schools disabilities office) I have to really qualify how it affects me. Anyways I'm wondering if I should just stick with a 162 or try and take it in October?

This test has made me feel better about my 162. I don't think I could do much better under normal testing conditions. The only way I will take it again is if I can get an accommodation, and I've how difficult that can be. Am I better off sending in my apps the first day the school's I want to apply to are accepting applications, or should I take it in October if I get accommodations that I think will "level the playing field" for me?

Narcolepsy can be pretty unpredictable, so if they would allow me to have accommodations that would even be helpful. I don't get sleep attacks where I just fall over, like the narcoleptic in Deuce Bigalow. When I get sleep attacks I just get really sleep to the point where if I'm stationary unless I fight really hard to stay awake, I might dose off shortly; usually microsleeps that last for just seconds and occur intermittently. They occur randomly, so if I were to be allowed lets say 2 breaks- one after the second, one of the 4th, that might be bad if I'm breaking when my energy level is up. Would they allow me to have breaks as needed?

Anyways sorry for blabbing on and if anyone read this entire post it was very nice of you or if not I would still appreciate to hear what you think :) Thanks!

Edit: I should add that my gpa was somewhere between 3.43-3.46 and I plan on applying to UPenn (i'm sure with a 162 or even a better score it would take a miracle), Temple (given the likely event that I don't get accepted to UPenn, I definitely want to go to Temple), Drexel, Villanova, Widener, Penn State, and Rutgers-Camden.

lakers3peat

Re: Flunked June LSAT;Should I seek accom. or stick with 162?

Postby lakers3peat » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:00 pm

wait for your score so you can see how you did and take adderall before the october exam. But mind you that october will be earlier in the morning, Idk how that affects you but I do know that amphetamine is commonly used to treat sleep disorders.

brose

Postby brose » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:02 pm

How will this affect your career is what I'm really wondering.

DPR

Postby DPR » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:06 pm

I won't be getting my score. I cancelled it already. I think it was really really bad. I took 250mg of nuvigil, 20mg of adderall before and 20mg during the break and it wasn't enough; some says with narcolepsy the stimulants arent enough.... but its scary to think what I'd be like without them.

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:10 pm

I would try to get some accommodation for October. You clearly have the abilities to be in the 99th percentile. Good luck!

DPR

Postby DPR » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:15 pm

brose wrote:How will this affect your career is what I'm really wondering.

yeah me too. I'm fairly worried, but I think I'll be okay. I workout almost everyday, am very strict with my diet and supplementation which helps. My symptoms day to day are difficult but manageable. I don't have aspirations for working in a top law firm or anything like that. I don't even think I'll ever want to be a working lawyer. Although I think it's to early for me to really know what I will end up pursuing, eventually going into academia, popular writing, or something along those lines seems very appealing. I love reading history, legal theory, political theory, etc.

BrianOz1

Postby BrianOz1 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:31 pm

Oh the irony of a narcoleptic enjoying reading something that would puts to sleep...go for the accommodations.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:57 pm

DPR wrote:I don't even think I'll ever want to be a working lawyer.

Then you should seriously reconsider law school because that is what the vast majority of people with JDs do.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:00 pm

bk1 wrote:
DPR wrote:I don't even think I'll ever want to be a working lawyer.

Then you should seriously reconsider law school because that is what the vast majority of people with JDs do.

CHECK YOU EMPLOYMENT STATISTICS!

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:07 pm

Get accommodations. Yes, law schools see that... but they will also see that you got a 163 (a great score regardless) without the accommodations. Write an addendum about the narcolepsy, and how the 163 you got should have been higher, as evidenced by how you did with appropriate accommodations (this obviously explains away the cancelled score as well).

lakers3peat

Postby lakers3peat » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:15 pm

correct me if i'm wrong, but I heard from a previous poster that if you've taken the LSAT without accommodations, it's hard or virtually impossible to get accommodations for a future testing.

DPR

Postby DPR » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:32 pm

yeah I just read that if you get like a 150 or above without it its extremely difficult to get an accommodation.

DPR

Postby DPR » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:09 pm

If I don't take it again, what do you all think the odds are that I will be able to get into temple. My GPA's 3.4 something, I got a 162, and I'm a member of the political science honor society.

pinkcamellia

Postby pinkcamellia » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:14 pm

DPR wrote:If I don't take it again, what do you all think the odds are that I will be able to get into temple. My GPA's 3.4 something, I got a 162, and I'm a member of the political science honor society.

http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/

plug your numbers in and it'll predict whether or not you'll get into temple.

McFly

Postby McFly » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:27 pm

"Gnarly, radical, on the block I'm magical
See me at your college campus baggie full of Adderall"

how is it that you almost always PT around 170+? is it because you start later in the day? do anything different as far as your preparation/medication? the june test would have been your best bet, like you said the october 8:30am probably isn't great.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”