on the lighter side of the LSAT, what should we eat?

omeezy4sheezy

on the lighter side of the LSAT, what should we eat?

Postby omeezy4sheezy » Mon May 30, 2011 1:14 pm

Specifically what should one eat the morning of, before the test and during break?

I was thinking a mix between protein/carbs, something like a roast beef sandwich before and a protein bar with like 20-25 carbs during break..what do you guys think?

I heard eating too much carbs can make you feel a bit drowsy too.

510Chicken

Re: on the lighter side of the LSAT, what should we eat?

Postby 510Chicken » Mon May 30, 2011 1:20 pm

--ImageRemoved-- + Image

coldshoulder

Postby coldshoulder » Mon May 30, 2011 1:24 pm

Four locos.
Take test.
???
Profit.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Mon May 30, 2011 1:27 pm

Don't eat anything you don't normally. If you haven't eaten it while PTing, don't eat it during the real thing.

omeezy4sheezy

Postby omeezy4sheezy » Mon May 30, 2011 1:32 pm

incompetentia wrote:Don't eat anything you don't normally. If you haven't eaten it while PTing, don't eat it during the real thing.

Good point, I usually eat a sandwich on the way to the library before writing a PT (an hour commute) and usually just eating a protein bar/water + possibly two bars during break so I'll stick to that...thanks!

Off-topic question, but I've found that my score goes up significantly (2-4pts) whenever I use earplugs. I've had really sensitive hearing my entire life and it's a noticeable distraction throughout too. I called LSAC today, but it's memorial day in the US so its closed, but do you think there's any chance that they'd let me use them?

I was thinking of proposing that a proctor (assuming that there will be more than one) would tap my shoulder for the 5 minute warning and putting their hand or something on my scantron when time is up.

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Mon May 30, 2011 1:43 pm

omeezy4sheezy wrote:
incompetentia wrote:Don't eat anything you don't normally. If you haven't eaten it while PTing, don't eat it during the real thing.

Good point, I usually eat a sandwich on the way to the library before writing a PT (an hour commute) and usually just eating a protein bar/water + possibly two bars during break so I'll stick to that...thanks!

Off-topic question, but I've found that my score goes up significantly (2-4pts) whenever I use earplugs. I've had really sensitive hearing my entire life and it's a noticeable distraction throughout too. I called LSAC today, but it's memorial day in the US so its closed, but do you think there's any chance that they'd let me use them?

I was thinking of proposing that a proctor (assuming that there will be more than one) would tap my shoulder for the 5 minute warning and putting their hand or something on my scantron when time is up.

"Items Prohibited at the Test Center

You may not bring into the testing center any of the following:

* electronic timers of any kind
* digital watches, alarm watches, beeping watches, calculator watches
* cell phones, pay phones, beepers, pagers, personal digital assistants (PDAs)
* personal computers
* calculators
* photographic or recording devices
* listening devices
* headsets, iPods, or other media players
* books, dictionaries, papers of any kind
* rulers, slide rules, compasses
* mechanical pencils
* briefcases, handbags, backpacks
* earplugs
* hats/hoods (except religious apparel) may not be worn on the head
* weapons or firearms"

Sorry, not gonna happen.

Postby 071816 » Mon May 30, 2011 1:56 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Mon May 30, 2011 1:57 pm

omeezy4sheezy wrote:Specifically what should one eat the morning of, before the test and during break?

I was thinking a mix between protein/carbs, something like a roast beef sandwich before and a protein bar with like 20-25 carbs during break..what do you guys think?

I heard eating too much carbs can make you feel a bit drowsy too.

simple carbs=drowsy

complex carbs + protein= light bulbs

omeezy4sheezy

Postby omeezy4sheezy » Mon May 30, 2011 2:03 pm

NCtoDC wrote: * earplugs
* weapons or firearms"

Sorry, not gonna happen.

Yeah I know that they don't allow it, but I actually have a doctors note that states I have really sensitive hearing. Would that not have an influence at all in their decision to let me wear them? Even with the suggestion I gave?

