Discouraging

eokpo001

Discouraging

Postby eokpo001 » Mon May 30, 2011 3:50 pm

Good Day Everyone

Before anyone begins to reply to this entry with pessimism please understand that I am just as down on my self as your pessimistic response will gear towards my goal of attaining a J.D Degree. Let me start with a little background info. I am 20 years old and a recent graduate of a large VA public school. I am of African decent. My parents brought me and my siblings to the state in order that we may pursue our academic dreams. My Dads goal in life is too see us all do well academically and make great lives and careers of our own. Well 3/4 of his kids have done just that. They have engineering degrees and all work for General Electrics and doing really well for themselves. Well its my turn. I am the youngest and I guess the dumbest. I went the Liberal Arts route. Granted ever since I was a child, I always had this vision for my country. My dad was into politics and was a politician so even as a 5 year old I had insight largely because it was interesting to me and I remember clinging on to my dad and asking him to teach me about the ins and out of it all. The burning desires I have of being an attorney has grown ever since. I view my J.D degree as a ticket to be able to accomplish my goals in life politically back in Nigeria. Well this is my story in synopsis. Now for the obstacles I currently face.

My UGPA is a 2.75 and the first diagnostic test I took last night was a 140 and it wasn't timed. I'll be taking my first LSAT ever come October. Needless to say I am devastated because I realize with my UGPA, I need to crank out a 160 to go to a respectable school and get some scholarship money. I had my first meeting with my Prelaw advisor last Wednesday and we spoke about a number of things. I let her know that I was to begin my prepping right away and she told me to take a diagnostic test which I did yesterday. Because I don't want to be out of school for long, I am shooting for spring, and latest fall semester to start law school. She gave me a few schools to look into in which she thought I should be able to get into. She wants me to apply to South Texas School of Law, University of Dayton School of Law, University of Richmond School of Law and Depaul. She believes that if i got in the 150's ill be OK and a with a 160 I could reach even more with my school choice and get some money as well. At the moment however even though I have over 4 months to prep, that diagnostic test score has been on my mind and I am really crushed. I feel like a failure. I understand in order to be successful sometimes failure is necessary but I refuse to fail and that is one thing that scares me the most in life is failure. In essence, I am asking for advise on what to do. I know I posses the capabilities to do well in law school. Whatever I put my mind too I do it and I do it well. However, I tend to doubt myself and it kills my spirit. I refuse to let it be the case this time. All I need do is get my foot in a law school and I believe in my abilities that Ill do well. The motivation towards my main goal alone in life will push me to do well.

In short, I believe my application will be solid. I am getting three solid LOR's. 1 from my prelaw advisor who is a former district attorney, One from the head of my department and one from a city of Norfolk official in which I did my internship. My PS is also going to be solid since I pride myself as a good writer and I also believe I have a compelling story to tell about my life journey. I say all of this to say this, what advice can you guys give me in order to get my score in the 155-165 range.

Thank you very much and I appreciate every helpful response.

soaponarope

Re: Discouraging

Postby soaponarope » Mon May 30, 2011 3:55 pm

enroll in a prep course "Princeton review" or "Kaplan". A lot of posters will say it's not worth the money, but you need it... If you're like me, you need someone to force you to practice and master the LSAT. My 1st practice LSAT (raw score) was a 142. By the time I was done prepping over the summer I scored in the 157- 161 range. On test day I scored a 158. Not great, but respectable score which got me into several law schools.

eokpo001

Postby eokpo001 » Mon May 30, 2011 3:59 pm

If you don't mind me asking, what was your GPA like and how exactly did you study when you "self studied". I plan on doing a prep course with power score come august. Everything else will be self study but that could be overwhelming. Thank by the way for the response.

P.S: what schools did you get into.

soaponarope

Postby soaponarope » Mon May 30, 2011 4:09 pm

eokpo001 wrote:If you don't mind me asking, what was your GPA like and how exactly did you study when you "self studied". I plan on doing a prep course with power score come august. Everything else will be self study but that could be overwhelming. Thank by the way for the response.

P.S: what schools did you get into.

My undergrad CUM GPA was a 3.05 (very meh)... however, I finished very strong during my undergrad (3.7 and 3.8 to bring it up to a 3.05. So, the adcoms saw I was on the rise. For the LSAT, my self studying involved using the materials and books provided by my prep course. Every Saturday we had a practice test. So... like I said before, the class forces you to study (unless you don't mind wasting 1k on a prep course).

I was accepted to UM (Miami), Stetson, and a bunch of tier 3's with money. I was denied at a bunch of schools. However, I applied late in the game (I took the February lsat) so I'm sure that didn't help my chances.

Keep your chin up. Make sure you study early in the morning (LSAT test is in the a.m. so get used to it). Best of luck.

eokpo001

Postby eokpo001 » Mon May 30, 2011 6:36 pm

Thank, I really appreciate it.

eokpo001

Postby eokpo001 » Tue May 31, 2011 8:53 pm

Can anyone suggest to me what they think is the most efficient prep course to take.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue May 31, 2011 10:53 pm

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=151670

Head over there - it's a great compendium of information on all the test prep companies, first person accounts, reviews, etc...

buckythebadger

Postby buckythebadger » Tue May 31, 2011 11:19 pm

There is a flaw in your reasoning in the argument that you make. Your conclusion contradicts your premises. (once you start prepping you'll understand this as a joke).

In all seriousness, you have a major advantage being a URM. If you can get a score in the 160's you can get into some pretty decent T1 schools. http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/

You shouldn't be discouraged by your intial diagnostic. Many people make significant improvements in their score. Look over pithypikes guide, theres also plenty of information on this site on how to self study. Take plenty of practice tests and purchase both the Logic Games Bible and Logic Reasoning Bible. There is still plenty of time for you to get the score your looking for.

CoriOlivia

Postby CoriOlivia » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:50 am

I would not worry too much over your diagnostic score. I've seen a couple of threads here asking diagnostic vs. actual scores and the difference is different for everyone. If you put in the time studying, you should not have a problem getting it high enough to get into law school. If your career goals don't include working in biglaw, you don't necessarily have to go to the "highest-rated" school. I would look at schools in areas you wouldn't mind living for 3 years.

Also, I know you said you consider yourself a strong writer. Still, please have several people proofread all of your essays. Some of your wording in this topic (even if you had not mentioned your dad bringing you to this country as a child) jumps out as someone who does not have the best English. I'm sure your prelaw advisor can give you tips on writing your statements and/or suggest someone to help with them. You have a wonderful story to tell about your life so please don't let a few misplaced words or incorrectly-written sentences screw it up.

Best of luck to you!

eokpo001

Postby eokpo001 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:28 pm

Thanks for all of the encouraging words.

seancris

Postby seancris » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:06 pm

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”