Should I Cancel My Score? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
billharford

New

Should I Cancel My Score?

Post by billharford » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:15 pm

I've thoroughly explored google's archive on websites pertaining to this subject, but nonetheless would still like some input regarding my specific situation.

I took the test earlier today and breezed through the first three sections (LG, LR, LG). The last two, however, didn't go so well. My brain more or less failed me and I ended up completely guessing on 4-5 questions of section 4 (LR) with a lot of not so confident answers spread throughout. On my practice tests I normally completed the LR sections confidently with time to spare, as I did on the first LR section of today's test. The fifth section (RC) was also not so smooth. I'm normally somewhat slow on RC and typically have to guess on the last three questions or so. Today I didn't even have time to read the final passage and had to guess on the last 5-6 questions. Again, my confidence in the questions I did answer is not very strong; guessing on some as I went along.

The issue was not a perceived increase of difficulty compared to the practice tests, it just felt like my mind couldn't function properly. I would read a passage then almost immediately forget what the passage said. Analyzing the underlying structure was very difficult.

I fear my score will be in the fairly unacceptable range of 153-157 while my best PT score was around 170. So should I cancel my score? I studied for only about 3 weeks before the test, so retaking would grant me significantly more study time. My greatest concern is that the same thing might happen to me next time or I might come down with the flu or something the day before and get an even worse score.

Any help would be great. Also, sorry for the length of my post, I thought this info would be useful context.

FarewellLsat

New

Re: Should I Cancel My Score?

Post by FarewellLsat » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:18 pm

If you are applying to some place that averages scores, and you're pretty confident about your score range, then yes, cancel if you're normally a high 160, low 170 test taker.

But if you're just planning on applying to a place that looks at top score only then it won't matter as much. I would say give it a few days before you consider cancelling. Few people walk away from this test and feel like they did totally awesome.

haowu80s

New

Post by haowu80s » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:26 pm

FarewellLsat wrote:If you are applying to some place that averages scores, and you're pretty confident about your score range, then yes, cancel if you're normally a high 160, low 170 test taker.

But if you're just planning on applying to a place that looks at top score only then it won't matter as much. I would say give it a few days before you consider cancelling. Few people walk away from this test and feel like they did totally awesome.
Any top 10 law school looks at top score only?

thecynic69

Bronze

Post by thecynic69 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:33 pm

haowu80s wrote:
FarewellLsat wrote:If you are applying to some place that averages scores, and you're pretty confident about your score range, then yes, cancel if you're normally a high 160, low 170 test taker.

Something I think that is much up for debate, given the change in USNWR ranking procedure. In any event, law schools are said not to average, where there is a large gap between scores, especially if you have a good reason for the gap (for those without a strong sense of morals, read a good reason can be manufactured); in so far as op expects a big score bump come retake, I don't think s/he should expect a straight average.

That said, OP knows he did "less well" than he PTs. S/he can take in October, and again in December (if necessary). I cast a strong cancel/retake vote, absent more/conflicting info (i.e. previous test scores, etc.). When you know you dropped the ball, cancel/retake on a June administration is not the end of the world (plus, three weeks of studying suggests there is room for improvement)

haowu80s

New

Post by haowu80s » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:47 pm

thecynic69 wrote:
haowu80s wrote:

Something I think that is much up for debate, given the change in USNWR ranking procedure. In any event, law schools are said not to average, where there is a large gap between scores, especially if you have a good reason for the gap (for those without a strong sense of morals, read a good reason can be manufactured); in so far as op expects a big score bump come retake, I don't think s/he should expect a straight average.

That said, OP knows he did "less well" than he PTs. S/he can take in October, and again in December (if necessary). I cast a strong cancel/retake vote, absent more/conflicting info (i.e. previous test scores, etc.). When you know you dropped the ball, cancel/retake on a June administration is not the end of the world (plus, three weeks of studying suggests there is room for improvement)
I think if s/he would retake it anyway, better cancel it. Cuz mid 150s is of no help at all (assuming that s/he is looking a school with an average score of 170). It also depends on his or her plan for the coming fall semester. If h/she is aiming 170+, a month of prep for either recovering or upgrading lsat skill is a reasonable estimation.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”