`

who_ate_my_cake

`

Postby who_ate_my_cake » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:26 pm

`
Last edited by who_ate_my_cake on Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:05 am, edited 6 times in total.

paulinaporizkova

Re: Critique my year-long study plan

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:27 pm

what is this i don't even

The Gentleman

Re: Critique my year-long study plan

Postby The Gentleman » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:16 pm

I applaud your ambition, but spending any more than 6 or 7 months studying for the LSAT isn't just unnecessary, it's probably counter-productive. LSAT prep follows the law of diminishing returns. The best ratio of study time to score improvement will occur during the first few months of prep, but the longer you spend prepping after that, the worse this ratio of investment to return will become. Eventually, you will reach a point where your score simply plateaus and there will be no more room for noticeable improvement. As someone who spent five months prepping for the LSAT, I can say that this plateau occurs around the five to seven month mark.

There's several more problems with your study plan. First, you're exposing yourself to the risk of LSAT burnout. Everybody is ambitious and eager when they buy their first LSAT book, thinking that they can force themselves to study for however long is necessary to reach their goal score, as if LSAT prep were a character in an RPG video game. Unfortunately, you will almost certainly get sick of the constant practice and grind that LSAT studying requires. This happens to everybody who invests serious time into LSAT prep, but by spending a year prepping your burnout periods will be much more difficult to cope with.

Second, I think that you're spending too much time reviewing and re-reviewing material that you've already done. Going over mistakes and understanding what you missed is obviously an important part of LSAT prep, but not having a constant stream of fresh material to practice is going to hurt you. It's very similar to being a basketball player. You have to spend time in the gym working on your fundamentals, time in the film room watching your game, and time with the playbook learning the ins and outs of the system. But these things are far from being sufficient if you want to become a better player. There's no substitute for being in a live game with the shot clock running down and a defender in your face. That kind of experience simply can't be replicated in practice and a player that spends all his time in the gym or in the film room will choke when confronted with a live-game scenario. Likewise, spending too much time without fresh, timed LSAT material will prevent you from applying the things you're learning during your untimed review.

And finally, you're putting all of your eggs in one basket by exhausting every available LSAT question. What happens if you get sick next June? Or if there's noisy construction going on outside your testing room? Or if the kid sitting next to you makes orgasm sounds every thirty seconds? (Download the LSAT Proctor Cacophony MP3 and see what I mean.) If you need to retake the test, you'll be in big trouble due to lack of fresh material.

With that said, I'd advise you to check out LSAT Blog's 6 month study schedule and, if necessary, modify it to fit your needs. Good luck.

EDIT: I see you've deleted your post. Why?

loomstate

Re: critique this

Postby loomstate » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:56 am

one year, holy fuck. just watch the movie get smart and take the test.

who_ate_my_cake

-

Postby who_ate_my_cake » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:31 pm

-
Last edited by who_ate_my_cake on Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

loomstate

Postby loomstate » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:58 pm

who_ate_my_cake wrote:
loomstate wrote:one year, holy fuck. just watch the movie get smart and take the test.

dude, you're just dumb. I am asking for a critique, not a dumbass suggestion.

i would argue, if we were to be logical, that if one of us had to be dumb, it would be you. nevertheless, i hope studying for a year gets you where you want to be

loomstate

Postby loomstate » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:59 pm

btw i'll be eating your cake

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”