PDF PrepTests Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
JustSomebody

New

PDF PrepTests

Post by JustSomebody » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:14 pm

Basically, I have a lot of the PTs in PDF format on my computer.

Going through them, I have to keep scrolling continually, because I can't fit the entire page on my screen at once. If I were to take a timed PT in this manner, I'm worried that scrolling back and forth would take up too much of the 35-minute time limit.

However, I'd like to avoid paying a shitload in printing fees.

Do you think it's possible to take all the PTs from your computer, writing down your answers and doing scratch work on a separate piece of paper? Or would you say I should just print them out?

seancris

Silver

Re: PDF PrepTests

Post by seancris » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:17 pm

Go to kinkos and print them out. It would be preferable to buy the actual hard copies, but you definitely need the real thing in front of you. Doing logic games with scrap paper is one thing, trying to use the space (which is sometimes very minimal) once you've gotten used to scrap paper is another.

Mimic test conditions as close to 100% as humanly possible when taking PTs. Conditions make a difference.

rcatmullnv

New

Post by rcatmullnv » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:37 pm

Print them out. Like you, I had originally started "trying" to take my practice tests by looking at them on a PDF and writing the answers down. I found it really tough, especially for RC to keep track of everything. By not having the material in front of you, it presents major difficulty if you want to diagram a RC section. Additionally, you can forget which answers are contenders/losers by not marking them on the paper. There are other reasons I could go into, but the above mentioned were the two greatest difficulties I had.

Good luck!

bhan87

Silver

Post by bhan87 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:57 pm

Scour craigslist for an old laser printer under the free section. Find somewhere local that can refill toner cartridges. Print all the tests out.

justbubbles

Bronze

Post by justbubbles » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:58 pm

I've been doing my PTs on the laptop for a while now, because most all my PTs are on PDF.

Breakdown by section:

LG -

Obviously most of us need scrap paper to do this, so I just stare at the screen and work out all the scenarios on scrap paper.

RC -

Yah, I agree with the posters above. This, IMO, is the most difficult one to do through PDFs because I find myself keep going back to the passage, stuff that I would normally underscore/circle/highlight/etc. on the real thing. :?

LR -

This I don't mind. It's much like reading a news site on the web or something. Moreover, I prefer LRs on the laptop, because I am pretty mobile, therefore whether at the library, coffee shop or just about elsewhere, I just do a few LR questions just to keep my pace reaching up to the test.

Overall -

There are pros and cons, but if one is computer savvy and versatile, PDFs aren't all that bad except some obvious limitations.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jeninamillion

New

Post by jeninamillion » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:25 pm

I actually ended up getting pdf versions of tests 42 to 60 something too. I printed all of them out using my hp inkjet, and I didn't even finish one 74XL cartridge. I don't think it would be that bad to print them out...

CoriOlivia

New

Post by CoriOlivia » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:43 pm

The print shop on my campus has lots of printing specials throughout the month - .03/page on Mondays, .01/page on the first monday of the month, etc. It isn't limited to students so I would look around to see if there's somewhere cheap near you to print them all out if you don't have a good printer. I have a sucky old one and it's still not too bad printing them. I do wish I would've considered the cost of ink in when buying PTs... Oh well.

suspicious android

Silver

Post by suspicious android » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:19 pm

Scrimping on preparation for the most important part of you application to a $150,000 law school to save maybe 100 bucks in printing fees? Not a great plan.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:21 pm

Plus getting used to having an entire sheet of scrap paper for LG when all you'll have is whatever empty space there is on the test booklet page isn't wise.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”