Having issues setting up this analytical reason question.

nsv

Having issues setting up this analytical reason question.

Postby nsv » Tue May 31, 2011 5:05 pm

I am having issues setting up this question.

Here are the set of conditions -

A college dean will present seven awards for outstanding language research. The awards -- one for French, one for German, one for Hebrew, one for Japanese, one for Korean, one for Latin, and one for Swahili -- must be presented consecutively, one at a time, in conformity with the following constraints:
The German award is not presented first.
The Hebrew award is presented at some time before the Korean award is presented.
The Latin award is presented at some time before the Japanese award is presented.
The French award is presented either immediately before or immediately after the Hebrew ward is presented.
The Korean award is presented either immediately before or immediately after the Latin award is presented.

Stoic

Re: Having issues setting up this analytical reason question.

Postby Stoic » Tue May 31, 2011 5:16 pm

nsv wrote:I am having issues setting up this question.

Here are the set of conditions -

A college dean will present seven awards for outstanding language research. The awards -- one for French, one for German, one for Hebrew, one for Japanese, one for Korean, one for Latin, and one for Swahili -- must be presented consecutively, one at a time, in conformity with the following constraints:
The German award is not presented first.
The Hebrew award is presented at some time before the Korean award is presented.
The Latin award is presented at some time before the Japanese award is presented.
The French award is presented either immediately before or immediately after the Hebrew ward is presented.
The Korean award is presented either immediately before or immediately after the Latin award is presented.

This one seems pretty straight forward. Set up a vertical diagram number 1 through 7.

The conditions are straight forward as well.

G cannot be 1st.
H > K
L > J
HF or FH (I can't write it how I would if I was diagramming it on here but you can't the idea)
KL or LK

One can then deduce that H > L. And by extension F > L/K. And furthermore, L/K > J.

So basically H/F > L/K > J

S is a variable that can go anywhere but in between H and F or L and K because both pairs come consecutively.

Paraflam

Postby Paraflam » Tue May 31, 2011 5:32 pm

Somebody correct me if this is wrong. Sorry for the handwriting.
--ImageRemoved--

Stoic

Postby Stoic » Tue May 31, 2011 11:47 pm

Paraflam wrote:Somebody correct me if this is wrong. Sorry for the handwriting.
--ImageRemoved--

Perfect. I got too lazy to state it all.

nsv

Postby nsv » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:26 am

Thank you for the quick responses. I am still not clear on part of the setup, "One can then deduce that H > L. And by extension F > L/K. And furthermore, L/K > J." What is the fastest way to deduce H > L? Is it directly from these two conditions - "The Hebrew award is presented at some time before the Korean award is presented" and "The Korean award is presented either immediately before or immediately after the Latin award is presented"?

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:32 am

nsv wrote:Thank you for the quick responses. I am still not clear on part of the setup, "One can then deduce that H > L. And by extension F > L/K. And furthermore, L/K > J." What is the fastest way to deduce H > L? Is it directly from these two conditions - "The Hebrew award is presented at some time before the Korean award is presented" and "The Korean award is presented either immediately before or immediately after the Latin award is presented"?

Yes, that's how to do it.

Paraflam

Postby Paraflam » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:58 am

Kabuo wrote:
nsv wrote:Thank you for the quick responses. I am still not clear on part of the setup, "One can then deduce that H > L. And by extension F > L/K. And furthermore, L/K > J." What is the fastest way to deduce H > L? Is it directly from these two conditions - "The Hebrew award is presented at some time before the Korean award is presented" and "The Korean award is presented either immediately before or immediately after the Latin award is presented"?

Yes, that's how to do it.

+1

If H > K, and L is either immediately before or after K, there is no space for H to come in between K and L. The closest you can come is: HKL or HLK.

LHK Doesn't work because K and L are not placed consecutively.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”