Page 1 of 3

I hate LSAC...

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:28 pm
by ScrabbleChamp
Although this may come off as a bit petty, I find it to be incredibly annoying. Below is a picture of the classroom I'll be taking the LSAT in on Monday. Note the size of the desk attached to the chair. I actually went to the room today a few hours ago and put PT60 on the desk... the desk wasn't large enough to accommodate the test booklet while open. WTF was the school thinking? The size of the desk is going to cost test takers a few points just due to the time alone it will take to have to shuffle between your answer sheet and test booklet. Not to mention, the desk is not large enough to accommodate a watch, if you wanted to put one on the desk, etc... Oh, and of course, LSAC told me that there are not requirements for a testing center other than the site must have proctors eligible to proctor the exam, the exam must be indoors, and a desk, no matter the size, must be provided to test takers.

Image

Edit... image tag not working, here is a link... http://usfweb2.usf.edu/cts/AVTutorial/CWY-109.html

Re: I hate LSAC...

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:34 pm
by InLikeFlint
There is no image of the desk...

Re: I hate LSAC...

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:35 pm
by ScrabbleChamp
InLikeFlint wrote:There is no image of the desk...


Click the link... img tag not working for some reason.

Re: I hate LSAC...

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:38 pm
by Ginj
HEY. We're taking the LSAT in the same place. We should schedule a high five.

Re: I hate LSAC...

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:40 pm
by ScrabbleChamp
Ginj wrote:HEY. We're taking the LSAT in the same place. We should schedule a high five.


Deal... but only if I feel that I've done as well as I should. How do you feel about the limited desk space... Seriously, USF, seriously?

Re: I hate LSAC...

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:42 pm
by Ginj
I hadn't even thought about it before this thread, though I had scoped out the website a bit. I've been more concerned with finding the damn place. Now I'm starting to come up with some sort of juggling routine to switch back and forth between the answer sheet and test booklet. So much pressure.

Re: I hate LSAC...

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:43 pm
by bartleby
can't you bring a board to the classroom to place on the desk? i think i read that somewhere

Re: I hate LSAC...

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:46 pm
by ScrabbleChamp
Ginj wrote:I hadn't even thought about it before this thread, though I had scoped out the website a bit. I've been more concerned with finding the damn place. Now I'm starting to come up with some sort of juggling routine to switch back and forth between the answer sheet and test booklet. So much pressure.


It's near the Sun Dome, which is nice, since it has it's own parking area. It is going to be annoying, and unnecessarily time-consuming, to have to switch back and forth between booklet and exam sheet. And, an RC, it's going to suck because you can't really fit the entire booklet on the desk, so you'll have to constantly shift the test booklet back and forth from questions to passage. I'm going to do a PT today where I just answer all the questions and bubble everything in the last 3 minutes, as that will be the least time consuming and most practical given the exam setting.

Re: I hate LSAC...

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:47 pm
by ScrabbleChamp
bartleby wrote:can't you bring a board to the classroom to place on the desk? i think i read that somewhere


If you can source it, I'll be on my way to Home Depot.

Re: I hate LSAC...

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:47 pm
by jump_man
Yeah, that's really too bad . . . I don't know what techniques you've been using for your practice tests but you might save time bubbling in answers if you circle the answers in your book and then bubble your answers after every page (or every two page spread) - this will save time transferring between your test book and answer sheet.

Maybe you can get the proctor to project a clock onto the fancy screen in the front of the class?

Re: I hate LSAC...

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:48 pm
by BackToTheOldHouse
I actually paid the stupid fee to LSAC to change the location of my LSAT once I realized the location I initially had chosen had stupid desks like the one you're testing at. The location I switched to had huge tables with more than enough space for everyone.

Re: I hate LSAC...

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:53 pm
by ScrabbleChamp
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:I actually paid the stupid fee to LSAC to change the location of my LSAT once I realized the location I initially had chosen had stupid desks like the one you're testing at. The location I switched to had huge tables with more than enough space for everyone.


The location on my ticket just appeared today, so I wasn't aware of the problem before the location change date. I called LSAC but it is too late to change now, no exceptions.

Re: I hate LSAC...

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:54 pm
by Ginj
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:I actually paid the stupid fee to LSAC to change the location of my LSAT once I realized the location I initially had chosen had stupid desks like the one you're testing at. The location I switched to had huge tables with more than enough space for everyone.


Too late for that now, unfortunately.

Scrabble, if you sit in front of me and allow me to use your back as a writing surface, I will allow you to use my calf.

Re: I hate LSAC...

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:58 pm
by Jeffort
It's the curse of the flap-up mini-desks. Those things suck. Since they tilt and pencils roll downhill, bring a big heavy eraser to use as a blocker and paperweight so your stuff doesn't fall onto the floor and your pencils don't roll down a few aisles under the seats. Stab your extra pencils into your eraser to keep them put if necessary.

Re: I hate LSAC...

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:59 pm
by ScrabbleChamp
Ginj wrote:Too late for that now, unfortunately.

Scrabble, if you sit in front of me and allow me to use your back as a writing surface, I will allow you to use my calf.


Deal... but only if you shower and smell good before the exam... I can't be having smelly feet affecting my performance.

Re: I hate LSAC...

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:59 pm
by Ginj
ScrabbleChamp wrote:
Ginj wrote:Too late for that now, unfortunately.

Scrabble, if you sit in front of me and allow me to use your back as a writing surface, I will allow you to use my calf.


Deal... but only if you shower and smell good before the exam... I can't be having smelly feet affecting my performance.


You're in luck, because my feet smell like flowers and happiness.

Re: I hate LSAC...

