Should I withdraw?

Tainted_Praise
Posts: 196
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:20 pm

Should I withdraw?

Postby Tainted_Praise » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:05 pm

Been averaging around 160-168 yes. Quite a wide range... Got lower once I shifted to practicing with the newer tests... Anyhow.... I just took a test.. And for some reason. BOMBED it... I don't know what happened....I couldn't even make it through. Smh.

I'm a URM with a low gpa 2.8/2.9 should I postpone and take in October.. Or take in June to get my apps in early?

This will be my THIRD test
Last edited by Tainted_Praise on Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Curry

Re: Should I withdraw?

Postby Curry » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:06 pm

Take it in June. Use it as a practice run, if anything. You can always retake in October and nobody really averages.

Tainted_Praise
Posts: 196
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:20 pm

Re: Should I withdraw?

Postby Tainted_Praise » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:07 pm

Curry wrote:Take it in June. Use it as a practice run, if anything. You can always retake in October and nobody really averages.


Oh let me specify this is my THIRD test

Curry

Re: Should I withdraw?

Postby Curry » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:12 pm

Ah. That changes things.

User avatar
coldshoulder
Posts: 963
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:05 pm

Re: Should I withdraw?

Postby coldshoulder » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:19 pm

How long have you been studying? Is it realistic for you to expect to improve significantly by the October test? If so, seems like a no-brainer to wait since it's pretty much your last chance.

User avatar
Lawquacious
Posts: 2037
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Re: Should I withdraw?

Postby Lawquacious » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:20 pm

What are your goals in terms of schools? Have you taken in June before? I think the late start time of the test could help some people who aren't 'morning people,' but I don't know if that is you. Do you think you can continue to improve? Waiting could help, but honestly I think there is a bit of luck involved, especially for those who have a fairly wide range in testing scores. Practice over a long period of time can help shift that range up and probably narrow it, but it sounds like you have studied over a long time already, so I think it is possible that you could end up studying until Sept/Oct. and score about the same (without being able to have the advantage of applying early). OTOH you could improve and it could make a difference. I would go with your intuition. What are your other scores?
Last edited by Lawquacious on Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Should I withdraw?

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:22 pm

coldshoulder wrote:How long have you been studying? Is it realistic for you to expect to improve significantly by the October test? If so, seems like a no-brainer to wait since it's pretty much your last chance.

+1 to these questions.

Weren't you the rando who was planning on drilling 40 logic games in a row yesterday? It could be burnout. Also, what were your last two scores on the real deal? What are you shooting for? What schools are you looking to apply to?

Tainted_Praise
Posts: 196
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:20 pm

Re: Should I withdraw?

Postby Tainted_Praise » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:26 pm

Lawquacious wrote:What are your goals in terms of schools? Have you taken in June before? I think the late start time of the test could help some people who aren't 'morning people,' but I don't know if that is you. Do you think you can continue to improve? Waiting could help, but honestly I think there is a bit of luck involved, especially for those who have a fairly wide range in testing scores. Practice over a long period of time can help shift that range up and narrow it, but it sounds like you have studied over a long time already, so I think it is possible that you could end up studying until Sept/Oct. and score about the same (without being able to have the advantage of applying early). OTOH you could improve and it could make a difference. I would go with your intuition. What are your other scores?


First - 151 (Was not ready at all did not take the test seriously at all)

Second - 160 (I actually practiced logic games before hand that time and actually got more than 10 right on LG lol)

And my top choice Georgetown, Second George Washington, Third University of Maryland, Fourth - American U

My weak areas are RC.... And LG.... I can score -2,-1,-0 in the LR sections on any given test... All depends really.

I get through three RC passages and have seemed to accept that... I'm trying to improve my LG more.

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Should I withdraw?

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:29 pm

Dude, don't take the test unless you have LG down to -0. LG is the section you can improve on the easiest, and if you go -4 total LR and -0 LG, you have a LOT of leeway for that last RC section to stay in the upper 160s/lower 170s region. How many are you missing on average for RC and LG? I'm guessing -7 at least for RC, since you don't make it to the 4th passage. With a -4 total LR, -0 LG, and -7 RC, you still have a 170 on most tests.

