Help on a practice question.

pmcorrea

Help on a practice question.

Postby pmcorrea » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:55 am

I dont understand how I have the wrong answer.

Eight fighter pilots flying over the Amazon notice some hostile activity taking place on a sugar planta- tion. To peaceably resolve the conflict, they land their planes and decide that it would be best to send those pilots who would best complement each other as negotiators to talk to the warring parties. The pilots Anna, Ben, Chris, Dana, Evan, Frank, Garry, and Hillary are chosen as negotiators according to the following conditions:
Anna is chosen if Ben is chosen.
If Garry is not chosen, then Anna and Frank are chosen.
Ben and Hillary are chosen if Anna is chosen.
If Frank is not chosen, then Garry is chosen.
If Hillary is not chosen, then Evan is chosen.
If Chris is not chosen, then Dana is not chosen,
and if Dana is not chosen, then Chris is not chosen.

Who could be sent to negotiate alone?
(A) Garry (B) Anna (C) Chris (D) Dana (E) None of the above

Given how the diagram map is (http://gallery.me.com/pedromcorrea#100017)

I choose (A) Gary, for the fact that his appearance doesn't effect anyones, but the book says (E) is the correct answer with the reasoning "If Hillary is not sent, Evan must be sent, which means that Garry cannot be sent alone."

How does this make any sense?

mrwarre85

Re: Help on a practice question.

Postby mrwarre85 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:33 am

pmcorrea wrote:I dont understand how I have the wrong answer.

Eight fighter pilots flying over the Amazon notice some hostile activity taking place on a sugar planta- tion. To peaceably resolve the conflict, they land their planes and decide that it would be best to send those pilots who would best complement each other as negotiators to talk to the warring parties. The pilots Anna, Ben, Chris, Dana, Evan, Frank, Garry, and Hillary are chosen as negotiators according to the following conditions:

I choose (A) Gary, for the fact that his appearance doesn't effect anyones, but the book says (E) is the correct answer with the reasoning "If Hillary is not sent, Evan must be sent, which means that Garry cannot be sent alone."

If Gary went in alone then Hilary would not have been chosen and Gary would have had to go with Evan.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:49 am

Is this from a PR LG book?

pmcorrea

Postby pmcorrea » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:01 am

mrwarre85 wrote:

If Gary went in alone then Hilary would not have been chosen and Gary would have had to go with Evan.

But according to how sufficient-nessasary conditions work, the necessary does not depend of the sufficient.
For example, If you got an A+, you must've studied.
This doesn't mean if you studied, you get an A+
Applying this to the question, Just because Gary goes doesnt mean Hilary needs to be involved.

Tainted_Praise

Postby Tainted_Praise » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:14 am

pmcorrea wrote:
mrwarre85 wrote:

But according to how sufficient-nessasary conditions work, the necessary does not depend of the sufficient.
For example, If you got an A+, you must've studied.
This doesn't mean if you studied, you get an A+
Applying this to the question, Just because Gary goes doesnt mean Hilary needs to be involved.

You're thinking too hard... Just take the rules for what they are...

If Garry is not chosen, then Anna and Frank are chosen - If you don't pick Garry Anna and Frank are trucking along... Don't want that...Right? So then it seems like you HAVE to pick Garry... Okay so you pick Garry.. .That means that you didn't pick Hillary.. And since you didn't pick Hillary stupid ass Evan says he's coming with Garry... So that's a fail right there......Just take the rules for what they are.

-H ---> E
If not Hillary THEN Evan

This means that Garry STILL couldn't be alone.

Just look at it this way. Garry said he was going on a trip alone and he didn't want anyone with him. Since Evan found out that nobody else was going to be there, that meant his ex girlfriend Hillary wasn't going to be there either. So he decided to tag along with Garry because he knew Hillary wasn't going to be there.

It's a simple in and out game. Just diagram it, look at your rules, and x out the appropriate slots as you go. Did you diagram?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”