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:02 pm
by ScrabbleChamp
Jeffort wrote:It's the curse of the flap-up mini-desks. Those things suck. Since they tilt and pencils roll downhill, bring a big heavy eraser to use as a blocker and paperweight so your stuff doesn't fall onto the floor and your pencils don't roll down a few aisles under the seats. Stab your extra pencils into your eraser to keep them put if necessary.


Nice call. I wonder if they would care if I brought this to the exam: --ImageRemoved--

Re: I hate LSAC...

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:02 pm
by tmon
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:I actually paid the stupid fee to LSAC to change the location of my LSAT once I realized the location I initially had chosen had stupid desks like the one you're testing at. The location I switched to had huge tables with more than enough space for everyone.


Did the same thing, except worse:
Decided to switch test centers after realizing the desks would suck and paid that fee, THEN decided to postpone to October and paid ANOTHER fee. Damn indecisiveness.

Re: I hate LSAC...

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:03 pm
by ScrabbleChamp
Ginj wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:
Ginj wrote:Too late for that now, unfortunately.

Scrabble, if you sit in front of me and allow me to use your back as a writing surface, I will allow you to use my calf.


Deal... but only if you shower and smell good before the exam... I can't be having smelly feet affecting my performance.


You're in luck, because my feet smell like flowers and happiness.


Awesome... the flowers/happiness smell may actually make up for the lack of space... This may actually turn out better than I thought... 180 here I come!

Re: I hate LSAC...

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:24 pm
by dasani13
Can't you bring your own desk?

Re: I hate LSAC...

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:27 pm
by ScrabbleChamp
dasani13 wrote:Can't you bring your own desk?


If it is possible, I will. I just don't know where that information is coming from.

Re: I hate LSAC...

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:32 pm
by Jeffort
ScrabbleChamp wrote:
Jeffort wrote:It's the curse of the flap-up mini-desks. Those things suck. Since they tilt and pencils roll downhill, bring a big heavy eraser to use as a blocker and paperweight so your stuff doesn't fall onto the floor and your pencils don't roll down a few aisles under the seats. Stab your extra pencils into your eraser to keep them put if necessary.


Nice call. I wonder if they would care if I brought this to the exam: --ImageRemoved--


IDK what that is, it looks like a piece of what was left behind at the UBL compound.

The LSAC regs used to allow people to bring in a wood flat-board to deal with small desks but there is no mention of that in the allowed items list anymore.

Re: I hate LSAC...

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:38 pm
by ScrabbleChamp
Jeffort wrote:IDK what that is, it looks like a piece of what was left behind at the UBL compound.

The LSAC regs used to allow people to bring in a wood flat-board to deal with small desks but there is no mention of that in the allowed items list anymore.


It is a leather-covered steel desk pad from Ikea. I looked at my LSAC ticket and this is what it says:

Test takers may bring into the test room only a clear plastic ziplock bag, maximum size one gallon (3.79 liter), which must be stored under the chair and may be accessed only during the break. The sealed ziplock bag may contain only the following items: LSAT Admission Ticket stub; valid ID; wallet; keys; analog (nondigital) wristwatch; medical or hygiene products; #2 or HB wooden pencils, a highlighter, erasers, pencil sharpener (no mechanical pencils); tissues; and beverage in plastic container or juice box (20 oz./591 ml maximum size) and snack for break only. No aluminum cans permitted.

My guess is that boards/desktops/etc... are no longer allowed.

Re: I hate LSAC...

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:46 pm
by Can'texplainthat
ScrabbleChamp wrote:
Jeffort wrote:IDK what that is, it looks like a piece of what was left behind at the UBL compound.

The LSAC regs used to allow people to bring in a wood flat-board to deal with small desks but there is no mention of that in the allowed items list anymore.


It is a leather-covered steel desk pad from Ikea. I looked at my LSAC ticket and this is what it says:

Test takers may bring into the test room only a clear plastic ziplock bag, maximum size one gallon (3.79 liter), which must be stored under the chair and may be accessed only during the break. The sealed ziplock bag may contain only the following items: LSAT Admission Ticket stub; valid ID; wallet; keys; analog (nondigital) wristwatch; medical or hygiene products; #2 or HB wooden pencils, a highlighter, erasers, pencil sharpener (no mechanical pencils); tissues; and beverage in plastic container or juice box (20 oz./591 ml maximum size) and snack for break only. No aluminum cans permitted.

My guess is that boards/desktops/etc... are no longer allowed.


Why are no aluminum cans permitted?

Re: I hate LSAC...

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:48 pm
by ScrabbleChamp
Can'texplainthat wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:
Jeffort wrote:IDK what that is, it looks like a piece of what was left behind at the UBL compound.

The LSAC regs used to allow people to bring in a wood flat-board to deal with small desks but there is no mention of that in the allowed items list anymore.


It is a leather-covered steel desk pad from Ikea. I looked at my LSAC ticket and this is what it says:

Test takers may bring into the test room only a clear plastic ziplock bag, maximum size one gallon (3.79 liter), which must be stored under the chair and may be accessed only during the break. The sealed ziplock bag may contain only the following items: LSAT Admission Ticket stub; valid ID; wallet; keys; analog (nondigital) wristwatch; medical or hygiene products; #2 or HB wooden pencils, a highlighter, erasers, pencil sharpener (no mechanical pencils); tissues; and beverage in plastic container or juice box (20 oz./591 ml maximum size) and snack for break only. No aluminum cans permitted.

My guess is that boards/desktops/etc... are no longer allowed.


Why are no aluminum cans permitted?


Because there is already enough pressure in the room? (Yeah, I know, bad joke)