Down with Kate Chopin.

Tainted_Praise

Re: Down with Kate Chopin.

Postby Tainted_Praise » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:28 pm

I liked Kate Chopin AND the Alaskan traditions passage... But the comparative passage was a complete bore... I don't even remember what it was about.. And the damn sea passage had me lost.

Strange

Postby Strange » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:29 pm

Comparative passage was straightforward, but since it was last you may not have had enough time to do it properly if you got bogged down in the more complex Chopin/ocean floor passages. I did the comparative passage third and then the ocean floor so I didn't run into that problem.

Tainted_Praise

Postby Tainted_Praise » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:30 pm

Strange wrote:Comparative passage was straightforward, but since it was last you may not have had enough time to do it properly if you got bogged down in the more complex Chopin/ocean floor passages. I did the comparative passage third and then the ocean floor so I didn't run into that problem.

Smart smart man.

RobMD

Postby RobMD » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:32 pm

Just my luck. I wrote a 15 page paper on Kate Chopin in undergrad, but I postponed until October.

The one time in my life that could have been of use...

Strange

Postby Strange » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:35 pm

Tainted_Praise wrote:
Strange wrote:Comparative passage was straightforward, but since it was last you may not have had enough time to do it properly if you got bogged down in the more complex Chopin/ocean floor passages. I did the comparative passage third and then the ocean floor so I didn't run into that problem.

Smart smart man.

Not really, I did the CP out of order because in the past those tend to stress me out more. I had no idea the 3rd passage would be such a pain in the ass and still ended up guessing on three of the questions. Still, I think if I had done it in order it would have been worse - I would still have ended up guessing on 2-3 of the ocean floor questions and then not had enough time for the CP.

leche

Postby leche » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:10 pm

I don't know why I decided to do the ocean floor one second. It was such a bad decision. I got totally flustered with it and could literally feel my heart rate increasing as I panicked through the rest of the section!

I only left like 3 or 4 questions circled (my sign to go back and double check if I have time) - caught one mistake and changed it - but I KNOW some of the ones I didn't circle have to be wrong. That's just always how it works for me.

FarewellLsat

Postby FarewellLsat » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:51 am

Poor Kate Chopin came out of this with a bad reputation. Magnetic stripes or whatever deserves the full fury of a literal fiery hell though.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:06 pm

RobMD wrote:Just my luck. I wrote a 15 page paper on Kate Chopin in undergrad, but I postponed until October.

I think they do a pretty decent job of making sure the questions are not easier if you have previous knowledge in the topic.

With music as my 2nd major, I always faceplanted on the music passages trying to bring outside info in. Who knows, it may have been for the best.

davesmystery

Postby davesmystery » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:21 pm

I actually wound up doing them consecutively. I found the comparative reading was very straightforward as others have said and I feel like I may have aced that passage. I felt like the rest were so bad because of all of those direct support questions (especially because there were so many where you had to combine multiple places in the passage for the answer). That's what really killed my timing and made me so unsure of my score.

marcdagr8

Postby marcdagr8 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:03 pm

i have been consistant on my RC of -0 to -4 so i never go out of order. why go out of order when i am going for a -0?

kate screwed me. tougher than any literary passage i remember from any PT and when i looked up 15 min had gone by.

ocean floors werent bad, but my prior knowledge actually tripped me up on a question or two. i know on one i had eleminiated all answers and had to reverifiy what was in the passage vs in my head.

the traditions one seemed easy if i had the full 8:45 to verify the answers, but i didnt have that luxury, same story for the comparative one on the historians.

besides that, screw historians. crappy major for people who cant think of anything better but like the history channel ;)

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:11 pm

I was actually very surprised to come back and find out everyone was freaking about RC and Chopin in particular. I agree with consensus on this thread that oceanography was more difficult. I remember blazing through Alaska, spending a little more time on Chopin but not thinking it was overly difficult, doing oceanography and skipping 2 middle
questions because they asked about very dense sections of text, jumping to comp reading and blazing through that, and then going back to those 2 oceanography questions. I actually felt the whole thing was a bit anti-climactic since I'd been using the most recent PT's as practice in the weeks prior. I dunno. I'm glad I'm not the only one who was confused by the RC outcry!

The comp passage was definitely strategically placed because that should've been an easy 5 or 6 points (can't remember how many questions it had now) but if you were panicking it could've easily felt more difficult than it was!

Neidermeyer519

Postby Neidermeyer519 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:39 pm

marcdagr8 wrote:i have been consistant on my RC of -0 to -4 so i never go out of order. why go out of order when i am going for a -0?

kate screwed me. tougher than any literary passage i remember from any PT and when i looked up 15 min had gone by.

ocean floors werent bad, but my prior knowledge actually tripped me up on a question or two. i know on one i had eleminiated all answers and had to reverifiy what was in the passage vs in my head.

the traditions one seemed easy if i had the full 8:45 to verify the answers, but i didnt have that luxury, same story for the comparative one on the historians.

besides that, screw historians. crappy major for people who cant think of anything better but like the history channel ;)

Funny thing is, how much of the History Chanel is even about history anymore? lol. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy some of their shows from time to time, but their programming selection has definitely changed.