You're doing a disservice to yourself if you go into the test before you've aced the Logic Games. Seriously.

ETA: this isn't to say 'don't study RC at all if you have good LG'...just saying, LG is easier to improve on than RC, so if you're still missing Qs there, you should definitely be trying to improve in that section first.

Tainted_Praise
Posts: 196
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:20 pm

Re: Should I withdraw?

Postby Tainted_Praise » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:30 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:Dude, don't take the test unless you have LG down to -0. LG is the section you can improve on the easiest, and if you go -4 total LR and -0 LG, you have a LOT of leeway for that last RC section to stay in the upper 160s/lower 170s region. How many are you missing on average for RC and LG? I'm guessing -7 at least for RC, since you don't make it to the 4th passage. With a -4 total LR, -0 LG, and -7 RC, you still have a 170 on most tests.

You're doing a disservice to yourself if you go into the test before you've aced the Logic Games. Seriously.


Thanks... Needed to see this.

Right now I can get through 3 and a 1/2 games(if I am lucky 3 and 3/4).. Do you think I could possibly improve to get through 4 by Monday?

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Should I withdraw?

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:32 pm

Tainted_Praise wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:You're doing a disservice to yourself if you go into the test before you've aced the Logic Games. Seriously.


Thanks... Needed to see this.

Right now I can get through 3 and a 1/2 games.. Do you think I could possibly improve to get through 4 by Monday?

Honestly? I doubt it, at least not without sacrificing accuracy. How have you prepared? What was your study schedule like? Did you go through the LG Bible already?

Tainted_Praise
Posts: 196
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:20 pm

Re: Should I withdraw?

Postby Tainted_Praise » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:35 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Tainted_Praise wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:You're doing a disservice to yourself if you go into the test before you've aced the Logic Games. Seriously.


Thanks... Needed to see this.

Right now I can get through 3 and a 1/2 games.. Do you think I could possibly improve to get through 4 by Monday?

Honestly? I doubt it, at least not without sacrificing accuracy. How have you prepared? What was your study schedule like? Did you go through the LG Bible already?


I've had only 3 weeks to prepare... I didn't have time during the semester or during finals... I feel kind of pressured since I really want to get my application in early.

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Should I withdraw?

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:47 pm

Tainted_Praise wrote:I've had only 3 weeks to prepare... I didn't have time during the semester or during finals... I feel kind of pressured since I really want to get my application in early.

What did you do in those 3 weeks?

Tainted_Praise
Posts: 196
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:20 pm

Re: Should I withdraw?

Postby Tainted_Praise » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:21 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Tainted_Praise wrote:I've had only 3 weeks to prepare... I didn't have time during the semester or during finals... I feel kind of pressured since I really want to get my application in early.

What did you do in those 3 weeks?


Majority LG practice... Some LR here and there.. And VERY little RC

I studied for about 5 hours a day on average.

User avatar
coldshoulder
Posts: 963
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:05 pm

Re: Should I withdraw?

Postby coldshoulder » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:26 pm

You'll still get your application in before November in time for ED if you take the October test.

Tainted_Praise
Posts: 196
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:20 pm

Re: Should I withdraw?

Postby Tainted_Praise » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:33 pm

coldshoulder wrote:You'll still get your application in before November in time for ED if you take the October test.



Doesn't the ED go toward the NEXT cycle though?

User avatar
blurbz
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: Should I withdraw?

Postby blurbz » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:52 pm

Tainted_Praise wrote:
coldshoulder wrote:You'll still get your application in before November in time for ED if you take the October test.



Doesn't the ED go toward the NEXT cycle though?



What? No.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Anon.y.mousse., Baidu [Spider], BobBoblaw, CHyde, connordalto, dj9i27, jiangzichen, PantoroB, somebodyelse, theboringest, VMars, wedidit1991, Yahoo [Bot] and 57 guests