Testmasters: Review Material Early?

Joeshan520

Testmasters: Review Material Early?

Postby Joeshan520 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:51 am

Hello All,

I'm enrolled in a Testmasters Course for July and I have all my materials including access to all the online materials. I want to start going through all the materials now before the class to get acquainted with the methods but I am afraid of running out of materials before the course ends. Advice?

baconpuffs

Re: Testmasters: Review Material Early?

Postby baconpuffs » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:17 am

I'd advise against it. The Testmasters books are short on explanations--they prefer the instructors to explain their methodology to you, rather than a book--and so many of the course sections are just a bunch of questions of a specific question type. If you MUST start doing work now, do some (but not all) of the questions on some of the homeworks. They generally give you 30-60 pages of homework in between classes, so you can afford to do some of them without running out of material.

Joeshan520

Postby Joeshan520 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:40 am

bump*

zozin

Postby zozin » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:49 am

There are 600+ LR questions in Volume IV. Those are extra questions that aren't assigned during the course, you can try doing some of those. Otherwise start taking really early PTs to gauge where you stand and determine weak areas.

ttf1867

Postby ttf1867 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:54 am

I just finished up Testmasters and I would definitely advise against any form of studying before the course begins. They really take a ground-up approach, and it sounds counterintuitive but it's really better if you have very little knowledge. I had done some PowerScore stuff before on my own, and having to unlearn those habits was kind of brutal. If you want to learn about the form of the test and different question types, that'd probably be okay and give you a little head start -- but definitely don't try any questions/strategies on your own. Good luck with the class -- I had an awesome experience!

Also - no answers or materials are actually posted until you finish each lesson (all your links will be dead links). So until you go to class, you shouldn't be able to even access answers/explanations to stuff in your books anyways. Just wait until July :)

mespinosa

Postby mespinosa » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:02 pm

I will also be taking the Testmasters July course and I recently purchased the LG and LR Bibles. Is it a bad idea to go through those books before I start the TM class? Are the methods taught in the bibles much different from TM approach? I do not want to create confusion and have to unlearn any stategies. What would you all suggest?

baconpuffs

Postby baconpuffs » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:06 pm

mespinosa wrote:I will also be taking the Testmasters July course and I recently purchased the LG and LR Bibles. Is it a bad idea to go through those books before I start the TM class? Are the methods taught in the bibles much different from TM approach? I do not want to create confusion and have to unlearn any stategies. What would you all suggest?

Sell them back.

SgtL

Postby SgtL » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:12 pm

mespinosa wrote:I will also be taking the Testmasters July course and I recently purchased the LG and LR Bibles. Is it a bad idea to go through those books before I start the TM class? Are the methods taught in the bibles much different from TM approach? I do not want to create confusion and have to unlearn any stategies. What would you all suggest?

Have to agree with TTF. Although methods are very similar, you have to determine which approach you will use. Last thing you want to do is determine which diagramming method you'll go with when you take the real deal. The basic principles are the same, but I would say definitely one or the other.

This is not to say that the Bibles aren't extremely helpful tools. For example, if I decide to retake in October, I will not be doing another prep course and just go through the bibles and PTs, probably the method stickied on this index.

The course itself is great, but unless some of this stuff comes natural to you, you're going to need to put a lot of time and effort into the course to maximize the potential benefits. Not really sure if I couldn't have achieved the same 21 point diag 1-4 jump using only PTs and the same dedication. So definitely take one for a test spin (a PT), may ultimately save you money. However, TM does offer EXCELLENT online services, and the score reports are super in-depth and provide everything you need for target practice. Pros and Cons. Don't preview materials though, no point unless you want to spend hours googling answers as TTF pointed out.

Side note: They take away your online access day of/after test. May call and whine so I can get my score reports freshly printed. Otherwise, good luck!

mespinosa

Postby mespinosa » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:25 pm

I definitely do not want to confuse different methods and strategies. Thanks for the input. I'm aware of all the hours and dedication outside of class necessary to achieve my maximum score. Since the TM class does not start until the middle of July, I wanted to start preparing now, if I choose not to use the Bibles what other methods of test prep would you all suggest prior to the beginning of the TM class?

Joeshan520

Postby Joeshan520 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:16 pm

I should note that I have access to all the online lessons as well which explain in depth all of the things taught in the actual course. Should I still hold off?

dasani13

Postby dasani13 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:42 pm

I tried taking TM last year but had to drop out because of personal reasons. They tell you not to look through the material, but I don't see how it can hurt you. I don't see a problem with just reading everything (not actually doing the exercises)-- you'll be a step ahead when they're reading in class. Plus, the TM books explain everything to you (in their own way) just like the Bibles do so if people read the Bibles on their own, you can definitely do it too.

However, I am doing the Bibles now and there are differences in their style of diagramming the games, so I wouldn't do the Games Bibles before the TM course, unless you wanna do it the Bible's way throuhout the TM, but that'd be a mess.

The LR Bible is very similar to TM's style so maybe if you studied that one before the course it'd be a good idea, in my opinion.

pandabear

Postby pandabear » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:46 pm

hm. i just finished TM and i also read the LG bible and didn't really notice any significant differences in diagramming between the two

dasani13

Postby dasani13 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:17 pm

I noticed some difference in the ways they diagram the rules and they make us do practice drills using their symbols (obviously). My TM books are from last year though and they told me this year's books are different so maybe they changed..

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:48 pm

It sounds like you really want to do some practice on your own. As long as you don't use really crappy materials (LSAT For Dummies, old Kaplan books with made up questions, etc.) you really can't do any harm to yourself. Try getting some of the older practice tests, take one or two under timed or semi-timed circumstances. If you're scoring above a 155 or so, you may be able to figure out some or most of the LR by yourself and when class time comes around you'll be ready to refine your technique. I would also maybe concentrate on doing some RC, because that is the part of the test that most people find hardest/most boring to study, they often neglect it. You could get a head start, doing a passage or two a day, which wouldn't really disrupt your classes, especially if you do older prep tests.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”