The writing section was a killer. Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
minnbills

Gold

Re: The writing section was a killer.

Post by minnbills » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:23 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:
zozin wrote:How many prompts do they have for each LSAT? Mine was about a newspaper.
I got the newspaper also. That prompt sucked. I had to think fairly hard just to find some relevant to say - I never had that problem on PTs. The cops sound much better.
I had that one too. I droned on about innovation and quality. I'm sure some adcomm is going to get a good laugh over it.

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:25 pm

zozin wrote:
AntipodeanPhil wrote:I got the newspaper also. That prompt sucked. I had to think fairly hard just to find some relevant to say - I never had that problem on PTs. The cops sound much better.
Freelancing all the way. More diverse and innovative writing = Better, at least according to RC passages. :lol:
Hah - that was what I ended up writing! I even came up with (what I thought was) a clever example to illustrate the point. Whether it seems so clever when I reread it is another question.

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:27 pm

In before LSAC-bot. Or is the writing sample fair game? :P

sunrat

New

Post by sunrat » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:31 pm

In-house was the answer. If you said freelancing you won't get into law school.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:32 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:
zozin wrote:
AntipodeanPhil wrote:I got the newspaper also. That prompt sucked. I had to think fairly hard just to find some relevant to say - I never had that problem on PTs. The cops sound much better.
Freelancing all the way. More diverse and innovative writing = Better, at least according to RC passages. :lol:
Hah - that was what I ended up writing! I even came up with (what I thought was) a clever example to illustrate the point. Whether it seems so clever when I reread it is another question.
Psh I went in-house. Higher turnover would lead to lower quality duh.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:36 pm

In-house, baby!

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:56 pm

minnbills wrote:
AntipodeanPhil wrote:
zozin wrote:
They'll know exactly who understands the difference between big media and local media from the answers, at least. More diverse and innovative writing is hard to get when the freelancing jobs pay shit and you're only getting entries from people who can't write well enough to freelance or salary at a national/regional level.

There are arguments to be made for the freelancing, but they mostly involve operating costs, workspace arrangements, and benefits costs. More people for less money and no need to ever actually fire anyone equals win for management.

lakers3peat

Bronze

Post by lakers3peat » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:02 pm

WTF? are you guys kidding?

FREELANCING FTW!

DOWN WITH THE CORPORATE BIGWIGS!!!

:lol:

AlabamaIceman

New

Post by AlabamaIceman » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:04 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:
zozin wrote:How many prompts do they have for each LSAT? Mine was about a newspaper.
I got the newspaper also. That prompt sucked. I had to think fairly hard just to find some relevant to say - I never had that problem on PTs. The cops sound much better.
The cops that everyone is referencing is in reference to a certain bitch of a LR question, not a writing prompt, unless I'm missing something.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:10 pm

AlabamaIceman wrote:
AntipodeanPhil wrote:
The cops that everyone is referencing is in reference to a certain bitch of a LR question, not a writing prompt, unless I'm missing something.
That's what I thought as well. I skipped that one and came back to it at the end. Thank goodness I had extra time. I think I did I a good job narrowing it down, but who knows.

joebloe

Bronze

Post by joebloe » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:46 pm

Shawh wrote:
AlabamaIceman wrote:
AntipodeanPhil wrote:
That's what I thought as well. I skipped that one and came back to it at the end. Thank goodness I had extra time. I think I did I a good job narrowing it down, but who knows.
God, cops... I'm worried about that one now. I felt slightly confident about my response but I'm starting to wonder if I totally botched it by eliminating the credited response in the frenzy.

I got newspapers for the prompt. I agree with the other observations in this thread with respect to the obvious choice... though I kind of had a bitch of a time articulating it because I didn't want to drag in excess outside knowledge. I mean at that point, I might as well start making stuff up to support my point.

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:18 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:
zozin wrote:
I just went on about how there is no guarantee freelancers could be found, the prompt implied some staff would be cut, and if freelancers aren't found then the survival and viability of the newspaper would be in doubt. It sounded alright when I wrote it, I think. lol

john1990

Silver

Post by john1990 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:32 pm

freelance ftw

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chasy_price

New

Post by chasy_price » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:35 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:
They'll know exactly who understands the difference between big media and local media from the answers, at least. More diverse and innovative writing is hard to get when the freelancing jobs pay shit and you're only getting entries from people who can't write well enough to freelance or salary at a national/regional level.

There are arguments to be made for the freelancing, but they mostly involve operating costs, workspace arrangements, and benefits costs. More people for less money and no need to ever actually fire anyone equals win for management.
This is what I banked on although I don't really understand the difference between big media and local media. Freelancers get paid in fixed amount so help minimize the cost plus less management related expenses and easier to project the budget. The newspaper company if I remember correctly is the biggest newspaper in a large market.

Ssushi

New

Post by Ssushi » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:35 pm

minnbills wrote:
AntipodeanPhil wrote:
zozin wrote:
I said a high turnover rate would lead to lower quantity, not quality. But the newspaper (according to the prompt) didn't give a shit about quantity so they should freelance.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:44 pm

Ssushi wrote:I said a high turnover rate would lead to lower quantity, not quality. But the newspaper (according to the prompt) didn't give a shit about quantity so they should freelance.
Why would it lead to lower quantity? Any freelance argument relies on the assumption that there is a large pool of candidates.

mac35352

Bronze

Post by mac35352 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:55 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:
zozin wrote:
I chose freelancing as well. I thought it was interesting and easy to form an argument. Easiest section of the test.LOL

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:00 pm

Only on TLS would this be a lengthy discussion :lol:

gens1tb

Bronze

Post by gens1tb » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:03 pm

The Wangs pop up all the time

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:11 pm

For any of you who think the writing prompt matters,

Mine was about whether an amateur astrological society should build their observatory at location A or B. I wrote about how they were probably a drug cartel because no backyard stargazers could legitimately fund an observatory, and then I drew a giant unicorn eating the sun.

I am in Law School.

MBZags

Silver

Post by MBZags » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:13 pm

Cupidity wrote:For any of you who think the writing prompt matters,

Mine was about whether an amateur astrological society should build their observatory at location A or B. I wrote about how they were probably a drug cartel because no backyard stargazers could legitimately fund an observatory, and then I drew a giant unicorn eating the sun.

I am in Law School.
Hahaha, same prompt I had. Glorious response.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

joebloe

Bronze

Post by joebloe » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:11 pm

minnbills wrote:
Ssushi wrote:I said a high turnover rate would lead to lower quantity, not quality. But the newspaper (according to the prompt) didn't give a shit about quantity so they should freelance.
Why would it lead to lower quantity? Any freelance argument relies on the assumption that there is a large pool of candidates.
Plus going freelance would probably create a glut of newly-unemployed newswriters when the existing in-house writing department gets downsized. So it's probably safe to make an assumption like that.

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:14 pm

All this discussion about the writing sample topic ...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”