Hating myself right now

RaleighStClair

Hating myself right now

Postby RaleighStClair » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:54 am

I can't stop thinking about this and I need some level of advice (beyond my sister and parents who don't understand the specifics of the LSAT). Today was my first official test, and I'm planning on applying to schools this fall.

I had LG(e) LR LG, break, RC LR

It did not go well. From what I can even remember, I messed up Chopin, underwater geology, and the balls game. My LR sections...I just couldn't focus and ended up guessing on 4 on the first and 5 on the second. I figure I got -15 on the LR's total, -10 on RC, and -5 on LG -- making for a 71 raw. Obviously it's hard to say, but I'm guessing this is a somewhat generous estimate.

Does anyone think the curve on this test will be generous enough to put a 71 up to a 160? I told myself before this test if I didn't get a 160 I would re-take in October. I think i would rather cancel than have a mid 150s score show up. What do ya'll think?

RaleighStClair

Re: Hating myself right now

Postby RaleighStClair » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:08 am

For whatever it's worth, my last 3 PT's, of 7 total, were between 157 and 160. Maybe I just didn't prep enough. Ugh.......

LSATPREPPER

Postby LSATPREPPER » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:10 am

Don't beat yourself up to much I know the feeling. About 2 hours or so ago I was pretty devastated.

As far as simple facts, a 71 raw score has never been a 160 in the recent history of the test. 72 was a 160 in June 2010 and December 2010.
http://powerscore.com/lsat/help/correct_targeted.cfm

mchuynh

Postby mchuynh » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:18 am

no need to hate yourself...

You have 6 business days. Canceling once won't hurt you... If you cancel twice, they expect you to provide them with some sort of explanation.
Take a few days to think about it first before you do anything..

Good luck!

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:35 am

Thanks for the responses guys, I really appreciate it!

I'm sure there's plenty of people out there with this same predicament, but I can't seem to find one to draw reference from on this forum...Say I got a 155-157, and didn't cancel. Do you think that score, coupled with a higher October score, would look worse or better than a cancelled June score?

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:39 am

For me, my worry with canceling this one is if I get sick or something in October it could totally screw me. The real RC was a killer (the experimental was great).... but I want to have a score there just in case.

warandpeace

Postby warandpeace » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:45 am

definitely sleep on it, browse the forums for a bit, and go with your gut feeling. you still have time. but if i were you, and i knew i could improve to a 170 increase, i'd cancel and retake! worth the effort for the score in the end. but goodluck! things will look better tomorrow.

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:47 am

weathercoins wrote:For me, my worry with canceling this one is if I get sick or something in October it could totally screw me. The real RC was a killer (the experimental was great).... but I want to have a score there just in case.

Agreed...I think my score for this one could (probably) get me into my backup and maybe a couple more. But if I cancel it and somehow something goes wrong in October I'll be essentially without an LSAT score.

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:20 am

warandpeace wrote:definitely sleep on it, browse the forums for a bit, and go with your gut feeling. you still have time. but if i were you, and i knew i could improve to a 170 increase, i'd cancel and retake! worth the effort for the score in the end. but goodluck! things will look better tomorrow.

I've got some serious RC and LR drilling to do, as well as prepping myself for the next gameday situation. But all in all, this seems like the best option. Thanks everyone for your responses, and I'm gonna dig myself out of this, even if it means not having an ideal summer :/

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:24 am

1. sleep on it
2. cancel and retake

I'm retaking (was PTing in the low 170s consistently). Good luck!

john1990

Postby john1990 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:34 am

im in the same boat, i was not on my A game and will probably be around a 160 instead of my goal of 168. Im planning on keeping the test though because id rather have one in the bank and i dont think it hurts to much to have a 161 on your record.

gatorlaw

Postby gatorlaw » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:06 pm

Hey! I know how you feel, I was PTing around the high 160's and now I'm sitting here HOPING I will somehow pull anything over a 160...

BUT it was my first LSAT ( I'm guessing yours as well) and I wouldn't want to cancel the first one because I was so anxious/ nervous that I may not be correctly gauging exactly how I did. We could be pleasantly surprised come June 29th.

