How much does a PT score really mean? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
splitster1221

New

How much does a PT score really mean?

Post by splitster1221 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:37 pm

Based on past experiences, how much stock can be put into the average score a person is PTing at? I know that a PT score is nowhere near guaranteeing a given score on the real test, but have people for the most part been able to acheive a real LSAT score within a 3 point range of their PT or something like that? Just looking for some info, thanks.

risktaker

Silver

Re: How much does a PT score really mean?

Post by risktaker » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:44 pm

It differs for each person. It really just comes down to how well you can handle test nerves/anxiety. If you can handle that pretty well, you will score within +/- 3 of your avg PT, but if you cannot do that then it is a toss up. I was seven points off from my PT avg and this happened to me 3 times on the real LSAT. Nothing I could do about it. Just find a way to control your nerves.

splitster1221

New

Post by splitster1221 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:47 pm

risktaker wrote:It differs for each person. It really just comes down to how well you can handle test nerves/anxiety. If you can handle that pretty well, you will score within +/- 3 of your avg PT, but if you cannot do that then it is a toss up. I was seven points off from my PT avg and this happened to me 3 times on the real LSAT. Nothing I could do about it. Just find a way to control your nerves.
Thanks for the quick response. This might sound stupid, but since these practice tests are actual old tests (I know the tests varies, if only slightly, over time), the PT scores should be accurate in terms of test difficulty right? And the only difference on test day would be nerves/anxiety, different surrounding, pressure?

risktaker

Silver

Post by risktaker » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:02 pm

Actually, over the years, the general consensus seems to be that the test has got a bit harder. I scored higher on the really old tests, but my score started dropping towards the newer tests. The LG has got easier, the LR has stayed about the same (stimulus in LR is not as long these days), and RC has got a lot harder. It depends on what your strengths are. I found the newer tests to be harder overall because I suck at RC. There really is no easy way to improve at RC. I averaged like -12 on RC section alone on the three real LSAT's that I took. I would most likely have scored a 165 or so if it were not for my heinous RC score. Ended up with a 157.

Just try to take the test in noisy places as well, which might help you on test day even if something unusual happens. Good luck!

jeninamillion

New

Post by jeninamillion » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:22 pm

I think it also depends on the conditions under which you take the PTs. You need to be honest with yourself and not give yourself extra time, breaks, and etc. that you won't get on test day.

suspicious android

Silver

Post by suspicious android » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:23 pm

Focus on your section score, not scaled score. -2, -1, -5, -3 is much more useful to think about than 170, especially for older material.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”