Will having two scores really hurt my chance?

forps

Will having two scores really hurt my chance?

Postby forps » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:48 am

I am taking LSAT tomorrow and planning to cancel the score anyway since I am scoring 159-160 consistantly. I am going to spend this summer to study for LSAT regularly 5-6 hours / day but no more. I feel that I can hit 165 if I study more by working on particular types of LR and RC strategy.

But if it doesn't really hurt (apart from having to write an addendum explaining why they have to consider the higher score), I wouldn't cancel it. So, will having two scores really hurt my chance of admission? For example, here are few options and let me know what you think which option seems like the most appropriate for the admission purposes.

1) Cancel (June test), and 165 (Oct test)
2) 159 (June test), 165 (Oct test)

3) Cancel (June test), 165 (Oct test), and 170 (Dec test)
4) 159 (June test), 165 (Oct test), and 170 (Dec test)

5) 163 (Oct test) - Taken only once

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by forps on Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

downing

Re: Will having two scores really hurt my chance?

Postby downing » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:51 am

Most schools only consider your highest score. Since you probably aren't going to bother with HYS, I wouldn't worry about it.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:02 am

If you're aiming for 165 or 170+ and your practice scores right now have been consistently around 160, then just cancel. There's no use in keeping around a score that is lower on a prayer that you outperform everything you've done before come test day (now if you have gotten a few outlier scores in the 165+ range then maybe it's more worth it).

While most schools consider your highest score, a cancel + 169 is better than a 158 + 169.

Hypothetical Option #3 will make you the most competitive of all the options given.

forps

Postby forps » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:05 am

downing wrote:Most schools only consider your highest score. Since you probably aren't going to bother with HYS, I wouldn't worry about it.

Thank you for your input.

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:If you're aiming for 165 or 170+ and your practice scores right now have been consistently around 160, then just cancel. There's no use in keeping around a score that is lower on a prayer that you outperform everything you've done before come test day (now if you have gotten a few outlier scores in the 165+ range then maybe it's more worth it).

While most schools consider your highest score, a cancel + 169 is better than a 158 + 169.

Hypothetical Option #3 will make you the most competitive of all the options given.

Thank you for thoughtful reply, I will definitely cancel after tomorrow via fax.

armyparalegalnco

Postby armyparalegalnco » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:20 am

Can you test and cancel at the end? For instance like the GMAT.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”