LGB Workbook Question

wightjm

LGB Workbook Question

Postby wightjm » Fri May 27, 2011 4:32 pm

Long-time lurker here, but have a few silly questions to get out of the way.

Does anyone have experience with the LGB Workbook? I was wondering whats the best way to go about using it?

Should I complete the LGB at least once then tackle the Workbook or should I find the drills that correspond to the current section of the bible that I am doing?

Thanks in advance!

JD2014

Re: LGB Workbook Question

Postby JD2014 » Fri May 27, 2011 5:05 pm

I bougt the bible and the workbook together, but after doing the bible, I didn't even bother with the workbook. It's basically just 3 or 4 games sections with full explanations on the solutions.

Maybe I'm just harsh, but if you still need to be spoon-fed explanations to logic games after finishing the bible, the outlook is not good.

I found this book to be helpful after the bible: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0974853364
It's 10 logic game sections with explanations. They also try to teach you how to solve them using a system inferior to the bible, which can be ignored.

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Fri May 27, 2011 8:41 pm

JD2014 wrote:I bougt the bible and the workbook together, but after doing the bible, I didn't even bother with the workbook. It's basically just 3 or 4 games sections with full explanations on the solutions.

Maybe I'm just harsh, but if you still need to be spoon-fed explanations to logic games after finishing the bible, the outlook is not good.

I found this book to be helpful after the bible: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0974853364
It's 10 logic game sections with explanations. They also try to teach you how to solve them using a system inferior to the bible, which can be ignored.

Ehh yea OP don't worry about it. I disagree with the above 100%. Almost all, if not all, the higher scoring people I know have done the LGB multiple times, or done it and done other LG books as well. I am on my third sweep of the bible, although this sweep will take ~ 2 days and my first took about 1.5 months. I just got the workbook and I plan on doing the first drilling section now, but saving the full games sections for later as they conflict with my PT schedule right now.

In summation:

I'll get this shit...eventually 8)

Dany

Postby Dany » Fri May 27, 2011 8:55 pm

I worked through the whole LGB, then ordered the Workbook for extra practice that I did the week of the test. I basically just wanted it for the full, timed sections with explanations. I thought it was nice for some extra review (and I went -0 on the real thing, even though I rarely did that in practice before getting the Workbook.) So I'd say, from my experience, using it after going through the LGB was helpful.

JD2014

Postby JD2014 » Sat May 28, 2011 9:11 am

I disagree with the above 100%.

Hates gonna hate? I wasn't disparaging the Logic Games Bible; I think it's very worthwhile. But the Logic Games Bible Workbook has 10 games from the 2003 to 2006 tests, followed by 5 game sections from the 2005-2006 tests. First of all, you shouldn't want to do these tests in the workbook format because these are the games sections you would find in the prep test booklets. Taking full, timed LSATs is far more worthwhile than taking individual sections, and if you're doing a prep test and realize you've seen the game and an explanation before, it kind of ruins it. Second, is it even worth paying $25 to 40 (depending on the retailer) for 50 questions plus 5 sections? Just buy a 10 Actual books for that price.

OP, if you want logic games with explanations, get the Ace the LSAT book. It's 10 game sections, and they don't use questions from prep tests that you would want to save for full length practice exams.

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Sat May 28, 2011 9:42 am

I didn't think you were disparaging the bible- I was talking about the area I bolded. To say that someone's outlook is grim if they still need help with setups/game explanations after doing the LGB is silly. Everyone's different. For example, my third PT I got a -4 between RC/LR1/LR2 combined but then got -8 in LG. It would be ridiculous for me to think it's hopeless or that additional texts about LG are futile.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”