Is this a bad idea for test day? Anyone ever done this?

Tainted_Praise
Posts: 196
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:20 pm

Is this a bad idea for test day? Anyone ever done this?

Postby Tainted_Praise » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:14 pm

I have to get dropped off two hours before hand due to ride situations, plus I just like to be early... I'm thinking of bringing some material with me... A couple printed out LG's and LR sections to breeze through before the test.. You know to get my mind in motion. Bad idea or good idea? Or is it all relative to the test taker and how their mind works?

User avatar
incompetentia
Posts: 2307
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:57 pm

Re: Is this a bad idea for test day? Anyone ever done this?

Postby incompetentia » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:21 pm

Tainted_Praise wrote:Or is it all relative to the test taker and how their mind works?


I'd rather take it cold. Others do better with warmups. You should know by now which way you lean.
Just remember that you'll have to toss them before you go into the testing room

User avatar
mac35352
Posts: 371
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:17 pm

Re: Is this a bad idea for test day? Anyone ever done this?

Postby mac35352 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:23 pm

I'm doing it. Need a quick warm up before the test

User avatar
Michaela
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:20 am

Re: Is this a bad idea for test day? Anyone ever done this?

Postby Michaela » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:26 pm

Tainted_Praise wrote:I have to get dropped off two hours before hand due to ride situations, plus I just like to be early... I'm thinking of bringing some material with me... A couple printed out LG's and LR sections to breeze through before the test.. You know to get my mind in motion. Bad idea or good idea? Or is it all relative to the test taker and how their mind works?


kaplan actually recommends doing this with problems you have ALREADY worked out to get yourself in the right mindset. i found it helpful.

User avatar
fltanglab
Posts: 555
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:44 pm

Re: Is this a bad idea for test day? Anyone ever done this?

Postby fltanglab » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:28 pm

I think it's a good idea. I have quite a bit of lag time between brunch and the start of the test, so I figure focusing on the LSAT is a good thing. And Kaplan recommends it, as the above poster stated.

AFS
Posts: 61
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 3:06 pm

Re: Is this a bad idea for test day? Anyone ever done this?

Postby AFS » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:37 pm

A possible downside to having to wait that long is you have a lot of time to psyche yourself out. Just make sure that you keep your head on straight and get yourself in the zone and keep your confidence level high.

Tainted_Praise
Posts: 196
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:20 pm

Re: Is this a bad idea for test day? Anyone ever done this?

Postby Tainted_Praise » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:43 pm

AFS wrote:A possible downside to having to wait that long is you have a lot of time to psyche yourself out. Just make sure that you keep your head on straight and get yourself in the zone and keep your confidence level high.



Very true. I'll probably do what another poster said and do problems that I have already worked out.

ChicagoBear
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:12 am

Re: Is this a bad idea for test day? Anyone ever done this?

Postby ChicagoBear » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:07 pm

Does anybody else have an opinion on this? I am in a similar situation (I am taking a train to the site) and am trying to decide if I want to do some last minute studying or not. Obviously, this is an subjective trait, but I haven't really noticed myself doing better one way or the other. I was leaning towards doing new LGs, so I was wondering if anybody had any specific feelings about doing that.

User avatar
citykitty
Posts: 465
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:03 pm

Re: Is this a bad idea for test day? Anyone ever done this?

Postby citykitty » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:10 pm

I don't think it's a big deal, if you know it won't freak you out. I plan to do a game or two in the morning.

Tainted_Praise
Posts: 196
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:20 pm

Re: Is this a bad idea for test day? Anyone ever done this?

Postby Tainted_Praise » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:13 pm

ChicagoBear wrote:Does anybody else have an opinion on this? I am in a similar situation (I am taking a train to the site) and am trying to decide if I want to do some last minute studying or not. Obviously, this is an subjective trait, but I haven't really noticed myself doing better one way or the other. I was leaning towards doing new LGs, so I was wondering if anybody had any specific feelings about doing that.



DON'T do new ones... If you struggle on them your confidence goes down.. And the way you approach the test is different. You need confidence...Do ones you've already aced.

brooksrun
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:41 pm

Re: Is this a bad idea for test day? Anyone ever done this?

Postby brooksrun » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:14 pm

I read somewhere that doing LG that you know you can do easily can be good just to give yourself a confidence boost/get in the right frame of mind. I briefly glanced at a few and revied some of the LR bible tips before I went into the test center. I don't really think it helped, but I definitely don't think it hurt.

User avatar
Modus Ponens
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:34 pm

Re: Is this a bad idea for test day? Anyone ever done this?

Postby Modus Ponens » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:17 pm

If you're going to do problems before the test, I would use them only to get yourself warmed up. I wouldn't look at the correct answers in case you missed a few. Seems more likely that getting a few wrong before the test would do more to psych you out rather than provide any kind of useful lesson.

User avatar
TheFutureLawyer
Posts: 3905
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 2:28 pm

Re: Is this a bad idea for test day? Anyone ever done this?

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:48 pm

Modus Ponens wrote:If you're going to do problems before the test, I would use them only to get yourself warmed up. I wouldn't look at the correct answers in case you missed a few. Seems more likely that getting a few wrong before the test would do more to psych you out rather than provide any kind of useful lesson.



This is what I did exactly. Did half a section of each type the morning of the test (though in my own apartment), and made a point to not look at the answers. It was pure warm up, and I ended up scoring my average, which I was happy with (esp b/c I only got like 4 hrs sleep).




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests