Cold feet about tomorrow. Should I wait?

secretad
Posts: 209
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:26 pm

Cold feet about tomorrow. Should I wait?

Postby secretad » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:36 pm

Hey all. I have been prepping for this June test since March. I have gone from a score in early April of a 165 to recently a score of 174 under timed conditions of my practice tests. I am in a pressure packed situation since this will be my third time taking the test. I want to score in the 170s on the test. I would say half of my scores are 170-171 and the other half is 166-168. I took a practice test yesterday and got a 166 and I am very rattled. The day prior to that test I scored my 174. And the preptests were in chrono order.

I am in a situation where I would have to wait until next June to have another crack at the test if i go through And take it tomorrow and do not like y score, which would mean I am two more years away from law school, which is very sour news. And I have gone through probably 85-90% of all tests, so I am worried about that aspect of potential prepping for an October test.

Right now I simply have no confidence going into tomorrow. What would you do?

User avatar
incompetentia
Posts: 2307
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:57 pm

Re: Cold feet about tomorrow. Should I wait?

Postby incompetentia » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:38 pm

PT62? One of the wonkiest tests currently in existence (57, 60 would also be up there.)


There is absolutely no harm in taking the test now. You should be able to go into it feeling as if you have nothing to lose.

Focus the last 24 hours on making yourself calm, confident, and as focused as possible. This alone can show a variance of up to 10-15 questions in your score.

secretad
Posts: 209
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Cold feet about tomorrow. Should I wait?

Postby secretad » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:38 pm

No I am taking PTs in the 40s while also doing some timed sections of newer tests that I have already done.

I am totally rattled right now. I scored 174 not even 48 hours ago, and today I missed a total of 17 questions combined on the two LR sections. I am moving the date to October.

I have only one realistic shot left at this test and I do not see how I can mentally overcome such bad vibes right now.

So upset.

User avatar
Verity
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Cold feet about tomorrow. Should I wait?

Postby Verity » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:39 pm

If you have done all you can with studying, then a delay will not help. It may even harm.

secretad
Posts: 209
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Cold feet about tomorrow. Should I wait?

Postby secretad » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:41 pm

Going in to take the test right after getting my ass kicked is not going to help either.

What is the difference between withdrawing and not withdrawing? Is it that the no-show will not show on your report if you choose withdraw by tonight?

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Cold feet about tomorrow. Should I wait?

Postby northwood » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:44 pm

since you postponed the test- make sure that the days coming up to the october test you work onkeeping your confidence high. Once you get into the 170s it is hard to predict how well you will do- as you can get the same number of questions right and score lower than before. You know the material, and know it well. Work on confidence and stress management for october- and dont worry about how well you do- just focus on doing the best you can.

October is early enuogh for next cycle. Work on your applications now and start reviewing for october in august. Identify your target, reach and safety schools and work on your target and safety schools ( where your current scores will get you in) and save the reach schools after the test and send them out the day you get the scores back.

User avatar
Verity
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Cold feet about tomorrow. Should I wait?

Postby Verity » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:45 pm

secretad wrote:Going in to take the test right after getting my ass kicked is not going to help either.

What is the difference between withdrawing and not withdrawing? Is it that the no-show will not show on your report if you choose withdraw by tonight?



Not necessarily true. It could've been a fluke. I've seen plenty of people freak out, delay, and then f up their real test. All that wait, for nothing.

You could also take it and cancel if you think you did poorly. One instance of cancelling generally has no effect on admission.

secretad
Posts: 209
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Cold feet about tomorrow. Should I wait?

Postby secretad » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:02 pm

This would be my third take. So a cancel is not possible.

User avatar
Verity
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Cold feet about tomorrow. Should I wait?

Postby Verity » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:55 pm

secretad wrote:This would be my third take. So a cancel is not possible.



If this is your third take, then frankly it seems like a further delay won't help. There's no way to say that it will help or hurt, or stay the same. Flip a coin, or man up and make a decision.

Peg
Posts: 331
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:32 am

Re: Cold feet about tomorrow. Should I wait?

Postby Peg » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:39 am

I know it's too late to reply to this thread and OP has probably already made a decision - but I'm sorry, delaying now would just be foolish, especially since it's your third attempt and you're practicing above 170 on average - if you don't have this test down now, then you likely won't improve drastically at a later date. Like someone else upthread said: once you pass the 170 mark, it all becomes a little unpredictable.

Don't be a coward, if you got a 174 on Friday then you're more than capable of getting a 174 on Test Day...if you calm down. I experienced a score dip of 6 points from my PT average only a couple days before the real LSAT, but I went ahead and did the test. And my final score, which was still 2 points below my average, was better than that last fiasco practice session. And I had passed the 170 mark too. Bottom: be cool and be confident. If you're not ready now, I doubt you'll be ready in October.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dontsaywhatyoumean, xn3345 and 6 guests