Dumb mistakes

leche

Dumb mistakes

Postby leche » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:32 pm

Only days to go, and I am still making so many stupid, careless mistakes.

I went through the 10 LR questions I missed on PT 61. I attributed 2 of those misses to legitimately difficult questions. The rest were basically either a result of reading too quickly, misinterpreting a key phrase in either a stimulus or answer choice, or making too large of a logical leap (which upon review seemed glaringly obvious). A month ago I was doing better than I am now! I can't even attribute this to burnout because I was very careful to take lots of days off in between tests.

I guess I'm wondering if I have any hope of correcting these types of errors with only a few days left to prep. I know I'm capable based on the scores I was getting a month ago.

justbubbles

Re: Dumb mistakes

Postby justbubbles » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:31 pm

leche wrote:Only days to go, and I am still making so many stupid, careless mistakes.

I went through the 10 LR questions I missed on PT 61. I attributed 2 of those misses to legitimately difficult questions. The rest were basically either a result of reading too quickly, misinterpreting a key phrase in either a stimulus or answer choice, or making too large of a logical leap (which upon review seemed glaringly obvious). A month ago I was doing better than I am now! I can't even attribute this to burnout because I was very careful to take lots of days off in between tests.

I guess I'm wondering if I have any hope of correcting these types of errors with only a few days left to prep. I know I'm capable based on the scores I was getting a month ago.

+1

I agree word for word.

Same here. I've said this on another thread, but I'll say it again - before, as early as last week, I'd get almost perfect on LRs with maybe the odd -1, -2, -3 on LRs. Now I'm getting about -6 or -7 on LR. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Also, mind you, the LR on the newer PTs are far more challenging than than the PT50s and below, so you might find little solace in that.

But, like you, my mistakes have really been careless errors (eg. not reading the stem/stimulus carefully, eliminating correct answers without much though, etc). Pre-test jitters, I guess. :?

leche

Postby leche » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:27 pm

justbubbles wrote:Also, mind you, the LR on the newer PTs are far more challenging than than the PT50s and below, so you might find little solace in that.

I do try to remind myself of that, but there were plenty of newer ones I did fine on. I got a 173 on PT 53...I only missed 4 LR questions and 3 RC's. I wish I could reverse my score trends. A month ago I was so confident I was even considering applying to HYS...not anymore.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:38 pm

How long are you taking in your PT sections?

Do you have time to spare when you complete each section? If so, how much?

I was whizzing along at about 25-27 minute sections by the time I reached the end of my prep - and I found that the extra time was VERY useful for reading more deliberately and comprehending more fully on test day (rather than checking questions over once they had all been answered).

During PTs, I was averaging anywhere between 4-6 questions where I'd just do something idiotic (and some others where I had a decent leaning one way or another because of a misread).

leche

Postby leche » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:42 pm

incompetentia wrote:How long are you taking in your PT sections?

Do you have time to spare when you complete each section? If so, how much?

I was whizzing along at about 25-27 minute sections by the time I reached the end of my prep - and I found that the extra time was VERY useful for reading more deliberately and comprehending more fully on test day (rather than checking questions over once they had all been answered).

During PTs, I was averaging anywhere between 4-6 questions where I'd just do something idiotic (and some others where I had a decent leaning one way or another because of a misread).

Well I do usually have about 3 minutes to spare at the end, but the problem (at least on that last PT) was that I circled wrong answers so confidently that I didn't review the right questions. I was actually excited to score my test by the end, I thought I had done so well. I wanted to cry when I saw 165.

EDIT: I misread your advice (a pattern I can't seem to break!!). I would take it if I knew I had 8-10 minutes extra, but because I only usually have 3 or so minutes the slowing down idea is a little scary.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:47 pm

Even with three minutes, that's an extra 8 seconds per question that you can spend dissecting the stimulus.

Even if you end up with 1-2 at the end that you have to just quickly skim and take your best shot, 23/25 completed with 1-2 errors is much better than 25/25 completed with 5-7 errors.

It is kind of scary, but you're already in the position to do it.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”