Corwin

Postby Corwin » Mon May 30, 2011 2:24 pm

omeezy4sheezy wrote:
* weapons or firearms"

Sorry, not gonna happen.

Yeah I know that they don't allow it, but I actually have a doctors note that states I have really sensitive hearing. Would that not have an influence at all in their decision to let me wear them? Even with the suggestion I gave?

From my understanding, such medical accommodations are really hard to get and need to be done far in advance anyway. You can't just show up on test day with a doctor's note. That's why many people do PTs in a library or coffee shop.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Mon May 30, 2011 3:51 pm

Since earplugs were banned years ago you would have had to apply for special accommodations a while ago with evidence of a proven medical need for them.

Don't bring any into the test center to ask permission from a proctor, they do not have authority to make exceptions to the test day rules.

The proctors are under strict orders to write up a misconduct report about anyone that brings a prohibited item into the test center even if you just want to show it to them to ask if it's ok and are willing to put it back into the car when they say no. Don't risk it.

Just do your hardest to hyper-focus on the test so that you don't pay any attention to and get distracted by ambient background noises.

echo

Postby echo » Mon May 30, 2011 3:57 pm

omeezy4sheezy wrote:
* weapons or firearms"

Sorry, not gonna happen.

I know that (with at least some accommodations) schools are notified that accommodations were made, and they treat the scores differently as a result. This may only apply to extra time or other bigger factors, but I would at least check into that before asking. It may not be worth it even if you would score a point or two higher with the ear plugs.

At any rate, it seems exceedingly unlikely that any of the proctors would make that call and allow you to wear the ear plugs. You would need to contact the LSAC, and it may be too late in the game for the June test.

Quan292

Postby Quan292 » Mon May 30, 2011 11:20 pm

so this no cell phone/ digital watch thing is pretty serious or could I just put them both on silent and call it a day?

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon May 30, 2011 11:24 pm

Quan292 wrote:so this no cell phone/ digital watch thing is pretty serious or could I just put them both on silent and call it a day?

Why in god's name would you risk it? You never know if you'll have a strict proctor or get caught. Analog watch and leave the cell phone in the car.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Mon May 30, 2011 11:26 pm

As someone who has taken the LSAT at different locations with different proctors it is absolutely NOT WORTH RISKING. If you show up with a prohibited item and are caught it can screw you. You do not want a misconduct on your file, just follow the rules and take the test. Why is that such a tough concept for people to follow? You are not a special snow flake.

Edit: I tutor students on the SAT, and one of my high school students had a misconduct reported because his cell phone alarm went off reminding him to take medication. The LSAT is policed far more heavily than the SAT.
Last edited by Icculus on Mon May 30, 2011 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gbpackerbacker

Postby gbpackerbacker » Mon May 30, 2011 11:28 pm

Fill your one gallon ziplock with Cocoa Pebbles, pencils, erasers, watch, and one of those small paper cartons of milk. During the break just pour milk into bag with all of the "fixings." Enjoy.

lakers3peat

Postby lakers3peat » Mon May 30, 2011 11:30 pm

i was under the impression you could bring a phone and keep it turned off? although the walk from the test center to your car might be worth just leaving it in the car...

why bring a cellphone u ask? well maybe the person doesn't have a car and needs to phone a friend/family member to pick them up?

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Mon May 30, 2011 11:33 pm

gbpackerbacker wrote:Fill your one gallon ziplock with Cocoa Pebbles, pencils, erasers, watch, and one of those small paper cartons of milk. During the break just pour milk into bag with all of the "fixings." Enjoy.

We should take out the pencils, erasers, and watch first, right?

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon May 30, 2011 11:35 pm

lakers3peat wrote:i was under the impression you could bring a phone and keep it turned off? although the walk from the test center to your car might be worth just leaving it in the car...

why bring a cellphone u ask? well maybe the person doesn't have a car and needs to phone a friend/family member to pick them up?