Also, I know you don't want to think of this...but what if a scenario like yesterday's repeats itself in October? You'll have a drop and a mid 150's score. I say keep it, there is a lot of uncertainty about yesterday's LSAT, especially surrounding the killer RC section...we may get lucky enough with a decent curve.

If it helps at all, my threshold score for this is a 160 as well, I feel just as terrible about the test but I'm not canceling. I'm hoping for the best, and if we must retake...well that wouldn't be the end of the world.

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:01 pm

john1990 wrote:im in the same boat, i was not on my A game and will probably be around a 160 instead of my goal of 168. Im planning on keeping the test though because id rather have one in the bank and i dont think it hurts to much to have a 161 on your record.

gatorlaw wrote:Hey! I know how you feel, I was PTing around the high 160's and now I'm sitting here HOPING I will somehow pull anything over a 160...

BUT it was my first LSAT ( I'm guessing yours as well) and I wouldn't want to cancel the first one because I was so anxious/ nervous that I may not be correctly gauging exactly how I did. We could be pleasantly surprised come June 29th.

Also, I know you don't want to think of this...but what if a scenario like yesterday's repeats itself in October? You'll have a drop and a mid 150's score. I say keep it, there is a lot of uncertainty about yesterday's LSAT, especially surrounding the killer RC section...we may get lucky enough with a decent curve.

If it helps at all, my threshold score for this is a 160 as well, I feel just as terrible about the test but I'm not canceling. I'm hoping for the best, and if we must retake...well that wouldn't be the end of the world.

Ahhhh I know. But I can realistically say that with the amount of questions that I blindly guessed on, I know I didn't break 160. I never guess on that many...
But having no LSAT score on the books is almost scarier than having a 154 or whatever. Am I crazy to be thinking that?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:35 pm

Typically, minus 24 equals a score of 160 on the June LSAT test.

pandabear

Postby pandabear » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:36 pm

RaleighStClair wrote:Ahhhh I know. But I can realistically say that with the amount of questions that I blindly guessed on, I know I didn't break 160. I never guess on that many...
But having no LSAT score on the books is almost scarier than having a 154 or whatever. Am I crazy to be thinking that?

i'm concerned about this as well because canceling means i'm putting all of my eggs into the october basket. but i'm willing to risk that because there's no chance in hell i got 165+ after yesterday's disaster

Alext182

Postby Alext182 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:08 pm

I'd suggest keeping in mind that if you guess several questions in a row (i.e. the last 5 LR or an entire reading/game passage) then overall you are likely to get a few right. For example, if you guessed an entire game and an entire reading passage which were each 6 questions it wouldn't be surprising to get two right (assuming you guessed the same letter). My score typically fluctuates due to this.

My point being, to be safe its a good idea to assume guesses were wrong to gauge your basement (lowest possible raw score) but its not unreasonable to expect to get 2 out of 12 guesses right. I don't know if that would significantly raise your score if you guessed a few right (I tend to score in the high 160's where each question is a point so my guesses create a wide range of scores depending on whether I get lucky).

Just thought i'd give my two cents. Good luck.

joebloe

Postby joebloe » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:09 pm

Alext182 wrote:I'd suggest keeping in mind that if you guess several questions in a row (i.e. the last 5 LR or an entire reading/game passage) then overall you are likely to get a few right. For example, if you guessed an entire game and an entire reading passage which were each 6 questions it wouldn't be surprising to get two right (assuming you guessed the same letter). My score typically fluctuates due to this.

My point being, to be safe its a good idea to assume guesses were wrong to gauge your basement (lowest possible raw score) but its not unreasonable to expect to get 2 out of 12 guesses right. I don't know if that would significantly raise your score if you guessed a few right (I tend to score in the high 160's where each question is a point so my guesses create a wide range of scores depending on whether I get lucky).

Just thought i'd give my two cents. Good luck.

I guessed one and a half games in Dec 10 LG (something like eight questions). Every. Single. One. Wrong.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”