Practicing at a 168...

crumpetsandtea

Re: Practicing at a 168...

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:49 am

Tainted_Praise wrote:::Rolls eyes:: Welp... What works for some... May not work for others.

LOL I guarantee you that drilling 40 games 3 days before the test is not going to help you, at all. Mastering games is about understanding concepts, not doing drills over and over using the same faulty concepts/tricks that are making you miss 4 a section. Go through the LGB again if you really want to feel productive. Don't go through 40 games. I don't care how your mind works or who you are, that's not helpful for anyone. You can just now get through 3 3/4...maybe try working through 4 or 5 in a row in strict timing conditions before you go gung-ho and destroy your confidence with burnout.

It took you THREE WEEKS to get from 2 games to 3 3/4 games...how does it even make sense that doing 40 games in a row will magically prepare you for the test? You have 3 DAYS left. For the most part, if you don't get it by now, you're not going to magically get it by drilling like mad for the next 24 hours.

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:01 am

I can understand where OP is coming from because I tend to learn by repetition as well and a lot of my prep was just drilling the shit out of games. With that said, doing 40 games over a three day period is liable to result in some serious diminished returns. I think almost all of the high scorers that I've talked to have stressed the importance of taking it easy the week leading up to the test, I mean you've kind of passed the time frame of learning new concepts by Monday. I would just take a look at a few sections a day that gave you trouble and try to hash out exactly where your approach was wrong and what you would change on test day if you're confronted with the same sort of game/problem. I'm personally just going to do one more PT and and drill two or three games a day. GL
Last edited by Jack Smirks on Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

lakers3peat

Postby lakers3peat » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:20 am

I'm going to actually have to disagree with most of you in this thread. While I think that 40 is a bit extreme, doing a good amount of games before Monday may help you. I personally am going to do 5 games sections ---> so 20 games.

The reason I think it might help is sometimes you run into a game, especially in the newer ones, with a rule you have no clue what to do. Say a rule like: J comes before K or L comes before J but NOT BOTH. A rule that isn't frequently tested. You might have forgotten what to do in a situation like this so by practicing those 40 games, you encounter the frustration that might occur on test day and you prepare for a situation like this: you teach yourself not to panic/you reinforce your knowledge of how to diagram a NOT BOTH rule.

This is just my .02c as I am the type of person who does better with constant practice and learns from patterns/repetition. Go over the rare game types, circles games, pattern games, make sure you understand all the weird ones so that if a weird one pops up on Monday, you have just recently practiced it and you are ready for it.

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:22 am

lakers3peat wrote:I'm going to actually have to disagree with most of you in this thread. While I think that 40 is a bit extreme, doing a good amount of games before Monday may help you. I personally am going to do 5 games sections ---> so 20 games.

The reason I think it might help is sometimes you run into a game, especially in the newer ones, with a rule you have no clue what to do. Say a rule like: J comes before K or L comes before J but NOT BOTH. A rule that isn't frequently tested. You might have forgotten what to do in a situation like this so by practicing those 40 games, you encounter the frustration that might occur on test day and you prepare for a situation like this: you teach yourself not to panic/you reinforce your knowledge of how to diagram a NOT BOTH rule.

This is just my .02c as I am the type of person who does better with constant practice and learns from patterns/repetition. Go over the rare game types, circles games, pattern games, make sure you understand all the weird ones so that if a weird one pops up on Monday, you have just recently practiced it and you are ready for it.

Easy. NOT L > J > K.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:27 am

lakers3peat wrote:I'm going to actually have to disagree with most of you in this thread. While I think that 40 is a bit extreme, doing a good amount of games before Monday may help you. I personally am going to do 5 games sections ---> so 20 games.

o hai. u have a score? nos? kthxbai

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:50 am

lakers3peat wrote:This is just my .02c as I am the type of person who does better with constant practice and learns from patterns/repetition. Go over the rare game types, circles games, pattern games, make sure you understand all the weird ones so that if a weird one pops up on Monday, you have just recently practiced it and you are ready for it.

If you need to practice a game type before it appears on the exam, you're going to need some good luck based on the new types of LG they roll out pretty regularly now

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:57 am

incompetentia wrote:
lakers3peat wrote:This is just my .02c as I am the type of person who does better with constant practice and learns from patterns/repetition. Go over the rare game types, circles games, pattern games, make sure you understand all the weird ones so that if a weird one pops up on Monday, you have just recently practiced it and you are ready for it.

If you need to practice a game type before it appears on the exam, you're going to need some good luck based on the new types of LG they roll out pretty regularly now

I've been practicing some connect the dots just in case.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:26 am

naterj wrote:
incompetentia wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:32 am

naterj wrote:
incompetentia wrote:

You joke, but there have literally been some connect the dots games. See the Feb 92 LG section.

lakers3peat

Postby lakers3peat » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:58 am

sundance95 wrote:o hai. u have a score? nos? kthxbai

Ya I got 190. That makes my opinion more important yours.

PSUdevon wrote:Easy. NOT L > J > K.

fail troll?

incompetentia wrote:If you need to practice a game type before it appears on the exam, you're going to need some good luck based on the new types of LG they roll out pretty regularly now

I'm not really sure what you mean to be honest. I don't think there have been any "new types" per se. Most of the 'new ones' I've seen combine multiple types like grouping and sequencing together.

I'm not trying to imply by doing 40 games the OP will jump up 3 points or whatever but I don't see how practicing a bunch of different games will hurt. I've personally never felt "burnout" from doing too many logic games. They are called 'games' for a reason ;)

sundance95 wrote:You joke, but there have literally been some connect the dots games. See the Feb 92 LG section.

The metro stops game? i love that one lol. also a big fan of the zendu radar game becaues my diagram reminds me of the olympics.

GoldenGloves

Postby GoldenGloves » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:20 am

Tainted_Praise wrote:
incompetentia wrote:Have you done this sort of thing before and shown improvement?

Yes.

Are you suggesting you've already taken the exam? Otherwise, you haven't done anything close to this strategy before.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:26 am

lakers3peat wrote:I'm not trying to imply by doing 40 games the OP will jump up 3 points or whatever but I don't see how practicing a bunch of different games will hurt. I've personally never felt "burnout" from doing too many logic games. They are called 'games' for a reason ;)

I alluded to this in the thread you created - if you're knocking out LG at a consistent 100% accuracy rate, you might find -some- benefit by trying to drill for speed.

OP doesn't appear to be at this stage, and really doing several sections worth of LG when you're already not 100% solid on accuracy is a recipe for disaster.

Gizmo

Postby Gizmo » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:28 pm

Too much, too late.

/next

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:45 pm

lakers3peat wrote:
sundance95 wrote:o hai. u have a score? nos? kthxbai

Ya I got 190. That makes my opinion more important yours.

You missed the point. I'm not saying your advice is only as good as your score-I'm saying that you shouldn't be giving advice if you haven't taken an official administration because you are just speculating.
sundance95 wrote:You joke, but there have literally been some connect the dots games. See the Feb 92 LG section.

The metro stops game? i love that one lol. also a big fan of the zendu radar game becaues my diagram reminds me of the olympics.[/quote]
No, the chateaus.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”