Dude, can you not read?
LSAC wrote:"Items Prohibited at the Test Center

You may not bring into the testing center any of the following:

* electronic timers of any kind
* digital watches, alarm watches, beeping watches, calculator watches
* cell phones, pay phones, beepers, pagers, personal digital assistants (PDAs)
* personal computers
* calculators
* photographic or recording devices
* listening devices
* headsets, iPods, or other media players
* books, dictionaries, papers of any kind
* rulers, slide rules, compasses
* mechanical pencils
* briefcases, handbags, backpacks
* earplugs
* weapons or firearms"

You'll notice that it doesn't make exceptions for "phones that are turned off." And I'm sure you can either 1. have someone meet you at a specified time or 2. borrow someone's phone who drove to the test site. It's really not that hard.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Mon May 30, 2011 11:37 pm

PSUdevon wrote:
gbpackerbacker wrote:Fill your one gallon ziplock with Cocoa Pebbles, pencils, erasers, watch, and one of those small paper cartons of milk. During the break just pour milk into bag with all of the "fixings." Enjoy.

We should take out the pencils, erasers, and watch first, right?

It's more delicious if you leave the erasers in, I've found.

girlonfire

Postby girlonfire » Mon May 30, 2011 11:53 pm

don't do anything stupid and change your routine, like deciding ur gonna drink a protein shake or something before the test for a boost... All you'll end up doing is throwing your body off its routine & likely incurring stomach issues before/during the test.
My advice is to do what you normally do. Eat something your used to. I don't recommend adding more caffeine to your routine or anything like that..

I, for example, don't eat breakfast (yes, i know it's bad) so I didn't eat before the test. I brought a banana with me, and some cherry pop tarts. I didn't eat any of it. I did drink a bottle of water, but I usually do so I didn't find myself having to use the restroom during the test.

tl;dr:
don't do anything special. Stick to what you normally eat in the morning.

changing breakfast routine last minute + added stress of the exam = bad news bears

HTH

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Tue May 31, 2011 12:12 am

Skip breakfast. Hunger improves memory and cognition 20-30%. I'm not even joking, I did this for the SAT, college finals, LSAT and now Law School Exams, and it has consistently worked for me.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2063745/

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Tue May 31, 2011 12:14 am

Cupidity wrote:Skip breakfast. Hunger improves memory. I'm not even joking, I did this for the SAT, college finals, LSAT and now Law School Exams, and it has consistently worked for me.

The issue isn't really memory. You should have diagramming and terms down by now, and if not, forgoing the bagel won't help you much. But I'd bet hunger doesn't help focus, if your stomach starts grumbling around Section 3, and it's all about reading closely.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Tue May 31, 2011 12:18 am

PSUdevon wrote:
Cupidity wrote:Skip breakfast. Hunger improves memory. I'm not even joking, I did this for the SAT, college finals, LSAT and now Law School Exams, and it has consistently worked for me.

The issue isn't really memory. You should have diagramming and terms down by now, and if not, forgoing the bagel won't help you much. But I'd bet hunger doesn't help focus, if your stomach starts grumbling around Section 3, and it's all about reading closely.

*Fixed to memory & cognition. It actually helps your thinking in general. Check out the study, it's legit. This is the animal study, I can't find the human companion right now, but I have seen it, same results.

"Horvath says ghrelin represents a primitive system in which a gut hormone acts directly on the higher brain to change synaptic plasticity, and affect cognition. 'If you are hungry, you need to be alert and aware of your environment,' for example to help in finding the next meal. "

Quan292

Postby Quan292 » Tue May 31, 2011 12:46 am

Dany wrote:
Quan292 wrote:so this no cell phone/ digital watch thing is pretty serious or could I just put them both on silent and call it a day?

Why in god's name would you risk it? You never know if you'll have a strict proctor or get caught. Analog watch and leave the cell phone in the car.

See thats the thing I live in nyc and will be taking the test inside of a different borough and will be taking the bus which will be about an hr commute. I won't risk it but I'm not to keen on being in that position.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”