Summer before Sophomore Year: What do I do?

Corbelco

Summer before Sophomore Year: What do I do?

Postby Corbelco » Sat May 28, 2011 11:38 pm

Hey everyone,

[My first post, have been a lurker for a little]

I am certain I wish to attend law school, thus I plan to take the LSAT. What should I be doing now, given that it is the summer before Sophomore year for me? A lot of people recommend waiting to study hardcore until 6 or so months before the exam, but I feel that since I have time now I could do a little? I understand that PrepTests are "valuable" and that I should save them until later.

What do you all think?

Thanks so much in advance!

MrBain_

Re: Summer before Sophomore Year: What do I do?

Postby MrBain_ » Sun May 29, 2011 12:07 am

Double major in PHL. A logic class will def give you a little head start with the games, and reading comp will be much easier after you spend a couple of semesters trying to decide if we have "free will" or not.

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Sun May 29, 2011 12:30 am

MrBain_ wrote:Double major in PHL. A logic class will def give you a little head start with the games, and reading comp will be much easier after you spend a couple of semesters trying to decide if we have "free will" or not.

Throw in some women's and minorities studies classes to learn about how much white men suck. That'll definitely come in handy on at least 1 RC section.

Seriously, though, take a logic class or two. I had no background in that whatsoever, so a prep class was worth it, if only to teach me how to approach logical reasoning questions. Other than that, there's nothing you can't really learn on your own if you're committed enough.

Play around with some practice questions, especially the games, just try and familiarize yourself with the format and the kind of questions. I took my first diagnostic totally cold--I might've done a few "LSAT question of the day" questions, but that was it. I'm lucky enough to be in a position where a late start shouldn't hurt me that much, and given my GPA, it couldn't have hurt me too much anyway, but get your feet wet. And get some kickass grades this year.

totaltest.milan

Postby totaltest.milan » Sun May 29, 2011 8:52 am

I agree with the general tenor of the replies so far. I majored in philosophy and definitely feel that that was a big part of the reason why I scored in the 99th%, it particularly helped on the arguments section. In fact, I ask my students to read philosophy textbooks as part of my approach for the reading comprehension section.

I don't know if PSUdevon was kidding but with all due respect I think the women's/minorities studies thing is a bad idea. Comp. lit. classes in general emphasize an analytical approach that is more or less the opposite of what you need. Stick to philosophy/computer science/math/physics.

Also, I don't recommend taking the test this early on, spending a couple more years in a rigorous intellectual environment is going to really improve your overall reasoning abilities and will be more useful than studying for the test. Finish college, work at a law firm/legal NGO/etc to see if it's something you'd like to do, teach english abroad for a year, and then apply to law school.

_
Last edited by totaltest.milan on Tue May 31, 2011 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Sun May 29, 2011 9:31 am

I think that a larger benefit than your curriculum will come from reading things like The Economist.

There's no reason at this point for targeted study.

Corbelco

Postby Corbelco » Sun May 29, 2011 2:31 pm

Thanks everyone for your responses... they have been very helpful! I understand at this point that it may be more beneficial to improve my overall understanding of the material, such as logic, instead of diving into the bulk of the actual LSAT questions, which I can do later.

If anyone has any more suggestions I'm still all ears!

Thanks again!

PS- The reading comprehension on the SAT was what I did the worst on-- so if anyone has any specific suggestions for that (like some of you already have), that would help me too.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Sun May 29, 2011 2:41 pm

I bombed SAT RC spectacularly and managed to make RC my best LSAT section. The setup is the same, but the substance is a little different. I would think that you might actually have a better time trying to distance yourself from the SAT stuff before you pick up the RC study materials.

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Sun May 29, 2011 2:43 pm

Party and enjoy college

Corbelco

Postby Corbelco » Mon May 30, 2011 12:49 am

incompetentia wrote:I bombed SAT RC spectacularly and managed to make RC my best LSAT section. The setup is the same, but the substance is a little different. I would think that you might actually have a better time trying to distance yourself from the SAT stuff before you pick up the RC study materials.

Thanks. I have NO PROBLEM leaving the SAT RC in the past... I prefer it that way. Is there a general consensus on what part of the LSAT most score best? I know everyone says LGs are the easiest to improve and maintain, so is that true that it is the easiest to get a good score in?

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Mon May 30, 2011 12:52 am

Corbelco wrote:
incompetentia wrote:I bombed SAT RC spectacularly and managed to make RC my best LSAT section. The setup is the same, but the substance is a little different. I would think that you might actually have a better time trying to distance yourself from the SAT stuff before you pick up the RC study materials.

Thanks. I have NO PROBLEM leaving the SAT RC in the past... I prefer it that way. Is there a general consensus on what part of the LSAT most score best? I know everyone says LGs are the easiest to improve and maintain, so is that true that it is the easiest to get a good score in?

The bolded is true; if you study efficiently and intelligently, LG should be not too difficult to consistently score -0.

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Mon May 30, 2011 2:17 am

incompetentia wrote:
Corbelco wrote:

The bolded is true; if you study efficiently and intelligently, LG should be not too difficult to consistently score -0.

Hell, you don't even need to study all that hard. Once you know how to diagram the multiple different types they'll throw at you, and have some familiarity with the type of questions they'll ask, there isn't a logic game you shouldn't be able to handle with relative ease. It's pretty straightforward, even dreaded games like the "mauve dinosaur," which wasn't that bad at all--because there should be no such thing as a "bad game."

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Mon May 30, 2011 10:47 am

Exactly. Knowing what you're doing and how it's working should be more than enough to get logic games down consistently.

Corwin

Postby Corwin » Mon May 30, 2011 4:06 pm

• LG is the most trainable part of the test. Work through the LG Bible, practice, analyze your mistakes, redo old games etc, and you should be fine on that portion.
  • RC takes the longest to train and is less formulaic than LG or LR for obvious reasons. TCR is to read works of reasonable length like articles in the Economist and New Yorker. TBH as an educated citizen you should be reading such things anyway. :P
  • Consider taking a discrete math course. A philosophy class in logic will work just as well if it is a good course.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue May 31, 2011 6:36 pm

Also, take a course where you'll be reading subject material with which you're not familiar. The example I always go to is a scientific article class (for non-science majors). Anything that will give you experience understanding the structure and arguments made using facts that you don't necessarily understand 100%. It will help you with the RC on the LSAT as well as abstracting arguments from English language, which is invaluable on a lot of LR questions.

Corbelco

Postby Corbelco » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:50 pm

Thanks everyone... I actually am taking a discrete math course, it happens to be a required course for my major. I've been hearing a lot about The Economist helping for RC-- I will definitely look into it.

Again, thanks!

rbgrocio

Postby rbgrocio » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:56 pm

Corbelco wrote:Hey everyone,

[My first post, have been a lurker for a little]

I am certain I wish to attend law school, thus I plan to take the LSAT. What should I be doing now, given that it is the summer before Sophomore year for me? A lot of people recommend waiting to study hardcore until 6 or so months before the exam, but I feel that since I have time now I could do a little? I understand that PrepTests are "valuable" and that I should save them until later.

What do you all think?

Thanks so much in advance!

Enjoy life; that's what you need to do. =) Law school will keep you way too busy. Enjoy college.

Postby 071816 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:09 am

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”