June VS October LSAT

rcatmullnv

June VS October LSAT

Postby rcatmullnv » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:57 am

Firstly, I'm extremely bummed I only just discovered these forums. I wish I would've discovered you guys a couple of months ago!

I'm currently registered for the June LSAT. My diagnostic was a 158. I only started seriously studying about 1.5 months ago (bad, I know). I went up to a 165 after reviewing all of the bibles, and then inexplicably started consistently scoring around 157 again. I went back to the books and reviewed them. Since then, my previous 2 practice tests have been a 162 and 163. My ideal school is University of Utah (top 40, where I want to live, etc.) which looks for an LSAT in the 158-160s range. I'm right where I need to be. Side note: considering all other things, I graduated from the University of Las Vegas with Summa Cum Laude and University Honors. Further, I have a Judge's and Dean's recommendation which should all help my application.

Scholarships is really my major concern. I imagine if I scored 170+, I could lock myself in for some nice scholarships. My scores right now, if I can pull them off for the actual test, should get me in to University of Utah no problem. In the past couple of days, I'm starting to really understand the patterns of the tests and how to execute the right strategies. If I had another 3-4 weeks, I think I could increase my score several points. Additionally, if I scored 170+, I'd definitely look into applying to some higher ranked schools.

Should I back out of the June LSAT, study more, and take the October LSAT? My major hang-ups with this approach is 1) early registration and 2) parental forces hammering on me to get it done now. If I don't get my ideal score this time (let's say I scored a 160), I could always take it again in October. However, as far as I understand it, taking the LSAT twice is generally unadvised.

Thanks in advance, and sorry about the block of text! Now I know where you guys are hiding when I need tips for putting together my application :)

mottainai

Re: June VS October LSAT

Postby mottainai » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:30 am

It sounds like you're looking for confirmation of what you already know.

Take it in October, maximize your potential, and knock it out of the park. Finish everything before you take the test, so that when you get your scores back, you can send out your apps.

rcatmullnv

Postby rcatmullnv » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:39 am

I guess my two biggest questions are:

1) Is taking the LSAT twice something that should be absolutely avoided? How much will it affect my application if I go from a 16x to a 17x?

2) How much of an advantage do I lose by applying to law school after the October tests versus applying as soon as applications open up?

Another factor that has me cocnerned with taking it in October: I'm moving to Salt Lake City in August and starting a new full-time job. I'm worried that I may be too distracted or preoccupied with getting this settled that I will not be able to devote the appropriate time towards the LSAT *and* getting my application ready.

In a sense, I am looking for confirmation of what I already know. My biggest issue is having to explain to my parents that I won't be taking the LSAT like I promised I would. However, as long as I have some other opinions and can assure them that I will still be going to law school for Fall 2012, I'd hope they would understand.

mottainai

Postby mottainai » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:01 am

rcatmullnv wrote:I guess my two biggest questions are:

1) Is taking the LSAT twice something that should be absolutely avoided? How much will it affect my application if I go from a 16x to a 17x?

2) How much of an advantage do I lose by applying to law school after the October tests versus applying as soon as applications open up?

Another factor that has me cocnerned with taking it in October: I'm moving to Salt Lake City in August and starting a new full-time job. I'm worried that I may be too distracted or preoccupied with getting this settled that I will not be able to devote the appropriate time towards the LSAT *and* getting my application ready.

In a sense, I am looking for confirmation of what I already know. My biggest issue is having to explain to my parents that I won't be taking the LSAT like I promised I would. However, as long as I have some other opinions and can assure them that I will still be going to law school for Fall 2012, I'd hope they would understand.

1. Not necessarily. Of course, it's better to ace it on your first try, but most schools will take the higher score. If you do jump from a 160 to a 170, then you may have to write an addendum, but you should be ok (I jumped from a 160 to a 170 myself). Note: MOST schools. If you're aiming for T6, then you might want to reconsider.

2. To my knowledge, your chances would be impacted only slightly. I haven't actually gone through the application process myself yet, but that's what I hear.

However, if you're a person who gets nervous during test taking situations, then you might want to give yourself and extra chance. Just remember that you probably won't max your score out on the first try. Don't be satisfied with a mediocre score.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”