HYS - Retake or Cancel?

countercouper

HYS - Retake or Cancel?

Postby countercouper » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:19 am

I royally f-cked up my diagram for the third LG (cars) today. What's crazy is I actually remembered what the rules of the game were in bed just now (I couldn't sleep), got up, and diagrammed the setup flawlessly in three minutes.

My GPA's a 3.79, so I basically needed a 175+ today to have any shot at HYS at all. I quit my job four months ago to study for this test and I've taken every published PT, so I'm not even sure how I'll be able to study for the October exam if I cancel/have to retake. It sucks to be in this position right now after working so hard and doing so well on PTs. I feel like shit right now. I should've killed the test today: I didn't think RC was as bad as everyone's made it out to be, and both LR sections were a cakewalk.

So how averse to retakes are HYS exactly? Part of me keeps thinking maybe I'll luck out and miss 0 on LR, 2 on RC, 4 on LG and still hit that 175. I definitely remember being surprised by how well I did on some of my practice tests. But on the other hand I can't remember the last time I had to guess on a LG question.

If you were in my shoes, what would you do: cancel and risk cancelling a 175 or stay and risk having a 168-174 show up on your HYS app?

99.9luft

Re: HYS - Retake or Cancel?

Postby 99.9luft » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:25 am

if you only want to go to HYS - cancel.

if you can be happy at other schools - keep the score.

notanumber

Postby notanumber » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:27 am

Don't cancel.

You probably did fine. I thought that I'd screwed up my test and entertained the idea of canceling, but realized that there was a hell of a lot more to lose than there was to gain. I ended up with a pretty decent score.

Go to bed and chill out.

countercouper

Postby countercouper » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:32 am

notanumber, what made you think you screwed up? Was there anything in particular or did it pretty much feel like just another PT? I'm curious because I think I could really benefit from your advice. Thanks.

notanumber

Postby notanumber » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:51 am

Two things spooked me.

I almost ran out of time on RC, I was literally bubbling in my last answer as time was called. That had never happened to me in practice tests (usually finished with 5 or so min to spare) and knowing that time was running out caused me to freak out and skim things on that final passage. I wasn't at all confident with my answers.

With the LG, I'd fucked up one set of questions and had to go back an fix them (ignored a rule), I was running out of time, so I just skimmed all the previous diagrams I'd made and cursorily checked to see if the rule change would change the results for any of the questions. I found two questions where it did, and was still looking when they called time. LG was always my weakest section so it didn't surprise me as much but it did make me briefly entertain the idea of canceling.

I was getting 177-180 on my practice tests right before the real thing, but I'd always been fairly confident finishing sections (LR and RC usually with enough time to double-check almost all of my answers) and felt like I'd mastered the test. I left the test room feeling like it had owned me and was expecting a 174ish. It also didn't help that I took the test jet-lagged in a city that I'd never been to that I was visiting for a conference.

Unless you skipped several questions, you really should wait it out and get your result. The worst case scenario is that you get a fantastic score that isn't quite what you want/need and you retake in a couple of months. YHS all accept plenty of people who have retaken the test.

soj

Postby soj » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:23 am

notanumber, you are so wise!

Are you attending YLS next year, or did you defer again? If the latter, I really hope to join you, but that really depends on whether I did well yesterday.

gggrra

Postby gggrra » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:31 am

notanumber wrote:Two things spooked me.

I almost ran out of time on RC, I was literally bubbling in my last answer as time was called. That had never happened to me in practice tests (usually finished with 5 or so min to spare) and knowing that time was running out caused me to freak out and skim things on that final passage. I wasn't at all confident with my answers.

With the LG, I'd fucked up one set of questions and had to go back an fix them (ignored a rule), I was running out of time, so I just skimmed all the previous diagrams I'd made and cursorily checked to see if the rule change would change the results for any of the questions. I found two questions where it did, and was still looking when they called time. LG was always my weakest section so it didn't surprise me as much but it did make me briefly entertain the idea of canceling.

I was getting 177-180 on my practice tests right before the real thing, but I'd always been fairly confident finishing sections (LR and RC usually with enough time to double-check almost all of my answers) and felt like I'd mastered the test. I left the test room feeling like it had owned me and was expecting a 174ish. It also didn't help that I took the test jet-lagged in a city that I'd never been to that I was visiting for a conference.

Unless you skipped several questions, you really should wait it out and get your result. The worst case scenario is that you get a fantastic score that isn't quite what you want/need and you retake in a couple of months. YHS all accept plenty of people who have retaken the test.

This story helped calm me a little. RC is not my strongest, but this one was especially bad. Recently (past 2 months), I haven't miss more than 4 on RC, usually missing about 1-3. However, I feel like I could've missed anywhere from 2-6 on this one... I feel pretty good about the other sections though, so probably will wait it out. Your score was indeed "pretty decent" :D

countercouper

Postby countercouper » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:28 pm

notanumber - Thanks. This was super helpful.

brownpride

Postby brownpride » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:17 pm

I have a similar dilemma, and I'd like some thoughts too. HY is my goal - I wouldn't be happy with anything less - and I needed a pretty good score on this test. On PTs I was scoring 170-175, and I was aiming for at least a 172 on the exam, but on yesterday's RC I was slower than usual and I'm really not confident for it. I didn't have to completely guess on anything but there were more than a few answers chosen based only on quick rushes through the passage to eliminate answers and choose the best. I usually hit 3-5 wrong with RC, but yesterday's was definitely worse, and while I feel like the rest of the exam was fine I need at the ABSOLUTE minimum a 170. My GPA is 4.18, so I don't need as high as the OP, but I still don't know whether to cancel or not. Thoughts?

