June test taker...need advice :(

Maryam19

June test taker...need advice :(

Postby Maryam19 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:03 pm

Hey everyone. I don't want to sound whiny but...

(I'm taking the June test, and I have been studying for over four months. I completely prepared, and feel as though I did all that I could do to prepare for this test....this isn't cold feet)

However...my boyfriend just broke up with me 3 nights ago. He feels as though I "abandoned" him this past month, and didn't get the "attention" he deserves...I can't stop stressing about it :( I haven't been able to sleep/eat, and I feel so weak going into this exam. Any suggestions??!?!! I tried talking to him, and asking him politely to let us talk this through after Monday, but he refuses...He doesn't understand the nature/severity of the exam at all. He just lives off his parents, and is spoiled rat. I tried to look over some notes yesterday, and still couldn't focus....

How can I block this out during those crucial 4 hours?

Thanks so much for reading...

Kilpatrick

Re: June test taker...need advice :(

Postby Kilpatrick » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:43 pm

Wow you're boyfriend is a dick. Believe me, in the long run this is probably the best thing that could've happened to you. If he's like this while you were studying for the LSAT, imagine what he would've been like during your first year of law school (which is about 100 times more intense). Unfortunately, it's a shitty thing to have to go through in the short term. Try your best to focus on the positives and not think about it during the test.

Luckily you're taking the June test, so if you do mess up you can retake in October and not be too late with your apps.

I don't know when the June LSAT is, but if you have time take a practice test under timed conditions and see if you can get through it without thinking about your breakup. If you really can't do it, you might want to cancel

davesmystery

Postby davesmystery » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:04 pm

There's no easy way to block powerful emotions, other than by sheer willpower and focus. Agreeing with the post above mine, you're much better off without a person who doesn't support you and your goals in life. Despite what you think consciously about him, you will still have the emotional tug of war until you have enough time to process your emotions and resolve yourself. If you don't think you have the willpower and focus to tune it out, withdraw or cancel (depending on your situation and schools you're aiming for) and aim for October.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:09 pm

Your boyfriend sounds like he pees sitting down. But seriously, focus on the task at hand right now. After Monday, deal with the situation. I'd say your better off without him though. But I am just a very outside observer. Good Luck!

citykitty

Postby citykitty » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:09 pm

Suck it up. Life is full of curve balls. My STBX husband cheated on me when I was pregnant and I kicked him out in the middle of prepping for the LSAT. Not the best time in my life to be taking a test, but whatever. Doing well on this test is my ticket back to where I want to live and work.

Your boyfriend is an asshole. He's sabotaging you and all your efforts. You'll be much better off without him in the long run. Clear your head, kick ass on the test, and get into an awesome law school far away from him and meet someone better.

lakers3peat

Postby lakers3peat » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:20 pm

Maryam19 wrote:She feels as though I "abandoned" her this past month, and didn't get the "attention" she deserves....

FTFY

OhOkay

Postby OhOkay » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:29 pm

Recall your intentions for taking this test, motivate yourself again about why you want to take this test, why you want to do well on it, and why you want to go to law school. The drama with this guy will still be waiting on Monday evening, but the test won't. If the test is important to you, then just ignore everything else in your life and only think about this test and why it matters to you in the bigger context of your life goals.
Last edited by OhOkay on Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tainted_Praise

Postby Tainted_Praise » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:02 pm

To be honest... I think that he broke up with you on purpose to try and fluster your head about the exam... He doesn't want you to do well. He is intimidated by your drive and your will to succeed.... Not that all men are intimidated by driven women, but I'm sure HE is... He is not doing anything with his life clearly, and your success makes him even more insecure, not just as a man, but as a person. Leave the loser alone... He doesn't deserve you. Like I believe another poster said earlier... Run through a practice test... Still can't focus? Cancel.

SoPro

Postby SoPro » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:36 pm

Tainted_Praise wrote:To be honest... I think that he broke up with you on purpose to try and fluster your head about the exam... He doesn't want you to do well. He is intimidated by your drive and your will to succeed.... Not that all men are intimidated by driven women, but I'm sure HE is... He is not doing anything with his life clearly, and your success makes him even more insecure, not just as a man, but as a person. Leave the loser alone... He doesn't deserve you. Like I believe another poster said earlier... Run through a practice test... Still can't focus? Cancel.

lol

Alternatively, he may actually be sincere when he says he feels abandoned.

Because he may be genuine, I'm not going to tell you to just "ditch this loser". For one, when the other side acts in a somewhat irrational way (for example, refusing to talk to you about it), we tend to minimize their feelings and label them as unworthy. Although he may be acting immature and irrationally, and in a way that is very difficult for you to deal with emotionally, you may actually like the guy.

With that being said, here's what I think you should (try) to do. I emphasize try, because with something that's emotionally traumatic, it's easier said than done.

1. Remember why you're taking the LSAT, and why you spent four months studying for it. For all intensive purposes, this is going to define the direction of your life.

If that's not enough motivation...

