Where do you go to study and take practice exams?

notaznguy

Where do you go to study and take practice exams?

Postby notaznguy » Fri May 27, 2011 11:58 pm

So where did you normally study for the LSAT? Most people have been telling me that I shouldn't take practice tests or study in the comfort of my own home because that way I will never get used to testing conditions. I've been recommended to go to a local borders, starbucks, or even the public library where there is some noise.

What other places have you guys gone to study or to even take timed practice exams?

BlueDiamond

Re: Where do you go to study and take practice exams?

Postby BlueDiamond » Sat May 28, 2011 12:00 am

busy intersections, public swimming pools, while driving... just go anywhere that theres some sort of noise that takes you out of your "comfort zone"

Strange

Postby Strange » Sat May 28, 2011 12:03 am

I used to do them at starbucks but the last time I went there I had these two old ladies yapping away. I get that it's good being out of your comfort zone, but I pretty much wasted a PT And unless there's going to be chit-chat during the test I think it's unwise to do them at a place like that.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat May 28, 2011 12:09 am

take them at the public library. starbucks or coffee shops are too noisey. On the actual test there usually wont be anyone talking, but you will hear the occasional goans, sneezes, coughs, sniffles, paper turning and pencils frantically scratching away. If you ahve taken a test in a decent sized lecture hall then the noise will be similar to on the LSAT. If you practice effectively and can get into a zone like state where you can focus only on the question at hand, you wont notice it. But you will have extra adrenaline flowing through your veins ( especially on section 1) and you need to calm yourself down. That can take some extra time, so compensate for that by giving yourself 33 minutes per section on the test and see if it changes much.

I think the point of not taking them in the comfort of your own home is that you need to get used to going somwhere and taking the test in a not so familiar place. Its a little extra stress and pressure that you have to go through, but its not a total game changer for most people.

Postby 071816 » Sat May 28, 2011 12:30 am

Public library is probably the best option.

expat17

Postby expat17 » Sat May 28, 2011 1:43 am

if you know your testing location in advance and it is a publically-accessible one, I highly suggest taking a few of your practice tests at that location. For instance, if your test will be held at a local library building or local law school, try to go to this location in advance and take a practice test there, if not a few sections of your weakest area (RC, Games, etc). I found that this really helped me familiarize myself with my testing location and gets yourself adjusted in advance to wherever the test will be held.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Sat May 28, 2011 1:43 am

I took a fair few at various libraries, and tried a couple cafe-type places on occasion as well. (There are some completely dead ones around here)

I tried to reuse locations as infrequently as possible as well so that I would never be able to get used to a setting in which I was taking a test.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat May 28, 2011 1:54 am

Home with the TV on and my cat crawling across my desk. At my dad's house while he cooked dinner. At the library with kids running around. At work after hours when it's dead silent (by far the most distracting. Every tiny noise made me jump.) On my patio in the sun with music playing. At some family friends' house with two toddlers bouncing around.

I'm not terribly easily distracted to begin with, but after a while of those study environments, I was impervious.

lakers3peat

Postby lakers3peat » Sat May 28, 2011 4:45 am

the public library next to my house is actually really loud. the phone is ringing 24/7 and its super loud. there's always a ton of kids running around and parents failing to be parents. it made me wonder whatever happened to the stereotype of libraries being quiet places. I also wasted a PT by going to a library once. My test room was pretty damn quiet, hoping its the same in a week.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”