disparity between old and new PTs

mooseman2216

disparity between old and new PTs

Postby mooseman2216 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:23 pm

i diaged at a 163 not completely cold. i did maybe 5 practice logic games in the weeks beforehand. in the months after, i would be disappointed with a 169. i was averaging about a 171 with a 173 high.

then i get his new book of pt's. i have done 3 so far. 169.167,160(todays score!).

i am testing on monday. should i be worried? im not worried about nerves because i am an excellent test taker, but i am worried about not reaching my potential as evidenced by the older tests.

help?

albanach

Re: disparity between old and new PTs

Postby albanach » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:17 pm

mooseman2216 wrote:i diaged at a 163 not completely cold. i did maybe 5 practice logic games in the weeks beforehand. in the months after, i would be disappointed with a 169. i was averaging about a 171 with a 173 high.

then i get his new book of pt's. i have done 3 so far. 169.167,160(todays score!).

i am testing on monday. should i be worried? im not worried about nerves because i am an excellent test taker, but i am worried about not reaching my potential as evidenced by the older tests.

help?

The test has changed a lot over the years and you don't say which tests you have been doing nor do you tell us which test you did poorly on.

If you're scoring 170s on the 5x and 6x tests and got the 160 on a old test you can probably relax. If, however, you've been doing old tests and have these scores from recent ones, then you should think about being absent on Monday and testing in October.

mooseman2216

Postby mooseman2216 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:28 pm

my fault!

i was 170ing the 2x and 3x and not doing so hot on the 5x and 6x. i decided that im psyching myself out. if i perform even reasonably well on 61 tomorrow then i will sit. if not, i think i will defer to october.

thanks for the advice!

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:55 pm

I found breaking 170 on the older prep tests was a lot easier than on the newer preptests especially for someone like me whose worst section is RC. However, I think it varies individually depending on section strengths/weaknesses but anecdotally, the majority of people I've talked to find it harder to score higher on the newer tests.

If you've mainly practiced with older tests, I think you are doing yourself a disservice and if you do decide to take the test Monday, make sure that you are already signed up for October. Better safe than sorry.

Best of luck to you m8.

mooseman2216

Postby mooseman2216 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:22 am

thanks for the advice kevin! after doing some reading, ive sensed that the fact that the newer PTs are harder is the consensus around here. well see how i do tomorrow after i thoroughly reviewed my mistakes! i think the 161 (i misscored a question) is an outlier for sure. i havent missed more than 3 on LG in a very long time, but i messed up a whole game because i misread a rule!

i appreciate the support!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”