2. Understand that, with relationships, things usually get better with time. Although your boyfriend's feelings may actually be hurt, he is being unreasonable by failing to understand the consequences of this test. Assuming you go into the LSAT with enough focus and motivation (see point #1), you'll be done with it for good. After that, then you can focus on your boyfriend. A little time to let him cool down and realize how childish he's being (he probably will, even if he won't admit it) is valuable. May point -- you don't need to fix this now. In fact, you probably can't. Take comfort in knowing that time heals in instances like this.

Good luck on the LSAT! Things are going to turn out fine. :D

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:37 pm

SoPro wrote:
Tainted_Praise wrote:To be honest... I think that he broke up with you on purpose to try and fluster your head about the exam... He doesn't want you to do well. He is intimidated by your drive and your will to succeed.... Not that all men are intimidated by driven women, but I'm sure HE is... He is not doing anything with his life clearly, and your success makes him even more insecure, not just as a man, but as a person. Leave the loser alone... He doesn't deserve you. Like I believe another poster said earlier... Run through a practice test... Still can't focus? Cancel.

lol

Alternatively, he may actually be sincere when he says he feels abandoned.

Because he may be genuine, I'm not going to tell you to just "ditch this loser". For one, when the other side acts in a somewhat irrational way (for example, refusing to talk to you about it), we tend to minimize their feelings and label them as unworthy. Although he may be acting immature and irrationally, and in a way that is very difficult for you to deal with emotionally, you may actually like the guy.

With that being said, here's what I think you should (try) to do. I emphasize try, because with something that's emotionally traumatic, it's easier said than done.

1. Remember why you're taking the LSAT, and why you spent four months studying for it. For all intensive purposes, this is going to define the direction of your life.

If that's not enough motivation...

2. Understand that, with relationships, things usually get better with time. Although your boyfriend's feelings may actually be hurt, he is being unreasonable by failing to understand the consequences of this test. Assuming you go into the LSAT with enough focus and motivation (see point #1), you'll be done with it for good. After that, then you can focus on your boyfriend. A little time to let him cool down and realize how childish he's being (he probably will, even if he won't admit it) is valuable. May point -- you don't need to fix this now. In fact, you probably can't. Take comfort in knowing that time heals in instances like this.

Good luck on the LSAT! Things are going to turn out fine. :D

Fix that bad habit before you get to law school.

Also, bad advice - OP needs to sever.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:38 pm

I think it's time for you to break up.

SoPro

Postby SoPro » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:39 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:Also, bad advice - OP needs to sever.

Interesting retort -- solid reasoning.

mushybrain

Postby mushybrain » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:43 pm

My boyfriend and I broke up too and the LSAT was the final straw. Keep in mind that the LSAT = your future. Don't let your ex determine your future. If you need to keep studying to stay distracted, do it. It's what I have been doing. Seriously, it's one thing to accommodate your significant other, but once they've made themselves an insignificant other, screw 'em. They don't get to determine your future.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:46 pm

SoPro wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:Also, bad advice - OP needs to sever.

Interesting retort -- solid reasoning.

I didn't give any reasons because the reasons are obvious - the guy is a whiny bitch and if he's acting like this now, he's going to be worse during 1L. She can retake the LSAT, she can't retake her first year of law school.

I just noticed you are an English major. Holy shit, do you also say "all the sudden"?

SoPro

Postby SoPro » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:13 pm

This is personal -- my profile has been glimpsed!

I apologize for not thoroughly reviewing and editing a post made on an informal message board. I will immediately (after this post) cease to employ the English language and I will subsequently drop out of school.

Moreover I will certainly have to leave this thread, because when an argument reaches that dilapidated state in which the merits of an argument become secondary to the correct use of commas.. experience tells me that reason and logic are all but obsolete.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:22 pm

saying all intensive purposes is not a typo

glewz

Postby glewz » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:24 pm

SoPro wrote:This is personal -- my profile has been glimpsed!

I apologize for not thoroughly reviewing and editing a post made on an informal message board. I will immediately (after this post) cease to employ the English language and I will subsequently drop out of school.

Moreover I will certainly have to leave this thread, because when an argument reaches that dilapidated state in which the merits of an argument become secondary to the correct use of commas.. experience tells me that reason and logic are all but obsolete.

For all intensive purposes, you two should calllmmm dowwwwn :wink: It's ok SoPro, happens to the best of us - none of us think you are actually an idiot.

Kilpatrick wrote:the guy is a whiny bitch and if he's acting like this now, he's going to be worse during 1L.

Also, I almost wrote this verbatim lol

Maryam19

Postby Maryam19 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:27 pm

Thanks everyone. I truly appreciate all of the advice and support. It really means a lot, even if it's an informal message board! I just ended up spending time with friends all day....and I agree that he's intimidated and this is probably for the best...sucks...hope no one else has to go through the same situation!

fltanglab

Postby fltanglab » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:48 pm

I had to take a huge genetics exam shortly after my last boyfriend left me and I had the same symptoms- not being able to eat or sleep. Personally I think that you should postpone unless you really feel like you can handle it. Like the other posters say, focus on how this exam is about YOU. Boyfriend or no boyfriend, this exam matters. And if you decide to take it, take it knowing that the score will stay with you, for better or worse. Guys come and go. Keep your head up! :D

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”