Last minute RC advice

Zach0901

Last minute RC advice

Postby Zach0901 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:38 pm

Hey everyone,

Just took my final PT for Mondays test. Really happy with half the resutls and really upset with the other half. I got a 174 which dont get me wrong is awesome, but the break down went LR= -0, LG = -0 and RC= -7! Now RC has always been hit or miss with me sometimes I get -2 other times its -8. Obviously Im not counting on getting perfect LR and LG sections so any advice on maybe the mindset to have going into RC or any minor adjustments people have made would be really helpful. Thanks and good luck for anyone testing Monday!

lakers3peat

Re: Last minute RC advice

Postby lakers3peat » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:59 pm

if u run low on time during RC, do the 3 regular passages first then tackle the CR last, looking for questions specific to one passage... dont know what else to tell ya other then that, im in the same boat =p

mac35352

Postby mac35352 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:08 pm

Good luck Monday!

lawyertobe1

Postby lawyertobe1 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:03 pm

LR= -0, LG = -0 and RC= -7

wow these are my dream numbers (I'm in for the October exam). LG and LR are very manageable for me, but the RC is driving me very crazy. Anyway, did you check the pattern of your mistakes? Maybe you don't like a particular kind of passages (like science passages)?

citykitty

Postby citykitty » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:08 pm

I think comparative passages are the easiest. If you're like me and short on time, I would do those first. The answers on those seem really obvious to me. But, we all have our strengths and weaknesses so YMMV. I don't usually run out of time on RC. I usually have extra. There are usually a few questions that give me fits (perhaps a role or a MP). I usually pick one, bubble it in, circle the Q, and then go back at the end and try to refine my answer. Good luck!

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:23 pm

Are you running low on time often, or is it just that you miss problems sometimes?

Zach0901

Postby Zach0901 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:21 am

Thanks everyone for the advice and to answer some questions. My main issue seems to be that since im analytical in nature (business is my first major) and used to reading for detail on holisitic question types like MP, function, or author would most likely agree I tend to spend WAY WAY WAY too much time making sure I have the right answer than going with my gut, this will happen and before I know it Ive spent 3 minutes on a question and then I need to rush through the rest. Im solid on law/comparitive/science passages but I notice I usually get maybe half or more wrong on Diversity/Humanities. So that combined with missing maybe 1 or 2 on one of the other passages kills me. Also this is the section im most time pressed. In LG I usually finish with 3-4 minutes to spare and LR I finish with about a minute of 1:30 but RC Im usually bubbling and just kind of rushing through the final question to meet the time limit

jortiz682

Postby jortiz682 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:38 am

I've found going from the passage w/the least questions to the passage w/the most questions is helpful. Allows me to try and bank some time on the shorter passages and use it on the last/longest one. Some people do it in reverse. Just a thought.

lakers3peat

Postby lakers3peat » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:02 pm

lol yes I do the complete opposite in my opinion...

also, try to prephrase your answers... think about what u think is going to be right before u read the answer choices because u can get caught up on trapdoor answers if u havent thought beforehand what ut hink it might be.

Zach0901

Postby Zach0901 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:14 pm

thanks guys, yeah I usually go with the longest just because of time reasons, Ive tried sorting by type and saving humanities for last but that doesnt seem to help. I guess the best thing I can do is just relax my head and hope it clicks on monday

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”