Prohibited nonelectronic devices

john1990

Prohibited nonelectronic devices

Postby john1990 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:54 pm

I just noticed that books and papers are listed under this section, but i have heard that it is advisable to bring in some reading material ie (magazine, newspaper...) in order to pass the time before the test begins. Is this in fact permitted?

Also i saw that the test could take up to 7 hours. That is really suprising since there are only 5 35 minute sections a 15 minute break and then the 35 minute "paper". So are we waiting for 3 hours to start this test?

minnbills

Re: Prohibited nonelectronic devices

Postby minnbills » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:13 pm

john1990 wrote:I just noticed that books and papers are listed under this section, but i have heard that it is advisable to bring in some reading material ie (magazine, newspaper...) in order to pass the time before the test begins. Is this in fact permitted?

Also i saw that the test could take up to 7 hours. That is really suprising since there are only 5 35 minute sections a 15 minute break and then the 35 minute "paper". So are we waiting for 3 hours to start this test?

It's not going to take 7 hours in all likelihood. The proctors don't want to be stuck there and unless someone is slowing thing down somehow it shouldn't take too long to get started.

From my experience last October it took thirty minutes or so to get situated and for the test to begin. After that there were no irregularities or anything. I was out of there around 1 if my memory serves me correctly.

Whatever reading material or prep papers you bring will probably have to be tossed before the test begins. Last time I leafed through the LGB in the car and then reviewed a few pages of a LR section in the hallway before tossin it out.

albanach

Postby albanach » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:21 pm

I liked having a complicated game or two that I knew I could do.

That got the brain focused and feeling good before going in to the exam room, and only involves bringing a single sheet of paper. When it's time to go in, toss it away.

mushybrain

Postby mushybrain » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:05 pm

Yeah, I would just bring something you don't mind throwing away before going inside. I'll probably bring some LR questions.

BrightLine

Postby BrightLine » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:19 pm

It can take a while to get started, and then the process of collecting and redistributing the tests for the break and then collecting them at the end. My test finished a 2:30

albanach

Postby albanach » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:06 pm

You can't take anything into the room. Reading material / questions are for the time spent waiting outside.

There are a few sites/pages and wikis listing test center reviews. They should give you an idea as to how fast/slow your test center has been in the past. Some of the really large centers have been reported as very slow at getting started.

For example:

--LinkRemoved--

Washington Convention Center

Rating: 2

Comments: 400 people in one room, AC was set to freezing, and the proctors were pretty disorganized. The proctors got a standing ovation when we finally started 1.5 hours later than we were supposed to; that should give a good indication of what it was like. i think this was the first year the convention center held the LSAT; i hope it's the last time.

and...

University of British Columbia

Rating: 10

Test date: Sep 09 & Dec 09

Comments: I've taken the LSAT here twice and both times went extremely smoothly. First time was in a big theater-style room, second in a smaller classroom. Both rooms provided ample room to write and were extremely quiet. Check-in procedures went very fast and the proctors were outstanding both times (I noticed most of the same proctors the second time I wrote). I really cannot give it less than a 10.

There can be quite a difference between individual test centers.

john1990

Postby john1990 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:47 pm

Thanks for the insight everyone ill probably just bring an old rolling stone magazine. Glad to hear that the 15minute break is actualy much longer too

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”