MAPPING/PATTERN GAMES.

Do/did you practice doing Mapping/Pattern Games?

Yes
64%
No
36%

Total votes: 25

lsater180

MAPPING/PATTERN GAMES.

Postby lsater180 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:05 pm

As of today, I have done almost all game types. I still need to work on Combination/Linear games, and then I have Mapping and Pattern games left for last.

Should I be doing (and redoing) mapping and pattern games at all?

EDIT: I just realized I hadn't done Partially Defined and Undefined games yet. My bad. I've done so many games multiple times (most games 4 times, some games 7 times, all untimed) that I kind of lost track of what is left to be done. lol.
Last edited by lsater180 on Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

youknowryan

Re: To do or not to do mapping and pattern games?

Postby youknowryan » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:27 pm

lsater180 wrote:As of today, I have done almost all game types. I still need to work on Combination/Linear games, and then I have Mapping and Pattern games left for last.

if you're testing on monday, do one or two of each so you are familiar, yes. They're actually very easy once you see how they function. If you are testing at a later date, again yes, do some of them, but really only to get a feel for the them. Your focus must be upon the game types you have issues with and also the type that are used currently. Sure a mapping/pattern game might appear, but a combination game is MUCH more likely to show up, and therefore should be your main focus.

lsater180

Postby lsater180 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:54 pm

youknowryan wrote:
lsater180 wrote:As of today, I have done almost all game types. I still need to work on Combination/Linear games, and then I have Mapping and Pattern games left for last.

if you're testing on monday, do one or two of each so you are familiar, yes. They're actually very easy once you see how they function. If you are testing at a later date, again yes, do some of them, but really only to get a feel for the them. Your focus must be upon the game types you have issues with and also the type that are used currently. Sure a mapping/pattern game might appear, but a combination game is MUCH more likely to show up, and therefore should be your main focus.

No, I am not testing on Monday, otherwise I wouldn't be studying right now, lol. I'm thinking October should be optimal.

I'm definitely gonna do combination/linear games from earlier PTs, as soon as I finish a few grouping games (2 more times to redo 11 grouping, fixed/moving, unbalanced: OL/UF ones, yay!).

The thing is, currently I have no issues with any of the game types (wow, I can't believe I am saying this :D :D :D it sure feels nice) except, of course, combination/linear games - haven't tried those yet (and neither did I try mapping/pattern ones).

I'm following Pithypike's guide, except I've been doing every game 4 times instead of 3.
At first I was aiming for accuracy; now my speed is improving, too, and I am not even trying to do them timed. It's like it's becoming second nature to me. I am so pleased with that :mrgreen:

youknowryan

Postby youknowryan » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:10 am

lsater180 wrote:
youknowryan wrote:

No, I am not testing on Monday, otherwise I wouldn't be studying right now, lol. I'm thinking October should be optimal.

I'm definitely gonna do combination/linear games from earlier PTs, as soon as I finish a few grouping games (2 more times to redo 11 grouping, fixed/moving, unbalanced: OL/UF ones, yay!).

The thing is, currently I have no issues with any of the game types (wow, I can't believe I am saying this :D :D :D it sure feels nice) except, of course, combination/linear games - haven't tried those yet (and neither did I try mapping/pattern ones).

I'm following Pithypike's guide, except I've been doing every game 4 times instead of 3.
At first I was aiming for accuracy; now my speed is improving, too, and I am not even trying to do them timed. It's like it's becoming second nature to me. I am so pleased with that :mrgreen:

then you have answered your own question: go ahead and master linear/combo games, and then do a few of the remaining types.

Peg

Postby Peg » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:24 am

I agree with youknowryan that you should do mapping games just to get a feel of them. We all know that they don't really pop up in the LSAT anymore, but nobody should turn away from free practice problems. For me, mapping games helped my diagramming skills and visualization a little bit - but then, that could also be because I started my LSAT practice with the older LSATs (which had mapping games) and was still developing my LG skills.

But yeah, definitely spend more time on advanced linear/combination games.

lsater180

Re: MAPPING/PATTERN GAMES.

Postby lsater180 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:48 pm

~
Last edited by lsater180 on Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

citykitty

Postby citykitty » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:50 pm

I did a few mapping games. There aren't tons of them to practice with, but I think it's important to be familiar in case one pops up on your test. Linear and grouping games are much more common though.

lsater180

Postby lsater180 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:59 pm

Bump

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:50 pm

The last time a true mapping game appeared on an LSAT was 1993 unless you count the Zendu radar zones game from 1995, but that one is really just an odd grouping game. Do them for practice if you have the time (there are only a handful), but don't stress about them. The chances of one popping up again are pretty slim.

Pattern type games -depending on how you define them- have appeared on recent tests.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”