preptest 52, LR1 , q. 19, 16, 24, 21

caitriona

preptest 52, LR1 , q. 19, 16, 24, 21

Postby caitriona » Sun May 29, 2011 1:06 pm

Hello,
Can anyone please explain me questions above.

16, why it is A? And not D.

19, why e?

21, why C and not B?

24, why E?

Thank you.

davesmystery

Re: preptest 52, LR1 , q. 19, 16, 24, 21

Postby davesmystery » Sun May 29, 2011 1:46 pm

16: D states that there is no good reason to believe in them, while A says that it has been demonstrated that there are none. This closely resembles the wording in the stimulus of UFOs being conclusively refuted.

19 is pretty dense but a careful reading will show that the educator is arguing that there should not be a direct vote because electing representatives is the solution that is much more likely to have more influence per vote per member. So you are looking for a principle that says an organization should maximize the voting power of each member. E does that nicely. A and C are probably the most tempting answers depending on how you think, but A talks about the weight of any given vote versus any other vote, which isn't discussed and C talks about why there should be representatives, but that isn't the main point. In these questions, like many others, it is important to keep the main point in mind, especially because in these later questions in the LR sections there will be many red herring and "straw man" answers.

21, I got this one wrong too. But upon a subsequent re-reading I see where I went wrong. The stimulus says that they greatly differ in tone, vocabulary and certain details. The word "greatly" is key to seeing the wrong answer choices here, since B only talks about minor errors and corruptions it is unlikely that these changes led to "great" differences between the two. When I chose this answer I falsely assumed that these minor changes added up every time the text was translated and that led to a great overall change, especially if they were translated by different people. But of course that isn't what is said in B, if it were, it would likely be a much stronger contender for the right answer. The correct answer here says the equivalent of "an author doesn't have to maintain the same style, he/she can write however they want", and C says this by giving a modern example.

24 is a great example of how a must be true question can be incredibly tough. I chose D but realized the stimulus only says it is likely to eliminate the flavor, not that it's the most likely. E is right because intensive pasteurization is the most effective method of killing bacteria, and McElliott's apple juice has only gone through flash pasteurization, which means there are definitely less bacteria in any juice that has been intensely pasteurized.

I hope this all makes sense, as I just took this test yesterday and I am trying to understand my wrong answers as well. I had a hell of a time with this test for some reason.

delusional

Re: preptest 52, LR1 , q. 19, 16, 24, 21

Postby delusional » Sun May 29, 2011 1:49 pm

caitriona wrote:Hello,
Can anyone please explain me questions above.

16, why it is A? And not D.

19, why e?

21, why C and not B?

24, why E?

Thank you.

Assuming I have the correct questions here:

16. It's A because that's almost the exact same argument, transposed onto unicorns and centaurs. In option D there was no conclusive proof against anything, the way there was against UFOs and centaurs.

19. The argument is in favor of "representative democracy" because that would (apparently) maximize the effect of each person's vote. So what? Well, if it there is an axiomatic principle that the process should maximize the weight of each person's vote, it would support the argument.

Gotta run, will try to explain the others later.

ETA: Well, I already types these, so i'll leave them. But you have your answers above.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”