soj

Postby soj » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:21 pm

brownpride wrote:I have a similar dilemma, and I'd like some thoughts too. HY is my goal - I wouldn't be happy with anything less - and I needed a pretty good score on this test. On PTs I was scoring 170-175, and I was aiming for at least a 172 on the exam, but on yesterday's RC I was slower than usual and I'm really not confident for it. I didn't have to completely guess on anything but there were more than a few answers chosen based only on quick rushes through the passage to eliminate answers and choose the best. I usually hit 3-5 wrong with RC, but yesterday's was definitely worse, and while I feel like the rest of the exam was fine I need at the ABSOLUTE minimum a 170. My GPA is 4.18, so I don't need as high as the OP, but I still don't know whether to cancel or not. Thoughts?

It depends on how you did in the other sections. If that and a few other mistakes are all you're worried about, you should absolutely not cancel.

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:23 pm

Last edited by sarahlawg on Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brownpride

Postby brownpride » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:29 pm

Hmm on the PTs I was typically getting 2-3 wrong per LR section, 3-5 wrong in RC, and 0 wrong in LG with the occasional 1. If I feel like I got (optimistically) 5 wrong on the other sections in total, you'd suggest I keep it?

soj

Postby soj » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:32 pm

Yes. For what it's worth, my PT scores were very similar to yours (down to each section). For me, RC and (to a lesser extent) LR are unpredictable. How I feel about it afterwards is only a weak indicator of how I actually did. It's quite possible that you're being too pessimistic, and combined with a generous curve (fingers crossed), you're definitely not out of the running for a 173+. Sure, it's possible you got high 160s, but that's nothing a solid retake can't overcome, even at HY. You'll probably have the highest GPA wherever you go, and that's gotta count for something, too.
Last edited by soj on Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:33 pm

agree with soj

brownpride

Postby brownpride » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:36 pm

Thanks guys! BTW, secondary question. From what I gather, financial aid is primarily dependent on LSAT scores right? Will the GPA do much for me in that area?

soj

Postby soj » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:37 pm

brownpride wrote:Thanks guys! BTW, secondary question. From what I gather, financial aid is primarily dependent on LSAT scores right? Will the GPA do much for me in that area?

At HY, financial aid depends neither on the LSAT nor on the GPA, only on demonstrated financial need post-acceptance.

As for CCN and below, I think it's a combination of LSAT and GPA, but mostly LSAT.

notanumber

Postby notanumber » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:59 pm

soj wrote:notanumber, you are so wise!

Are you attending YLS next year, or did you defer again? If the latter, I really hope to join you, but that really depends on whether I did well yesterday.

Yeah, I'll be at Yale next year. It looks like an interesting place that fits what I want out of law school.

Good luck to all you LSAT waiters. I remember how stressful it was, but you're all on top of your game (I waited until the December test) and things should work out.

Verity

Postby Verity » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:05 pm

notanumber wrote:Don't cancel.

You probably did fine. I thought that I'd screwed up my test and entertained the idea of canceling, but realized that there was a hell of a lot more to lose than there was to gain. I ended up with a pretty decent score.

Go to bed and chill out.

OP's GPA is low for HYS. Having a shit score as opposed to a cancel is much worse in this case.

OP, if you want to roll the dice, be my guest. But if you were that rattled, I'd say its not worth it.

Besides, there are other fine schools beyond HYS.

And:

countercouper wrote:I quit my job four months ago to study for this test and I've taken every published PT, so I'm not even sure how I'll be able to study for the October exam if I cancel/have to retake.

Maybe just work on nerves and timing. Actually, you should take that time to relax, tone down the studying. Let your mind subconsciously absorb the material, so that it becomes second-nature. You might have burned yourself out with all that intense studying. The time could be beneficial.

whipy

Postby whipy » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:19 am

countercouper wrote:I royally f-cked up my diagram for the third LG (cars) today. What's crazy is I actually remembered what the rules of the game were in bed just now (I couldn't sleep), got up, and diagrammed the setup flawlessly in three minutes.

My GPA's a 3.79, so I basically needed a 175+ today to have any shot at HYS at all. I quit my job four months ago to study for this test and I've taken every published PT, so I'm not even sure how I'll be able to study for the October exam if I cancel/have to retake. It sucks to be in this position right now after working so hard and doing so well on PTs. I feel like shit right now. I should've killed the test today: I didn't think RC was as bad as everyone's made it out to be, and both LR sections were a cakewalk.

So how averse to retakes are HYS exactly? Part of me keeps thinking maybe I'll luck out and miss 0 on LR, 2 on RC, 4 on LG and still hit that 175. I definitely remember being surprised by how well I did on some of my practice tests. But on the other hand I can't remember the last time I had to guess on a LG question.

If you were in my shoes, what would you do: cancel and risk cancelling a 175 or stay and risk having a 168-174 show up on your HYS app?

Spoke to H admissions today. They DO average, but also consider both scores if you have two. If you cancel or get a low score and then get a higher score on retake you should include an explanation, especially for a cancelled score.

Stanford said that they do NOT average, but take the higher score.

Both said that they 'often' see multiple scores on apps

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”