June or Postpone

lilasiaboi
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:41 pm

June or Postpone

Postby lilasiaboi » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:06 pm

Here's my current situation. I'm currently registered for the June test date. I started studying 3 weeks ago, averaging 40 hours per week and taking 2 PTs a day. I scored a 161 on my first PT, but my scores have steadily increased. I've taken 14 PTs so far, and on my 6 most recent PTs, I've scored a 169, 166, 171, 163 (I completely messed up on one of the RC passages), 173, 170. (Note: the 6 most recent PTs that I took were PT50-55, which should be pretty recent, right?)

I have no problems with LG, for I usually get -0 or -2 at most. (However, I always barely finish the LG section) On LR, I usually get -1 to -3 each section, with ample time remaining. My main problem is the RC section, where I usually get -4 to -6. I spend around 3-4 minutes reading each passage, and around 5-6 minutes answering the questions. This usually leaves me only 5-6 minutes to finish the last passage, which is not good.

I want to try for T14 when I apply for law school in Fall, but I don't know if I will perform well enough on the June test. Should I postpone and try for the October test date or should I take a shot at the June test if I am aiming for T14? (current GPA is 3.90 at a top 20 undergraduate school and I will have 2 very good recs) If I take my chances with the June test, what's the best prep I can do in these last few days?

rcatmullnv
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:43 am

Re: June or Postpone

Postby rcatmullnv » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:46 pm

As far as I understand, RC has only gotten harder with the more recent tests (although I don't know the test number when the switch occured). If it was after #55, I'd probably suggest holding off. If RC is your weakest, and you're only going to encounter tougher questions, you might be putting yourself in a tough situation.

lilasiaboi
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:41 pm

Re: June or Postpone

Postby lilasiaboi » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:50 am

Yea, I've noticed that the RC has gotten harder in the more recent tests. I need to work on increasing my pace in the RC. I'm currently looking at 2 options.

1) Take the June LSAT. After the test, if I feel I did poorly, I will cancel and take the October test.
2) Withdraw from June test and take the October test.

The problem with the second option is that if for some reason I did poorly on the October test, I won't be able to retake the LSAT before I submit my early applications, if any. On the other hand, I don't know how significant a cancel on my report will look to law schools.

User avatar
Odd Future Wolf Gang
Posts: 1731
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:36 pm

Re: June or Postpone

Postby Odd Future Wolf Gang » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:05 pm

lilasiaboi wrote:On the other hand, I don't know how significant a cancel on my report will look to law schools.


one cancel doesnt mean anything to law schools.

from the Michigan site:

How does the Admissions Committee view canceled LSAT scores?
While one canceled score will not raise any red flags in an application evaluation, a pattern of canceled scores may cause some concern. (For one thing, it shows that you have been exposed to the test on multiple dates, and any subsequent score needs to be assessed with that in mind.) It can be helpful if you provide an explanation for your cancellations, but that is not required.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: addie1412, kindofcanuck and 15 guests