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:31 pm

Oddly enough, I had zero problem with the oceans passage--aside from it taking longer than I'd like, and didn't hate Kate all that much. But I feel like I got reamed on Indian otters and historians...but only time will tell. I'm sure I bombed 'em all.

Bittner1989

Postby Bittner1989 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:59 am

marcdagr8

Postby marcdagr8 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:17 am

Neidermeyer519 wrote:
Funny thing is, how much of the History Chanel is even about history anymore? lol. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy some of their shows from time to time, but their programming selection has definitely changed.

I wouldn't known, I never watch it. The only time that I care about history is when there is a full length movie about it!

Also did you hear, president Lincoln got shot!

citykitty

Postby citykitty » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:40 pm

incompetentia wrote:
RobMD wrote:Just my luck. I wrote a 15 page paper on Kate Chopin in undergrad, but I postponed until October.

I think they do a pretty decent job of making sure the questions are not easier if you have previous knowledge in the topic.

With music as my 2nd major, I always faceplanted on the music passages trying to bring outside info in. Who knows, it may have been for the best.

I think knowledge can help in that one isn't as likely to get bogged down in unfamiliar vocabulary and phrasing, and it becomes easier to process what the passage is saying. Not that you're more likely to know the answers to the questions however without reading. It still tests reading comp.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:50 pm

Yeah, you really have to be aware of the limitations of what you can use of what you know already about a topic.

Clint Eastwood

Postby Clint Eastwood » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:08 pm

incompetentia wrote:

I don't know, every time they have an economics or psychology question they seem to click better for me. I think it's more just me not letting terminology obfuscate the question design.

soj

Postby soj » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:21 pm

Clint Eastwood wrote:I don't know, every time they have an economics or psychology question they seem to click better for me. I think it's more just me not letting terminology obfuscate the question design.

Agree about econ, not about psyc. I majored in a social science and took lots of economics and psychology classes, and while I think I benefited from already knowing all the jargon in econ passages, psychology passages were practically guaranteed to confuse me because psychology RC passages tend to be general and try to apply psychological concepts to more real-life situations than I'm comfortable with based on my classes, which focused on empirical results and were conservative when applying theories to and drawing conclusions about real-life situations. Also, most modern research psychologists treat psychoanalysis as a joke, so passages about psychoanalysis are annoying.

</3 Bettelheim's psychoanalysis of fairy tales
<///3 groupthink and group cohesion

Ssushi

Postby Ssushi » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:31 pm

Neidermeyer519 wrote:
marcdagr8 wrote:i have been consistant on my RC of -0 to -4 so i never go out of order. why go out of order when i am going for a -0?

Yea it's all these silly shows where they follow a group of assholes working in some random outdoor job. I miss the days when it was the Hitler-Vietnam channel.

ThomasMN

Postby ThomasMN » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:46 pm

Ssushi wrote:
Neidermeyer519 wrote:

Yea it's all these silly shows where they follow a group of assholes working in some random outdoor job. I miss the days when it was the Hitler-Vietnam channel.

I could never really get into the History Channel. Probably the fact that I had gotten beyond the history of WWII and Vietnam when I was in fifth grade. Plus, the history channel gets things twisted up all the time.

Ssushi

Postby Ssushi » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:52 pm

ThomasMN wrote:
Ssushi wrote:
Neidermeyer519 wrote:

I could never really get into the History Channel. Probably the fact that I had gotten beyond the history of WWII and Vietnam when I was in fifth grade. Plus, the history channel gets things twisted up all the time.

My favorite shows were the ones where they clearly ran out of actual history to do shows on so they would do stuff like secret japanese weapons of world war 2, and then make a whole show based on a bunch of rumors and the opinions of wackos.

I'm pretty sure thats what happened actually, they ran out of interesting history to cover and they decided it would be more profitable to do a show about UFO hunters as opposed to 16th century religious reform.

joebloe

Postby joebloe » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:11 pm

You'd think though, by then, they would have amassed a sufficient library of good programs on history that they could just re-run it forever. I dunno I guess TV doesn't work how I think it should.

marcdagr8

Postby marcdagr8 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:23 pm

I think the history channel should do a show on historians and explore their need to be neutral and objective or just objective.

AlabamaIceman

Postby AlabamaIceman » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:53 pm

marcdagr8 wrote:I think the history channel should do a show on historians and explore their need to be neutral and objective or just objective.

--ImageRemoved--

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”